Brain plasticity over the metamorphic boundary: carry-over effect of larval environment on froglet brain development
Article first published online: 6 MAY 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 6, pages 1380–1385, June 2011
How to Cite
TROKOVIC, N., GONDA, A., HERCZEG, G., LAURILA, A. and MERILÄ, J. (2011), Brain plasticity over the metamorphic boundary: carry-over effect of larval environment on froglet brain development. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 1380–1385. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02275.x
- Issue published online: 6 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 6 MAY 2011
- Received 16 December 2010; revised 4 March 2011; accepted 15 March 2011
- 2003. Patterns of natural selection on size at metamorphosis in water frogs. Evolution 57: 872–882. &
- APHA 1985. Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, 16th edn. American Public Health Association, Washington DC.
- 2009. Density-dependence at the terrestrial stage of wood frogs: evidence form a 21-year population study. Copeia 2009: 328–338.
- 1997. Transient “deafness” accompanies auditory development during metamorphosis from tadpole to frog. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94: 14877–14882. &
- 1969. An analysis of density effects and predation in Bufo americanus tadpoles. Ecology 50: 632–644.
- 1992. Predator-induced phenotypical change in body morphology in crucian carp. Science 258: 1348–1350. &
- 1992. Developmental changes in physiological systems. In: Environmental Physiology of the Amphibians (M.E.Feder & W.W.Burggren, eds), pp. 467–531. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. &
- 2008. Hastiness, brain size and predation regime affect the performance of wild guppies in a spatial memory task. Anim. Behav. 76: 911–922. &
- 1980. Predator-prey relationships among larval dragonflies, salamanders, and frogs. Oecologia 46: 285–289. , &
- 2011. The evolution of growth trajectories: what limits growth rate? Biol. Rev. 86: 97–116.
- 2006. Compensatory growth impairs adult cognitive performance. PLoS Biol. 4: 1462–1466. , &
- 1984. Projection patterns of lateral-line afferents in anurans: a comparative HRP study. J. Comp. Neurol. 229: 451–469. , &
- 2010. Relationships between habitat conditions, larval traits, and juvenile performance in a marine invertebrate. Ecology 91: 1401–1413.
- 2010. The shape of things to come: linking developmental plasticity to post-metamorphic morphology in anurans. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 1364–1373. , , , , &
- 2009. Habitat-dependent and -independent plastic responses to social environment in the nine-spined stickleback (Pungitius pungitius) brain. Proc. R. Soc. B 276: 2085–2092. , &
- 2010. Predation- and competition-mediated brain plasticity in Rana temporaria tadpoles. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 2300–2308. , , , &
- 1960. A simplified table for staging anuran embryos and larvae with notes on identification. Herpetologica 16: 183–190.
- 2009. Alarm cues experienced by cane toad tadpoles affect post-metamorphic morphology and chemical defences. Funct. Ecol. 23: 126–132. , , &
- 2007. Density-dependence in the terrestrial life history stage of two anurans. Oecologia 153: 879–889. &
- 2011. Costs and benefits of defenses induced by predators differing in dangerousness. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 1007–1019. , , , &
- 1997. Genetic influence on neurogenesis in the dentate gyrus of adult mice. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94: 10409–10414. , &
- 2006. Early rearing environment impacts cerebellar growth in juvenile salmon. J. Exp. Biol. 209: 504–509. &
- 1998. Fish brains: evolution and ecological relationships. J. Fish. Biol. Fish. 8: 1–36. , &
- 1999. Integration: nervous and sensory systems. In: Tadpoles: The Biology of Anuran Larvae (R.W.McDiarmid & R.Altig, eds), pp. 149–169. The University of Chicago press, Chicago.
- 1998. Breeding habitat selection and larval performance of two anurans in freshwater rock-pools. Ecography 21: 484–494.
- 2007. Volumetric analysis of brain areas indicates a shift in sensory orientation during development in the deep-sea grenadier Coryphaenoides armatus. Raffles Bull. Zool. 14: 7–15. , &
- 2005. Ecological consequences of phenotypic plasticity. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20: 685–692. , , , &
- 2002. Environmental enrichment and the brain. Prog. Brain Res. 138: 109–133. , , , , , et al.
- 1978. Observations on the brain of the coelacanth Latimeria chalumnae: external anatomy and quantitative analysis. J. Morphol. 155: 181–192. , &
- 1998. Inducible phenotypic plasticity of the radula in Lacuna (Gastropoda : Littorinidae). Veliger 41: 201–204.
- 2006. Larval experience and latent effects – metamorphosis is not a new beginning. Integr. Comp. Biol. 46: 323–333.
- 2003. Predators come and predators go: the reversibility of predator-induced traits. Ecology 84: 1840–1848.
- 2007. Getting out alive: how predators affect the decision to metamorphose. Oecologia 152: 389–400.
- 2003. The impact of larval predators and competitors on the morphology and fitness of juvenile treefrogs. Oecologia 134: 596–604. &
- 1998. Phenotypic Evolution: A Reaction Norm Perspective. Sinauer, Sunderland, MA. &
- 1988. Time and size at metamorphosis related to adult fitness in Ambystoma talpoideum. Ecology 69: 184–192. , &
- 2004. The lens has a specific influence on optic nerve and tectum development in the blind cavefish Astyanax. Dev. Neurosci. 26: 308–317. , , &
- 1995. Brain regions and encephalization in anurans: adaptation or stability? Brain Behav. Evol. 45: 96–109. , &
- 2010. Contrasting effects of environmental factors during larval stage on morphological plasticity in post-metamorphic frogs. Climate Res. 43: 31–39. , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Cellular and spatial changes in the anuran superior olive across metamorphosis. Hear. Res. 207: 87–98. &
- 2002. Phenotypic lability and the evolution of predator-induced plasticity in tadpoles. Evolution 56: 361–370.
- 2000. Neural consequences of environmental enrichment. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 1: 191–198. , &
- 1992. The nervous system. In: Environmental Physiology of the Amphibians (M.E.Feder & W.W.Burggren, eds), pp. 9–39. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2010. Foraging behaviour and brain morphology in recently emerged brook charr, Salvelinus fontinalis. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 64: 1905–1914. &