Higher in vitro resistance to oxidative stress in extra-pair offspring
Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 11, pages 2525–2530, November 2011
How to Cite
LOSDAT, S., HELFENSTEIN, F., SALADIN, V. and RICHNER, H. (2011), Higher in vitro resistance to oxidative stress in extra-pair offspring. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 2525–2530. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02374.x
- Issue online: 12 OCT 2011
- Version of Record online: 7 SEP 2011
- Received 16 May 2011; revised 28 July 2011; accepted 28 July 2011
- 2007. Extra-pair paternity in birds: review of the genetic benefits. Evol. Ecol. Res. 9: 855–868. &
- 2004. Increased susceptibility to oxidative stress as a proximate cost of reproduction. Ecol. Lett. 7: 363–368. , , , , &
- 2006. An experimental manipulation of life-history trajectories and resistance to oxidative stress. Evolution 60: 1913–1924. , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Evolution of antioxidant defence mechanisms. Eur. J. Nutr. 39: 53.
- 2006. Carotenoids modulate the trade-off between egg production and resistance to oxidative stress in zebra finches. Oecologia 147: 576–584. , , , , &
- 1992. Sperm Competition in Birds: Evolutionary Causes and Consequences. Academic Press, London. &
- 2008. Fecondity and survival in relation to resistance to oxidative stress in a free-living bird. Ecology 89: 2584–2593. , , , &
- 2003. Neonatal nutrition, adult antioxidant defences and sexual attractiveness in the zebra finch. Proc.R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 270: 1691–1696. , , , , &
- 2001. Erythrocyte osmotic fragility test as the measure of defence against free radicals in rabbits of different age. Acta Vet. Hung. 49: 413–441.
- 2009. Does high antioxidant capacity indicate low oxidative stress? Funct. Ecol. 23: 506–509. &
- 2010. From molecules to living systems: historical and contemporary issues in oxidative stress and antioxidant ecology. Funct. Ecol. 24: 950–959. , , &
- 2009. Reactive oxygen species as universal constraints in life-history evolution. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 276: 1737–1745. &
- 2008. Condition-dependent genetic benefits of extrapair fertilization in female blue tits Cyanistes caeruleus. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1814–1822. , , , , , et al.
- 1996. First gene on the avian W chromosome (CHD) provides a tag for universal sexing of non-ratite birds. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 263: 1635–1641.
- 1996. Chemistry and pathophysiology of oxidation of LDL. Rev. Physiol. Biochem. Pharmacol. 127: 31–64. &
- 2000. Oxidants, oxidative stress and the biology of ageing. Nature 408: 239–247. &
- 2008. Multiple genetic benefits of female promiscuity in a socially monogamous passerine. Evolution 62: 145–156. , , &
- 2006. Immune response of nestling warblers varies with extra-pair paternity and temperature. Mol. Ecol. 15: 3833–3840. , , , &
- 2007. The evolution of infidelity in socially monogamous passerines: neglected components of direct and indirect selection. Am. Nat. 169: 274–281.
- 2007. Free Radicals in Biology and Medicine. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 2010. Sperm of colourful males are better protected against oxidative stress. Ecol. Lett. 13: 213–222. , , , &
- 2010. How to measure oxidative stress in an ecological context: methodological and statistical issues. Funct. Ecol. 24: 960–970. &
- 2007. Revising how the computer program cervus accommodates genotyping error increases success in paternity assignment. Mol. Ecol. 16: 1099.
- 1995. Why do females mate with multiple males? The sexually selected sperm hypothesis. Adv. Study Behav. 24: 291–315. &
- 2009. Behavioural ecology: cuckolder eggs come first. Curr. Biol. 19: 364–366.
- 1997. Extrapair paternity in the blue tit (Parus caeruleus): female choice, male charateristics, and offspring quality. Behav. Ecol. 8: 481. , &
- 2007. Genetic variation for life span, resistance to paraquat, and spontaneous activity in unselected populations of Drosophila melanogaster: implications for transgenic rescue of life span. Mech. Ageing Dev. 128: 486–493. , &
- 2010a. Heritability of resistance to oxidative stress in early life. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 769–775. , , &
- 2010b. Genetic correlation between resistance to oxidative stress and reproductive lifespan in a bird species. Evolution 64: 852–857. , , &
- 2011. Quantitative genetic evidence for trade-off between growth and resistance to oxidative stress in a wild bird. Evol. Ecol. 25: 461–472. , , &
- 2002. Assessment of lifestyle effects on the overall antioxidant capacity of healthy subjects. Environ. Health Persp. 110: 479–486. , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Reproductive effort transiently reduces antioxidant capacity in a wild bird. Behav. Ecol. doi: 10.1093/beheco/arr116. , , &
- 2009. Maternal effects contribute to the superior performance of extra-pair offspring. Curr. Biol. 19: 792–797. , , &
- 2009. Oxidative stress as a mediator of life history trade-offs: mechanisms, measurements and interpretation. Ecol. Lett. 12: 75–92. , &
- 2010. Oxidative stress and the effect of parasites on a carotenoid-based ornament. J. Exp. Biol. 213: 400–407. , , , , &
- 2008. Free radicals run in lizard families. Biol. Lett. 4: 186–188. , , , , , et al.
- 1998. Mechanistic studies on the decomposition of water soluble azo-radical-initiators. J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 2: 2009–2018. , , , &
- 2003. Isolation and characterization of 16 microsatellite loci in the great tit Parus major. Mol. Ecol. Notes 3: 520–522. , , &
- 2001. A cost of reproduction in Drosophila melanogaster: stress susceptibility. Evolution 55: 1600–1608. , &
- 2000. Differential allocation: tests, mechanisms and implications. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15: 397–402.
- 1991. Oxidative Stress: Oxidants and Antioxidants. Academic Press, London.
- 2009. Inflammation and oxidative stress in vertebrate host-parasite systems. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 364: 71–83. &
- 2002. Natural Antioxidants in Avian Nutrition and Reproduction. Nottingham University Press, Nottingham.
- 2008. Oxidative stress and male infertility – a clinical perspective. Hum. Reprod. Update 14: 243–258.
- 1972) Parental investment and sexual selection. In: Sexual Selection and the Descent of Man (B. Campbell, ed.), pp. 139–179. Aldine Press, Chicago, USA. (
- 2008. Avoiding bad genes: oxidatively damaged DNA in germ line and mate choice. Bioessays 30: 1212–1219. , &
- 2005. Resistance to oxidative stress induced by paraquat correlates well with both decreased and increased lifespan in Drosophila melanogaster. Biogerontology 6: 387–395. , &
- 1979. Offspring quality and the polygyny threshold: “The sexy son hypothesis”. Am. Nat. 113: 201–208. &
- 2003. Extra-pair paternity in birds: causes, correlates, and conflict. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 34: 365–396. &
- 2001. Oxidative insult to human red blood cells induced by free radical initiator AAPH and its inhibition by a commercial antioxidant mixture. Life Sci. 69: 75–86. , &