The role of physiology in the divergence of two incipient cichlid species
Version of Record online: 28 SEP 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 12, pages 2639–2652, December 2011
How to Cite
DIJKSTRA, P. D., WIEGERTJES, G. F., FORLENZA, M., van der SLUIJS, I., HOFMANN, H. A., METCALFE, N. B. and GROOTHUIS, T. G. G. (2011), The role of physiology in the divergence of two incipient cichlid species. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 2639–2652. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02389.x
- Issue online: 14 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 28 SEP 2011
- Received 25 April 2011; revised 12 August 2011; accepted 15 August 2011
- 2004. An experimental test of the dose–dependent effect of carotenoids and immune activation on sexual signals and antioxidant activity. Am. Nat. 164: 651–659. , , , , , et al.
- 2011. The role of constraints and limitation in driving individual variation in immune response. Funct. Ecol. 25: 61–73. , &
- 1950. An introduction to the study of the ethology of cichlid fishes. Behav. Suppl. 1: 233–366. &
- 2007. Pre–slaughter crowding stress and killing procedures affecting quality and welfare in sea bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) and sea bream (Sparus aurata). Aquaculture 263: 52–60. , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Individual variation and the endocrine regulation of behaviour and physiology in birds: a cellular/molecular perspective. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 363: 1699–1710. &
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. R. Stat. Soc. B 57: 289–300. &
- 2007. MHC adaptive divergence between closely related and sympatric African Cichlids. PLoS ONE 2: e734. , , , &
- 2004. Carotenoids and life–history evolution in animals. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 430: 10–15.
- 2008. Energy Metabolism and Animal Personality. Oikos 117: 641–653. , , &
- 2007. Red fish, blue fish: trade–offs between pigmentation and immunity in Betta splendens. Behav. Ecol. 18: 1139–1145. , &
- 1988. Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences, 2nd edn. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, New York.
- 2006. Correlates of oxidative stress in wild kestrel nestlings (Falco tinnunculus). J. Comp. Physiol. B. 176: 329–337. , , , , , et al.
- 2005. Direct male–male competition can facilitate invasion of new colour types in Lake Victoria cichlids. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 58: 136–143. , &
- 2006. Can male–male competition stabilize speciation? A test in Lake Victoria haplochromine cichlid fish. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 59: 704–713. , , , &
- 2007. Social stimulation, nuptial coloration, androgens, and immunocompetence in a sexual dimorphic cichlid fish. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 61: 599–609. , , &
- 2008. Territory quality affects female preference in a Lake Victoria cichlid fish. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 62: 747–755. , &
- 2009a. Colour polymorphism and intrasexual selection in assemblages of cichlid fish. Behav. Ecol. 20: 138144. , , &
- 2009b. Behavioral dominance between female color morphs of a Lake Victoria cichlid fish. Behav. Ecol. 20: 593–600. , , , &
- 2010. Frequency-dependent social dominance in a color polymorphic cichlid fish. Evolution 64: 2797–2807. , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Sympatric speciation by sexual selection, a critical re-evaluation. Am. Nat. 163: 709–725. , &
- 2009. ROS as universal constraints in life-history evolution. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 276: 1737–1745. &
- 2008. Pleiotropy in the melanocortin system, coloration and behavioural syndromes. Trends Ecol. Evol. 23: 502–510. , &
- 2000. Oxidants, oxidative stress and the biology of ageing. Nature 408: 239–247. &
- 2007. Carotenoid–based plumage colors and immune function: Is there a trade–off for rare carotenoids? Am. Nat. 169: S137–S144. , , &
- 1992. Parasites, bright males, and the immunocompetence handicap. Am. Nat. 139: 603–622. &
- 2008. Differential contribution of neutrophilic granulocytes and macrophages to nitrosative stress in a host-parasite animal model. Mol. Immunol. 45: 3178–3189. , , , , &
- 1982. Social control of developmental rate in the African cichlid fish, Haplochromis burtoni. Z. Tierpsychol. 60: 66–82. &
- 2005. The mbuna cichlids of Lake Malawi: a model for rapid speciation and adaptive radiation. Fish Fish. 6: 1–34. &
- 2001. Social behavior functions and related anatomical characteristics of vasotocin/vasopressin systems in vertebrates. Brain Res. Rev. 35: 246–265. &
- 2007. Colour polymorphism and implications for speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22: 71–79. &
- 2008. Expression of arginine vasotocin in distinct preoptic regions is associated with dominant and subordinate behaviour in an African cichlid fish. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 275: 2393–2402. , , &
- 2004. Sex-specific effects of carotenoid intake on the immunological response to allograft in guppies (Poecilia reticulata). Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: 45–49. , , &
- 2006. Melanin – versus carotenoid-based sexual signals: is the difference really so black and red? Anim. Behav. 71: 749–763. , &
- 1999. Is there an immunological cost to carotenoid-based ornamental colouration. Am. Nat. 154: 589–595.
- 2004. A test of the ‘challenge hypothesis’ in cichlid fish: simulated partner and territory intruder experiments. Anim. Behav. 68: 541–550. , , , &
- 2003. Functional genomics of neural and behavioral plasticity. J. Neurobiol. 54: 272–282.
- 1999. Social status regulates growth rate: consequences for life-history strategies. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 95: 14171–14176. , &
- 1989. Practical Immunology. Blackwell, Oxford. &
- 1996. The Fish Immune System: Organism, Pathogen, and Environment. Academic Press, San Diego. &
- 2000. Plasma steroid-binding globulin mediation of differences in stress reactivity in alternative male phenotypes in tree lizards, Urosaurus ornatus. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 120: 289–299. , , , &
- 2010. Measuring multiple hormones from a single water sample using enzyme immunoassays. Gen. Comp. Endocrinol. 165: 277–285. , &
- 1993. ‘Classical’ and ‘non-classical’ reproductive steroids in fish. Rev. Fish Biol. Fish. 3: 160–180.
- 2004. Adaptive evolution and explosive speciation: the cichlid fish model. Nat. Genet. 5: 289–298.
- 2008. Color change as a potential behavioral strategy. Horm. Behav. 54: 463–470. , , &
- 1994. In vitro T cell activity in two chicken lines divergently selected for antibody response to sheep erythrocytes. Poult. Sci. 73: 336–340. , , &
- 2007. An experimental test of the immunocompetence handicap hypothesis in a teleost fish: 11-ketotestosterone suppresses innate immunity in three-spined sticklebacks. Am. Nat. 170: 509–519. , , , , &
- 2001. Oxidative stress and antioxidants in exercise. Curr. Med. Chem. 8: 829–838. &
- 1994. Carotenoids, parasites, and sexual selection. Oikos 70: 309–311.
- 2004. Intraspecific sexual selection on a speciation trait, male colouration, in the Lake Victoria cichlid Pundamilia nyererei. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: 2445–2452. , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Fitness correlates of male coloration in a Lake Victoria cichlid fish: evidence for parasite-mediated sexual selection. Behav. Ecol. 17: 691–699. , , , &
- 2008. Parasite mediated sexual selection and species divergence in Lake Victoria cichlid fish. Biol. J. Linn. Soc., 94: 53–60. , , &
- 2009. Divergent selection and phenotypic plasticity during incipient speciation in Lake Victoria cichlid fish. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 260–274. , , &
- 2000. The chemistry of reactive oxygen species and related free radicals. In: Free Radical in Exercise and Aging (Z. Rada’k, ed.), pp. 1–34. Human Kinetics, Champaign. &
- 2008. Hormone-mediated suites as adaptations and evolutionary constraints. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. B 363: 1611–1620. &
- 2005. Antioxidant function of many animal pigments: consistent health benefits of sexually selected colorants? Anim. Behav. 69: 757–764.
- 2010. Color polymorphism and correlated characters: genetic mechanisms and evolution. Mol. Ecol. 19: 5101–5125. &
- 2010. Oxidative stress as a life-history constraint: the role of reactive oxygen species in shaping phenotypes from conception to death Funct. Ecology 24: 984–996. &
- 2008. Gonadotropin hormone modulation of testosterone, immune function, performance, and behavioral trade-offs among male morphs of the lizard Uta stansburiana. Am. Nat. 3: 339–357. , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Oxidative stress as a mediator of life history trade–offs: mechanisms, measurements and interpretation. Ecol. Lett. 12: 75–92. , &
- 2009. Niche dimensionality and ecological speciation. In: Speciation and Patterns of Diversity (R. Butlin, J. Bridle & D. Schluter, eds), pp. 127–154. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. &
- 2001. Watching fights raises fish hormone levels. Nature 409: 475. , , &
- 2004. Androgens, interspecific competition and species replacement in hybridizing warblers. Biol. Lett. 271: S498–S500. &
- 2001. Immune responses and resistance to Eimeria acervulina of chickens divergently selected for antibody responses to sheep red blood cells. Poult. Sci. 80: 894–900. , , , &
- 2008. Aggressive biases towards similarly coloured males in Lake Malawi cichlid fishes. Biol. Lett. 4: 156–159. , , &
- 2007. Carotenoids, oxidative stress and female mating preference for longer-lived males. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 274: 1591–1596. , , , &
- 2007. Frequency–dependent physiological trade-offs between competing color morphs. Biol. Lett. 3: 494–497. , , &
- 2006a. Aggressive behaviour and energy metabolism in a cichlid fish, Oreochromis mossambicus. Physiol. Behav. 89: 164–170. , &
- 2006b. Alternative male reproductive tactics and the immunocompetence handicap in the Azorean rock-pool blenny, Parablennius parvicornis. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 901–909. , , &
- 2009. The interaction of sexually and naturally selected traits in the adaptive radiations of cichlid fishes. Mol. Ecol. 18: 169–185.
- 2004. The species flocks of East African cichlid fishes: recent advances in molecular phylogenetics and population genetics. Naturwissenschaften, 91: 277–290. &
- 2000. The Ecology of Adaptive Radiation. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 2006. African cichlid fish: a model system in adaptive radiation research. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 1987–1998.
- 2009. The sequence of events along a “speciation transect” in the Lake Victoria cichlid fish Pundamilia. In: Speciation and Patterns of Diversity (R. Butlin, J. Bridle & D. Schluter, eds), pp. 155–176. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2004. Male-male competition and nuptial-colour displacement as a diversifying force in Lake Victoria cichlid fishes. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: 1345–1353. &
- 1999. Can sympatric speciation by disruptive sexual selection explain rapid evolution of cichlid diversity in Lake Victoria? Ecol. Lett. 2: 262–271. &
- 1997. Cichlid fish diversity threatened by eutrophication that curbs sexual selection. Science 277: 1808–1811. , &
- 1998. Mbipi, the rock-dwelling cichlids of Lake Victoria: description of three new genera and fifteen new species (Teleostei). Ichthyol. Explor. Freshw. 9: 129–228. , , &
- 2008. Speciation through sensory drive in cichlid fish. Nature 455: 620–626. , , , , , et al.
- 2006. The development, physiological, neural and genetic causes and consequences of frequency-dependent selection in the wild. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 37: 581–610. &
- 2008. Novel mechanisms for neuroendocrine regulation of aggression. Front. Neuroendocrinol. 29: 476–489. , , , &
- 2000. Markers of oxidative stress in diabetic patients. Diabetes Res. Clin. Pract. 50: S1. , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Somatostatin regulates aggressive behavior in an African cichlid fish. Endocrinology 147: 5119–5125. &
- 2009. On the origin of species by natural and sexual selection. Science, 326: 1704–1707. , &
- 2002. Increased competition may promote species coexistence. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 99: 8731–8736. , , , , &
- 1999. Good genes, oxidative stress and condition-dependent sexual signals. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 266: 1–12. , , , &
- 1997. The stress response in fish. Physiol. Rev. 77: 591–625.
- 1979. Sexual selection, social competition, and evolution. Proc. Amer. Phil. Soc. 51: 222–234.
- 1990. The ‘challenge hypothesis’: theoretical implications for patterns of testosterone secretion, mating systems, and breeding strategies. Am. Nat. 136: 829–846. , , &
- 1985. Haplochromis nyererei, A New Cichlid Fish from Lake Victoria Named in Honour of Mwalimu Julius Nyerere, President of Tanzania. Brill, Leiden. &
- 2001. Physiology of life history trade-offs in animals Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 32: 95–106. &
- 2007. Evolutionary endocrinology: the developing synthesis between endocrinology and evolutionary genetics. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 38: 793–817. , &