Present address: UMR 7599, UPMC, 4 place Jussieu, Case courrier 188, F-75252 Paris Cedex 05, France.
Ecological speciation in dynamic landscapes
Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 24, Issue 12, pages 2663–2677, December 2011
How to Cite
AGUILÉE, R., LAMBERT, A. and CLAESSEN, D. (2011), Ecological speciation in dynamic landscapes. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 24: 2663–2677. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02392.x
- Issue online: 14 NOV 2011
- Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2011
- Received 13 January 2011; revised 19 August 2011; accepted 19 August 2011
- 2009. Allele fixation in a dynamic metapopulation: founder effects vs refuge effects. Theor. Popul. Biol. 76: 105–117. , &
- 2011. Under which conditions is character displacement a likely outcome of secondary contact? J. Biol. Dyn. 5: 135–146. , , &
- 1999. Population structure and colour variation of the cichlid fishes Labeotropheus fuelleborni Ahl along a recently formed archipelago of rocky habitat patches in southern Lake Malawi. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 266: 119–130. , , , , &
- 2004. Cytotype segregation on regional and microgeographic scales in snow buttercups (Ranunculus adoneus: Ranunculaceae). Am. J. Bot. 91: 1783–1788.
- 1973. Selection for migration modification. Genetics 74: 171–174. &
- 2003. Sexual dimorphism and adaptive speciation: two sides of the same ecological coin. Evolution 57: 2433–2449. &
- 2007. Sympatric speciation: models and empirical evidence. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 38: 459–487. &
- 2007. Delayed evolutionary branching in small populations. Evol. Ecol. Res. 9: 51–69. , , &
- 2008. The effect of population size and recombination on delayed evolution of polymorphism and speciation in sexual populations. Am. Nat. 172: E18–E34. , , &
- 2008. Species richness in Madeiran land snails, and its causes. J. Biogeogr. 35: 647–653.
- 2004. Speciation. Sinauer Associates Sunderland, MA. &
- 2006. Human impacts and the global distribution of extinction risk. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 273: 2127–2133. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2008. Colony genetic organization, fusion and inbreeding in Reticulitermes flavipes from the midwestern US. Sociobiology 51: 307–325. &
- 1999. On the origin of species by sympatric speciation. Nature 400: 354–357. &
- 2004. Adaptive Speciation. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. , , &
- 2005. Adaptive dynamics as a mathematical tool for studying the ecology of speciation processes. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 1194–1200. &
- 1999. The evolutionary ecology of dominance-recessivity. J. Theor. Biol. 198: 519–532.
- 2004. Sexual dimorphism or evolutionary branching? Evol. Ecol. Res. 6: 857–871. , &
- 2006. The long-term evolution of multilocus traits under frequency-dependent disruptive selection. Evolution 60: 2226–2238. &
- 2004. Sympatric speciation by sexual selection: a critical reevaluation. Am. Nat. 163: 709–725. , &
- 2009. Assortative mate choice and dominance modification: alternative ways of removing heterozygote disadvantage. Evolution 63: 334–352. &
- 2004. Evolution restricts the coexistence of specialists and generalists: The role of trade-off structure. Am. Nat. 163: 518–531. , &
- 2010. Variable discrimination and asymmetric preferences in laboratory tests of reproductive isolation between cichlid colour morphs. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 433–439. , &
- 2009. Do geological or climatic processes drive speciation in dynamic archipelagos? The tempo and mode of diversification in Southeast Asian shrews. Evolution 63: 2595–2610. , &
- 2003. Allopatric genetic origins for sympatric host-plant shifts and race formation in Rhagoletis. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100: 10314–10319. , , , , , , , , &
- 1981. Skepticism towards Santa Rosalia, or why are there so few kinds of animals? Evolution 35: 124–138.
- 2008. What, if anything, is sympatric speciation? J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1452–1459. , &
- 2009. Pattern, process and geographic modes of speciation. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 2342–2347. , &
- 2004. Fitness Landscape and the Origin of Species. Princeton Univ Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 1998. Evolutionarily singular strategies and the adaptive growth and branching of the evolutionary tree. Evol. Ecol. 12: 35–57. , , &
- 1977. Exact stochastic simulation of coupled chemical reactions. J. Phys. Chem. 81: 2340–2361.
- 2006. Contrasting hybridization rates between sympatric three-spined sticklebacks highlight the fragility of reproductive barriers between evolutionarily young species. Mol. Ecol. 15: 739–752. , &
- 1996. Cultural inheritance of song and its role in the evolution of Darwin's finches. Evolution 50: 2471–2487. &
- 2009. The secondary contact phase of allopatric speciation in Darwin's finches. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 106: 20141–20148. &
- 2007. The speed of ecological speciation. Funct. Ecol. 21: 455–464. , &
- 2000. The genetic legacy of the Quaternary ice ages. Nature 405: 907–913.
- 2006. Expected coalescence times and segregating sites in a model of glacial cycles. Genet. Mol. Res. 5: 466–474. , , &
- 2010. The risk of competitive exclusion during evolutionary branching: effects of resource variability, correlation and autocorrelation. Theor. Popul. Biol. 77: 95–104. , &
- 2006. Apparent ’sympatric’ speciation in ecologically similar herbivorous beetles facilitated by multiple colonizations of an island. Mol. Ecol. 15: 2935–2947. , &
- 2000. Reinforcement and divergence under assortative mating. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 268: 1649–1655.
- 2001. Reinforcement during ecological speciation. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 268: 1259–1263.
- 2002. Speciation by natural and sexual selection: models and experiments. Am. Nat. 151: 865–884. &
- 1999. Adaptive dynamics in allele space: evolution of genetic polymorphism by small mutations in a heterogeneous environment. Evolution 53: 993–1008. &
- 2008. Competitive speciation and costs of choosiness. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1005–1023. &
- 1994. Speciation by reinforcement of premating isolation. Evolution 48: 1451–1459. &
- 2001. Divergent evolution of dispersal in a heterogeneous landscape. Evolution 55: 246–259. , &
- 1966. Sympatric speciation. Am. Nat. 100: 637–650.
- 2007. Evolution of life-history traits collapses competitive coexistence. J. Theor. Biol. 248: 552–559. &
- 1999. Reinforcement and other consequences of sympatry. Heredity 83: 503–508.
- 2009. Ecological explanations for (incomplete) speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24: 145–156. , &
- 1995. The population genetics of speciation: the evolution of hybrid incompatibilities. Genetics 139: 1805–1813.
- 1996. Waiting for speciation: the effect of population subdivision on the time to speciation. Evolution 50: 1742–1749. &
- 1990. Major low levels of Lake Malawi and their implication for speciation rates in cichlid fishes. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 240: 519–553. , , , , , , &
- 2008. Evolution of dominance under frequency-dependent intraspecific competition. J. Theor. Biol. 251: 210–226. &
- 2010. Evolution of dominance under frequency-dependent intraspecific competition in an assortatively mating population. Evolution 64: 561–582. &
- 1998. Ontogenetic scaling of foraging rates and the dynamics of a size-structured consumer-resource model. Theor. Popul. Biol. 54: 270–293. , , , &
- 1990. Selection for changes in the incidence of wing dimorphism in Gryllus firmus. Heredity 65: 163–168.
- 2004. Adaptive walks on changing landscapes: Levins’ approach extended. Theor. Popul. Biol. 65: 165–178. , &
- 2006. Disruptive selection and then what? Trends Ecol. Evol. 21: 238–245. , , &
- 2009. Adaptive radiation, nonadaptive radiation, ecological speciation and nonecological speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24: 394–399. &
- 2005. Ecological speciation. Ecol. Lett. 8: 336–352. &
- 1992. Selection of foraging habitat and flocking by crow corvus-corone phenotypes in a hybrid zone. Ornis Scand. 23: 111–120.
- 2001. Ecology and the origin of species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 372–380.
- 2006. Does competitive divergence occur if assortative mating is costly? J. Evol. Biol. 19: 570–588. &
- 1998. The effect of male coloration on female mate choice in closely related Lake Victoria cichlids (Haplochromis nyererei complex). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 42: 1–8. &
- 2008a. Speciation reversal and biodiversity dynamics with hybridization in changing environments. Mol. Ecol. 17: 30–44. , , &
- 2008b. Speciation through sensory drive in cichlid fish. Nature 455: 620–626. , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2000. Reinforcement and the genetics of nonrandom mating. Evolution 54: 21–29.
- 1997. The effects on gene flow on reinforcement. Evolution 51: 1764–1772. &
- 2003. The role of reinforcement in speciation: theory and data. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 34: 339–364. &
- 2011. Magic traits in speciation: ‘magic’ but not rare? Trends Ecol. Evol. 26: 389–397. , , , &
- 1979. Frequency- and density-dependent selection on a quantitative character. Genetics 93: 755–771.
- 2004. The maintenance (or not) of polygenic variation by soft selection in heterogeneous environments. Am. Nat. 164: 70–84. &
- 1999. Cichlids of the rift lakes. Sci. Am. 280: 44–49. &
- 2004. Diploid and polyploid cytotype distribution in Melampodium cinereum and M. leucanthum (Asteraceae, Heliantheae). Am. J. Bot. 91: 889–898. , &
- 2000. Historical contingency and ecological determinism interact to prime speciation in sticklebacks, Gasterosteus. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 267: 2375–2384. &
- 2001. Theory and speciation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 330–343. , &
- 2008. Intraspecific aggression and colony fusion in the Argentine ant. Anim. Behav. 75: 583–593. &
- 2001. Sympatric speciation in animals: the ugly duckling grows up. Trends Ecol. Evol. 16: 381–390.
- 2005. 20 questions on Adaptive Dynamics. J. Evol. Biol. 18: 1139–1154. &
- 2007. Hawthorn-infesting populations of Rhagoletis pomonella in Mexico and speciation mode plurality. Evolution 61: 1091–1105. , , , , , , &
- 2002. Morphological and genetic evidence for vicariance and refugium in Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico populations of the hermit crab Pagurus longicarpus. Mar. Biol. 140: 1059–1066. , , &
- 2009. Secondary contact during adaptive radiation: a community matrix for Lake Malawi cichlids. J. Evol. Biol. 22: 882–889. , &
- 2008. Phylogeography and demographic history of Chinese black-spotted frog populations (Pelophylax nigromaculata): Evidence for independent refugia expansion and secondary contact. BMC Evol. Biol. 8: 21. , , &