Present address: Laboratoire d’Ecologie Microbienne (UMR 5557, USC 1193), Université Lyon I, INRA, CNRS, bât. G. Mendel, 43 boulevard du 11 novembre 1918, 69622 Villeurbanne, France.
Diversification in temporally heterogeneous environments: effect of the grain in experimental bacterial populations
Article first published online: 7 SEP 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 11, pages 2485–2495, November 2011
How to Cite
VENAIL, P. A., KALTZ, O., OLIVIERI, I., POMMIER, T. and MOUQUET, N. (2011), Diversification in temporally heterogeneous environments: effect of the grain in experimental bacterial populations. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 2485–2495. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02376.x
- Issue published online: 12 OCT 2011
- Article first published online: 7 SEP 2011
- Received 7 June 2011; revised 28 July 2011; accepted 29 July 2011
- 2005. Experimental evolution of Pseudomonas fluorescens in simple and complex environments. Am. Nat. 160: 470–480. , &
- 1990. The ecology and genetics of fitness in Chlamydomonas. I. Genotype-by-environment interaction among pure strains. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B. 295: 295–321.
- 2007. Experimental adaptation to high and low quality environments under different scales of temporal variation. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 296–300. , , &
- 2009. The beagle in a bottle. Nature 457: 824–829. , , &
- 2002. Fluctuating environments and the role of mutation in maintaining quantitative genetic variation. Genet. Res. Camb. 80: 31–46. &
- 2000. Mechanisms of maintenance of species diversity. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 31: 343–366.
- 1997. The role of harsh and fluctuating conditions in the dynamics of ecological communities. Am. Nat. 150: 519–553. &
- 1981. Environmental variability promotes coexistence in lottery competitive systems. Am. Nat. 117: 923–943. &
- 2005. Protecting haploid polymorphisms in temporally variable environments. Genetics 169: 1147–1156.
- 2005. Stable coexistence in a fluctuating environment: an experimental demonstration. Ecology 86: 2815–2824. &
- 1955. Maintenance of genetic heterogeneity. C. S. H. Symp. Quant. Biol. 20: 25–32.
- 1976. The theoretical population genetics of variable selection and migration. Ann. Rev. Genet. 10: 253–280.
- 2002. The influence of fluctuating light intensities on species composition and diversity of natural phytoplankton communities. Oecologia 133: 395–401. , &
- 1972. The effects of stochastic environments on allele frequencies in natural populations. Theor. Popul. Biol. 3: 241–248.
- 1981. Growth of Thiobacillus A2 under alternating growth conditions in the chemostat. J. Gen. Microbiol. 126: 85–96. , &
- 1988. Dynamics of competition in a variable environment: experiments with two diatom species. Ecology 69: 408–417.
- 1963. Polymorphism due to selection of varying direction. J. Genet. 58: 318–323. &
- 2006. How does resource supply affect evolutionary diversification? Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B. 274: 73–78. &
- 1986. Genetic polymorphism in heterogeneous environments: a decade later. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 17: 535–566.
- 2007. An experimental evolutionary study on adaptation to temporally fluctuating pH in Escherichia coli. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 80: 406–421. , &
- 1979. A general hypothesis of species diversity. Am. Nat. 113: 81–101.
- 1961. The paradox of the plankton. Am. Nat. 95: 137–145.
- 2007. On the experimental evolution of specialization and diversity in heterogeneous environments. Ecol. Lett. 10: 272–281. &
- 2007. Temperature fluctuation facilitates coexistence of competing species in experimental microbial communities. J. Anim. Ecol. 76: 660–668. &
- 2002. The experimental evolution of specialists, generalists, and the maintenance of diversity. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 173–190.
- 1998. Experimental evolution in Chlamydomonas. IV. Selection in environments that vary through time at different scales. Heredity 80: 732–741. &
- 1953. Genetic equilibrium when more than one ecological niche is available. Am. Nat. 87: 331–333.
- 1968. Evolution in Changing Environments: Some Theoretical Explorations. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1998. Population and community responses of phytoplankton to fluctuating light. Oecologia 117: 247–257.
- 1964. Competition, habitat selection and character displacement in a patchy environment. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 51: 1207–1210. &
- 1980. Genetic variance, fitness, and homeostasis in varying environments: an experimental check of the theory. Evolution 34: 1219–1222.
- 2002. Experimental adaptive radiation in Pseudomonas. Am. Nat. 160: 569–581. &
- 2003. Divergent evolution during an experimental adaptive radiation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Ser. B 270: 1645–1650. &
- 2004. The evolution of a pleiotropic fitness trade-off in Pseudomonas fluorescens. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101: 8072–8077. , &
- 1987. Regression analysis of natural selection: statistical influence and biological interpretation. Evolution 41: 1149–1161. &
- 1975. Polymorphisms in cyclically-varying environments. Heredity 35: 67–74.
- 1998. Adaptive radiation in a heterogeneous environment. Nature 394: 69–72. &
- 2009. Live where you thrive: joint evolution of habitat choice and local adaptation facilitates specialization and promotes diversity. Am. Nat. 174: E141–E169. , &
- 1997. Experimental evolution in Chlamydomonas III. Evolution of specialist and generalist types in environments that vary in space and time. Heredity 78: 507–514. &
- 1986. An experimental test of the relationship between genetic variation and environmental variation in Tribolium four beetles. Genetics 113: 391–404. , &
- SAS 2003. JMP Statistics and Graphics Guide (Version 184.108.40.206). SAS Institute, Cary, NC.
- 1998. The evolution of Daphnia pulex in a temporally varying environment. Genet. Res. 72: 25–37. &
- 2003. Fitness consequences of a regulatory polymorphism in a seasonal environment. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100: 12782–12786. , &
- 2005. Connections between species diversity and genetic diversity. Ecol. Lett. 8: 767–781. &
- 2008. Diversity and productivity peak at intermediate dispersal rate in evolving metacommunities. Nature 452: 210–214. , , , , &
- 1994. On the coexistence of generalists and specialists. Am. Nat. 144: 692–707. &