Sexual conflict in Gerris gillettei (Insecta: Hemiptera): intraspecific intersexual correlated morphology and experimental assessment of behaviour and fitness
Version of Record online: 4 MAY 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 7, pages 1505–1516, July 2011
How to Cite
GAGNON, M.-C. and TURGEON, J. (2011), Sexual conflict in Gerris gillettei (Insecta: Hemiptera): intraspecific intersexual correlated morphology and experimental assessment of behaviour and fitness. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 1505–1516. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02283.x
- Issue online: 17 JUN 2011
- Version of Record online: 4 MAY 2011
- Received 20 January 2011; revised 23 March 2011; accepted 28 March 2011
- 2001. Genetic divergence of the seminal signal-receptor system in houseflies: the footprints of sexually antagonistic coevolution? Proc. R. Soc. B 268: 399–405. &
- 2002. Evolution of female colour polymorphism in damselflies: testing the hypotheses. Anim. Behav. 63: 677–685. , &
- 2008. Evolutionary links between reproductive morphology, ecology and mating behavior in opisthobranch gastropods. Evolution 62: 900–916. , &
- 1989. Sexual selection in a water strider – the function, mechanism of selection and heritability of a male grasping apparatus. Oikos 56: 344–350.
- 1992a. Pre-copulatory fighting in a water strider – inter-sexual conflict or mate assessment. Anim. Behav. 43: 559–567.
- 1992b. Spatial variation in selective regimes – sexual selection in the water strider Gerris odontogaster. Evolution 46: 914–929.
- 1997. The evolution of water strider mating systems: causes and consequences of sexual conflicts. In: The Evolution of Mating Systems in Insects and Arachnids (J.C. Choe & B.J. Crespi, eds), pp. 146–163. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1999. Copulatory behavior, genital morphology, and male fertilization success in water striders. Evolution 53: 147–156. &
- 2000. The evolution of polyandry: multiple mating and female fitness in insects. Anim. Behav. 60: 145–164. &
- 1995. Sexual conflict and arms races between the sexes – a morphological adaptation for control of mating in a female insect. Proc. R. Soc. B 261: 123–127. &
- 2002a. Antagonistic coevolution between the sexes in a group of insects. Nature 415: 787–789. &
- 2002b. Correlated evolution of male and female morphologies in water striders. Evolution 56: 936–947. &
- 2005. Sexual Conflict. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ. &
- 1998. Evolution of animal genitalia: patterns of phenotypic and genotypic variation and condition dependence of genital and non-genital morphology in water strider (Heteroptera: Gerridae: Insecta). Genet. Res. 71: 193–212. &
- 1996. Assortative mating by size: a meta-analysis of mating patterns in water striders. Evol. Ecol. 10: 265–284. , , &
- 1997. Evolution of animal genitalia: morphological correlates of fitness components in a water strider. J. Evol. Biol. 10: 613–640. , &
- 2000. Sexual conflict promotes speciation in insects. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97: 10460–10464. , , &
- 2007. Sexual conflict does not drive reproductive isolation in experimental populations of Drosophila pseudoobscura. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 1763–1771. , , , &
- 2007. Phylogeny of diving beetles reveals a coevolutionary arms race between the sexes. PLoS ONE 2: e522. &
- 2001. Intraspecific variation and intersexual correlation in secondary sexual characters of three diving beetles (Coleoptera: Dytiscidae). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 73: 221–232. , &
- 2009. Limnological properties of permafrost thaw ponds in northeastern Canada. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 66: 1635–1648. , &
- 2001. Antagonistic pre- and post-copulatory sexual selection on male body size in a water strider (Gerris lacustris). Proc. R. Soc. B 268: 77–81.
- 1999. Male genital traits and mating interval affect male fertilization success in the water strider Gerris lacustris. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 46: 149–156. &
- 2000. Sex-specific selection and sexual size dimorphism in the waterstrider Aquarius remigis. J. Evol. Biol. 13: 160–170. &
- 2010. Disjunct distributions in Gerris species (Insecta: Hemiptera: Gerridae): an analysis based on spatial and taxonomic patterns of genetic diversity. J. Biogeogr. 37: 170–178. &
- 2005. Speciation and sexual conflict. Evol. Ecol. 19: 167–198. &
- 2002. Sympatric speciation by sexual conflict. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99: 10533–10538. &
- 2001. The evolution of female mate choice by sexual conflict. Proc. R. Soc. B 268: 531–539. , &
- 2005. Xenophilic mating preferences among populations of the jumping spider Habronattus pugillis Griswold. Behav. Ecol. 16: 981–988. &
- 2002. Heteropopulation males have a fertilization advantage during sperm competition in the yellow dung fly (Scathophaga stercoraria). Proc. R. Soc. B 269: 1701–1707. , &
- 2001. Sexually antagonistic coevolution of a postmating-prezygotic reproductive character in desert Drosophila. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 98: 8692–8696. &
- 2005. Shooting darts: co-evolution and counter-adaptation in hermaphroditic snails. BMC Evol. Biol. 5: 25. &
- 1896. Catalogue général des Hémiptères. Vol. 3. Berlin, 275 pp. &
- 2003. The evolution of reproductive isolation through sexual conflict. Nature 423: 979–982. &
- 2002. Patterns of divergence in the effects of mating on female reproductive performance in flour beetles. Evolution 56: 111–120. , &
- 1979. Sexual selection and sexual conflict. In: Sexual Selection and Reproductive Competition in Insects (M.S. Blum & N.A. Blum, eds), pp. 123–166. Academic Press, London.
- 2006. Sexual conflict over mating and fertilization: an overview. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B 361: 235–259.
- 1998. Sexual conflict and speciation. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B 353: 261–274. &
- 1996. Sexual size dimorphism and selection in the wild in the waterstrider Aquarius remigis: body size, components of body size and male mating success. J. Evol. Biol. 9: 317–336. &
- 1997. The enemies within: intergenomic conflict, interlocus contest evolution (ICE), and the intraspecific Red Queen. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 41: 1–10. &
- 2004. tpsDig, Digitize Landmarks and Outlines, Version 2.0. Department of Ecology and Evolution, State University of New York, Stony Brook, New York.
- 2005. The effect of abdominal spines on female mating frequency and fecundity in a water strider. J. Insect. Behav. 18: 619–631. , &
- 2010. Polyandry, multiple mating, and female fitness in a water strider Aquarius paludum. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 64: 657–664. , &
- 2007. Coevolution between harmful male genitalia and female resistance in seed beetles. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104: 10921–10925. , &
- 1992. Convenience polyandry in a water strider – foraging conflicts and female control of copulation frequency and guarding duration. Anim. Behav. 44: 189–202.
- 1996. Analysis of the causal components of assortative mating in water striders. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 38: 279–286. &
- 2002. Sexually antagonistic coevolution in a mating system: combining experimental and comparative approaches to address evolutionary processes. Evolution 56: 754–767. &
- 1994. Sexual conflict and the evolutionary ecology of mating patterns – water striders as a model system. Trends Ecol. Evol. 9: 289–293. , , &
- Statistical Analysis Software (SAS) Institute 2002. SAS Version 9.1. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- 2004) Integrated Morphometrics Package (IMP). Department of Physics, Canisius College, Buffalo, NY. Available at http://www3.canisius.edu/~sheets/morphsoft.html. (
- 2009. It’s about time: the temporal dynamics of phenotypic selection in the wild. Ecol. Lett. 12: 1261–1276. , &
- 1992. Predation risk, food deprivation and nonrandom mating by size in the stream water strider, Aquarius remigis. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 31: 51–56. &
- 1997. Sexual conflict resulting from adaptations to sperm competition. Trends Ecol. Evol. 12: 154–159.
- 2007. Asymmetric mating in the brachypterous grasshopper Podisma sapporensis. Ethology 113: 301–311. &
- 2005. Female polymorphism, frequency dependence, and rapid evolutionary dynamics in natural populations. Am. Nat. 165: 567–576. , &
- 2002. How well do mating frequency and duration predict paternity success in the polygynandrous water strider Aquarius remigis? Evolution 56: 1808–1820. &
- 2006. Sexual conflict and life histories. Anim. Behav. 71: 999–1011. , , &
- 1996. The sexual arms race and phenotypic correlates of mating success in the waterstrider, Aquarius remigis (Hemiptera: Gerridae). J. Insect. Behav. 9: 307–319. &
- 1996. Sex and parenting: the effects of sexual conflict and parentage on parental strategies. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11: A87–A91. &
- 2006. No evidence that experimental manipulation of sexual conflict drives premating reproductive isolation in Drosophila melanogaster. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1033–1039. &