Migratory divides and their consequences for dispersal, population size and parasite–host interactions
Article first published online: 23 MAY 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 8, pages 1744–1755, August 2011
How to Cite
MØLLER, A. P., GARAMSZEGI, L. Z., PERALTA-SÁNCHEZ, J. M. and SOLER, J. J. (2011), Migratory divides and their consequences for dispersal, population size and parasite–host interactions. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 1744–1755. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02302.x
- Issue published online: 13 JUL 2011
- Article first published online: 23 MAY 2011
- Received 28 February 2011; revised 6 April 2011; accepted 19 April 2011
- 2006. Geographical patterns of adaptation within a species’ range: interactions between drift and gene flow. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 203–215. , &
- 2000. Dispersal distances predict subspecies richness in birds. J. Evol. Biol. 13: 480–487. , , &
- 2009. Genetic, morphological, and feather isotope variation of migratory willow warblers show gradual divergence in a ring. Mol. Ecol. 18: 3087–3096. , , , &
- 2001. Bird Migration. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1999. Dispersal, gene flow, and population structure. Q. Rev. Biol. 74: 21–45.
- 2000. Stable isotopes examined across a migratory divide in Scandinavian willow warblers (Phylloscopus trochilus trochilus and Phylloscopus trochilus acredula) reflect their African winter quarters. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 43–48. , , , &
- 2001. Dispersal. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. , , & (ed)
- 1988. Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, 2nd edn. Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ.
- 2001. Parasitism. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 19771994. The Birds of the Western Palearctic. Vols. 1–9. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. & (eds)
- 2008 Reweaving the Tapestry: A Supertree of Birds. PhD Thesis, University of Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland.
- 2006. Animal migration: is there a common migratory syndrome? J. Ornithol. 147: 212–220.
- 1993. Handbook of Avian Body Masses. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- 1964. Butterflies and plants: a study in coevolution. Evolution 18: 586–608. &
- 2002. Phylogenetic analysis and comparative data: a test and review of evidence. Am. Nat. 160: 712–726. , &
- 1988. The evolution of ecological specialization. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 19: 207–233. &
- 2009. Interactions between genetic drift, gene flow, and genetic mosaics drive parasite local adaptation. Am. Nat. 173: 212–224. &
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene-for-gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263: 1003–1009. , , , &
- 2006. Comparing effect sizes across variables: generalization without the need for Bonferroni correction. Behav. Ecol. 17: 682–687.
- 1975. Coevolution of Animals and Plants. University of Texas Press, Austin, TX. &
- 1978. Suppression of phytohaemagglutinin skin response in thymectomized chickens. Poul. Sci. 57: 246–250. , , &
- 1997. The EBCC Atlas of European Breeding Birds: Their Distribution and Abundance. T. and A. D. Poyser, London, UK. &
- 1991. The Comparative Method in Evolutionary Biology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. &
- 1996. Some genetic consequences of ice ages, and their role in divergence and speciation. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 58: 247–276.
- 2000. The genetic legacy of the Quaternary ice ages. Nature 405: 907–913.
- 19922008. Handbook of the Birds of the World. Lynx, Barcelona, Spain. , & (eds)
- 1998. Local adaptation in host-parasite systems. Heredity 81: 361–370. &
- 2002. Gene flow and the limits to natural selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 183–189.
- 2001. A likelihood approach to estimating phylogeny from discrete morphological character data. Syst. Biol. 50: 913–925.
- 1993. Relationship between protein nutritional status and immunocompetence in northern bobwhite chicks. Auk 110: 503–510. , &
- 1999. Comparative population structure and gene flow of a brood parasite, the great spotted cuckoo (Clamator glandarius), and its host, the magpie (Pica pica). Evolution 53: 269–278. , , , &
- 1997. Phylogenies and the comparative method: a general approach to incorporating phylogenetic information into the analysis of interspecific data. Am. Nat. 149: 646–667. &
- 2005. A hemolysis-hemagglutination assay for characterizing constitutive innate humoral immunity in wild and domestic birds. Dev. Comp. Immunol. 29: 275–286. , &
- 1942. Systematics and the Origin of Species. Columbia University Press, New York, NY.
- 2007. Fitness consequences of variation in natural antibodies and complement in the barn swallow Hirundo rustica. Funct. Ecol. 21: 363–371. &
- 2011. The role of parasites in ecology and evolution of migration and migratory connectivity. J. Ornithol., in press. &
- 2006. Density-dependent and latitudinal variation in immune response in birds. Oikos 115: 463–474. , , &
- 2008. Genetic similarity, distribution range and sexual selection. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 213–225. , &
- 2010. Spatial heterogeneity in distribution and ecology of Western Palearctic birds. Ecology 91: 2769–2782. , &
- 2003. Arguments for rejecting the sequential Bonferroni in ecological studies. Oikos 102: 403–405.
- 2005. The effect of migration on local adaptation in a coevolving host-parasite system. Nature 437: 253–256. , &
- 1998. The expected number of heterozygous sites in a subdivided population. Genetics 149: 1599–1604.
- 2004. A farewell to Bonferroni: the problems of low statistical power and publication bias. Behav. Ecol. 15: 1044–1045.
- 2005. Production, modeling, and education: egg geometry calculation using the measurements of length and breadth. Poul. Sci. 84: 482–484.
- 2003. Dynamics of an immune response in house sparrows Passer domesticus in relation to time of day, body condition and blood parasite infection. Oikos 101: 291–298. , , &
- 2007. Weather-related mass-mortality in migrants. Ibis 149: 453–467.
- 2008. The Migration Ecology of Birds. Academic Press, London.
- 1997. Inferring evolutionary processes from phylogenies. Zool. Scr. 26: 331–348.
- 1999. Inferring the historical patterns of biological evolution. Nature 401: 877–884.
- 1998. Patterns of natal and breeding dispersal in birds. J. Anim. Ecol. 67: 518–536. , , &
- 1981. Distribution and host-parasite check-list of the haematozoa of birds in Western Europe. J. Nat. Hist. 15: 419–458.
- 2010. Number and colour composition of nest lining feathers predict eggshell bacterial community in barn swallow nests: an experimental study. Funct. Ecol. 24: 426–433. , , &
- 2011. Low genetic differentiation among reed warbler Acrocephalus scirpaceus populations across Europe. J. Avian Biol. 42: 103–113. , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Community relationships of avian malaria parasites in southern Missouri. Ecol. Monogr. 75: 543–559. , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Contemporary evolution of reproductive isolation and phenotypic divergence in sympatry along a migratory divide. Curr. Biol. 19: 2097–2101. , , &
- 1997. Immunocompetence of nestling barn swallows in relation to brood size and parental effort. J. Anim. Ecol. 66: 827–836. , &
- 2004. Prevalence of blood parasites in European passeriform birds. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: 1363–1370. &
- 1985. Gene flow in natural populations. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 16: 393–430.
- 2009. Geographic distribution of suitable hosts explains the evolution of specialized gentes in the European cuckoo Cuculus canorus. BMC Evol. Biol. 9: 88. , &
- 2000. Threatened Birds of the World. Lynx, Barcelona, Spain. &
- 1998. Evidence for flexibility and constraint in migration systems. J. Avian Biol. 29: 441–446.
- 1998. Comparative phylogeography and postglacial colonization routes in Europe. Mol. Ecol. 7: 453–464. , , &
- 2006. Range retractions and extinction in the face of climate warming. Trends Ecol. Evol. 21: 415–416. , &
- 1994. The Coevolutionary Process. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL and London, UK.
- 2002. The importance of host sociality for parasite specialization and speciation: a comparative study of avian hosts and their fleas (Siphonaptera: Ceratophyllidae). J. Anim. Ecol. 71: 735–748. , &
- 2010. Glacial refugia in pathogens: European genetic structure of anther smut pathogens on Silene latifolia and Silene dioica. PLoS Pathog. 6: e1001229. , , , , &
- 1998. Segregating sites in Wright’s island model. Theor. Popul. Biol. 53: 166–174.
- 2004. A new nested polymerase chain reaction method very efficient in detecting Plasmodium and Haemoproteus infections from avian blood. J. Parasitol. 90: 191–194. , , &
- 1978. Evolution and the Genetics of Populations. IV. Variability Within and among Populations. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 19871995. Der Zug Europäischer Singvögel. Vols. 1–3. Aula Verlag, Wiesbaden, Germany. &