Multiple quantitative trait loci influence intra-specific variation in genital morphology between phylogenetically distinct lines of Drosophila montana
Article first published online: 3 JUN 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 9, pages 1879–1886, September 2011
How to Cite
SCHÄFER, M. A., ROUTTU, J., VIEIRA, J., HOIKKALA, A., RITCHIE, M. G. and SCHLÖTTERER, C. (2011), Multiple quantitative trait loci influence intra-specific variation in genital morphology between phylogenetically distinct lines of Drosophila montana. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 1879–1886. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02316.x
- Issue published online: 12 AUG 2011
- Article first published online: 3 JUN 2011
- Received 24 January 2011; revised 27 April 2011; accepted 28 April 2011
- 1997. The evolution of animal genitalia: distinguishing between hypotheses by single species studies. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 60: 365–379.
- 1998. Comparative evidence for the evolution of genitalia by sexual selection. Nature 393: 784–786.
- 2002. Antagonistic coevolution between the sexes in a group of insects. Nature 415: 787–789. &
- 1998. Evolution of animal genitalia : patterns of phenotypic and genotypic variation and condition dependence of genital and non-genital morphology in water strider (Heteroptera : Gerridae : Insecta). Genet. Res. Camb. 71: 193–212. &
- 2004. The Drosophilidae (Diptera) of Fennoscandia and Denmark. Fauna Entomologica Scandinavica 39. Brill, Leiden, The Netherlands. , , &
- 1997. QTL Cartographer: A Reference Manual and Tutorial for QTL Mapping. Department of Statistics, North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC. , &
- 2010. How stupid not to have thought of that: post-copulatory sexual selection. J. Zool. 281: 78–93.
- 1997. Pleiotropic effects of individual gene loci on mandibular morphology. Evolution 51: 2006–2016. , &
- 1994. Empirical threshold values for quantitative trait mapping. Genetics 138: 963–971. &
- 1985. Sexual Selection and Animal Genitalia. Harward University Press, Cambridge.
- 2009. Static allometry and animal genitalia. Evolution 63: 48–66.
- 2010. Evolution of genitalia: theories, evidence, and new directions. Genetica 138: 5–18.
- 1998. One size fits all? Relationships between the size and the degree of variation in genitalia and other body parts in twenty species of insects and spiders. Evolution 52: 415–431. , , , , &
- 2010. The genomic location of sexually antagonistic variation: some cautionary comments. Evolution 64: 1510–1516.
- 2008. Revisiting the impact of inversions in evolution: from population genetic markers to drivers of adaptive shifts and speciation? Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 39: 21–42. &
- 2004. Chromosomal inversion polymorphisms and adaptation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 482–488. , &
- 2004. Sexual selection and genital evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 87–93. &
- 2005. The evolution of male genitalia: patterns of genetic variation and covariation in the genital sclerites of the dung beetle Onthophagus taurus. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 1281–1292. &
- 1995. Continual change in mate preferences. Nature 377: 420–422. &
- 2002. SHAPE: a computer program package for quantitative evaluation of biological shapes based on elliptic Fourier descriptors. J. Hered. 93: 384–385. &
- 2006. A time-sequence functional analysis of mating behaviour and genital coupling in Drosophila: role of cryptic female choice and male sex-drive in the evolution of male genitalia. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1058–1070. &
- 1994. High resolution of quantitative traits into multiple loci via interval mapping. Genetics 136: 1447–1455. &
- 2011. Sexual and postmating reproductive isolation between allopatric Drosophila montana populations suggest speciation potential. BMC Evol. Biol. 11: 68. , , &
- 2007. Twin intromittent organs of Drosophila for traumatic insemination. Biol. Lett. 3: 401–404.
- 2010. Copulation anatomy of Drosophila melanogaster (Diptera: Drosophilidae): wound-making organs and their possible roles. Zoomorphology 129: 163–174.
- 2006. Chromosome inversions, local adaptation and speciation. Genetics 173: 419–434. &
- 2007. Male courtship song and female preference variation between phylogeographically distinct populations of Drosophila montana. Evolution 61: 1481–1488. , , &
- 2001. Genetic architecture of mandible shape in mice: effects of quantitative trait loci analyzed by geometric morphometrics. Genetics 157: 785–802. , , &
- 1982. Elliptic Fourier features of a closed contour. Comp. Graph. Imag. Proc. 18: 236–258. &
- 2004. Morphological analysis of male mating organ in the Drosophila virilis species group: a multivariate approach. J. Zoolog. Syst. Evol. Res. 42: 135–144. , , , &
- 2009. Intersexual arms race? Genital coevolution in Nephilid spiders (Aranea Nephilidae). Evolution 63: 1451–1463. , &
- 1997. An introgression analysis of quantitative trait loci that contribute to a morphological difference between Drosophila simulans and D. mauritiana. Genetics 145: 339–348. , , &
- 2004. Extreme polymorphism in a Y-linked sexually selected trait. Heredity 92: 156–162. , &
- 1996. Genetic analysis of a morphological shape difference in the male genitalia of Drosophila simulans and D. mauritiana. Genetics 142: 1129–1145. , , , , &
- 1999. A quantitative genetic analysis of male sexual traits distinguishing the sibling species Drosophila simulans and D. sechellia. Genetics 153: 1683–1699. &
- 2001. Map Manager QTX, cross-platform software for genetic mapping. Mamm. Genome 12: 930–932. , &
- 2005. A comparison of regression interval mapping and multiple interval mapping for linked QTL. Heredity 94: 599–605.
- 1963. Animal Species and Evolution. Harward University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- 2009. Sexual conflict over the duration of copulation in Drosophila montana: why is longer better? BMC Evol. Biol. 9: Article Number 132. , , &
- 2005. Naturally segregating quantitative trait loci affecting wing shape of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 169: 2101–2113. , &
- 1992. Evidence for lock-and-key mechanisms in the internal genitalia of the Apamea moth (Lepidoptera, Noctuidae). Syst. Entomol. 17: 145–153.
- 2007. Phylogeographic patterns in Drosophila montana. Mol. Ecol. 16: 1085–1097. , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Comparative polytene chromosome maps of D. montana and D. virilis. Chromosoma 116: 21–27. , , , &
- 2001. Consequences of recombination rate variation on quantitative trait locus mapping studies: simulations based on the Drosophila melanogaster genome. Genetics 159: 581–588. , &
- 1998. Testing natural selection vs. genetic drift in phenotypic evolution using quantitative trait locus data. Genetics 149: 2099–2104.
- 2001. The genetics of species differences. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 343–350.
- 2010. Microscale laser surgery reveals adaptive function of male intromittent genitalia. Proc. Biol. Sci. 277: 1371–1376. &
- 1987. The accumulation of sexually antagonistic genes as a selective agent promoting the evolution of reduced recombination between primitive sex chromosomes. Evolution 41: 911–914.
- 2001. Chromosomal rearrangements and speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 351–358.
- 1993. A revolution in morphometrics. Trends Ecol. Evol. 8: 129–132. &
- 2007. Coevolution between harmful male genitalia and female resistance in seed beetles. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104: 10921–10925. , &
- 2007. The extent of variation in male song, wing and genital characters among allopatric Drosophila montana populations. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 1591–1601. , , , , &
- 1995. Molecular phylogeny and divergence times of drosophilid species. Mol. Biol. Evol. 12: 391404. , &
- 2007. The genetic basis of interspecific differences in genital morphology of closely related carabid beetles. Heredity 98: 385–391. , &
- 2010. QTL for the species-specific male and female genital morphologies in Ohomopterus ground beetles. Mol. Ecol. 19: 5231–5239. , &
- 2010. A microsatellite linkage map for Drosophila montana shows large variation in recombination rates, and a courtship song trait maps to an area of low recombination. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 518–527. , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Evolutionary response to sexual selection in male genital morphology. Curr. Biol. 19: 1442–1446. , , &
- 1998. Genital lock-and-key as a selective agent against hybridization. Evolution 52: 1507–1513. &
- 2008. Complex copulatory behavior and the proximate effect of genital and body size differences on mechanical reproductive isolation in the Millipede Genus Parafontaria. Am. Nat. 171: 692–699. &
- 2010. Multiple speciation events in an arthropod with divergent evolution in sexual morphology. Proc. Biol. Sci. 277: 689–696. &
- 1982. The Genetics and Biology of Drosophila, Vol. 3b. Academic Press, New York.
- 1997. Quantitative genetic analysis of divergence in male secondary sexual traits between Drosophila simulans and Drosophila mauritiana. Evolution 51: 816–832. , , , &
- 1997. Discordant rates of chromosome evolution in the Drosophila virilis species group. Genetics 147: 223–230. , , &
- 2002. Analysis of quantitative trait locus effects on the size and shape of mandibular molars in mice. Genetics 160: 1573–1586. , , &
- 1994. Precision mapping of quantitative trait loci. Genetics 136: 1457–1468.
- 2000. Genetic architecture of a morphological shape difference between two Drosophila species. Genetics 154: 299–310. , , , &
- 2000. Quantitative trait loci affecting components of wing shape in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 155: 671–683. , &