Abiotic heterogeneity drives parasite local adaptation in coevolving bacteria and phages
Version of Record online: 17 NOV 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 187–195, January 2012
How to Cite
LOPEZ PASCUA, L., GANDON, S. and BUCKLING, A. (2012), Abiotic heterogeneity drives parasite local adaptation in coevolving bacteria and phages. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 187–195. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02416.x
- Issue online: 13 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 17 NOV 2011
- Received 23 August 2011; revised 7 October 2011; accepted 15 October 2011
- 2008. The interactive effects of parasites, disturbance, and productivity on experimental adaptive radiations. Evolution 62: 467–477. , , , &
- 2009. Host mixing and disease emergence. Curr. Biol. 19: 764–767. , , &
- 2000. Linking genetic change to community evolution: insights from studies of bacteria and bacteriophage. Ecol. Letts 3: 362–377. &
- 2004. The effect of parasites and spatial heterogeneity on the evolution of host diversity. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 271: 107–111. , &
- 2002. The evolutionary response of predators to dangerous prey: hotspots and coldspots in the geographic mosaic of coevolution between garter snakes and newts. Evolution 56: 2067–2082. &
- 2002a. Antagonistic coevolution between a bacterium and a bacteriophage. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 269: 931–936. &
- 2002b. The role of parasites in sympatric and allopatric diversification. Nature 420: 496–499. &
- 2006. Antagonistic coevolution with parasites increases the cost of host deleterious mutations. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 273: 45–49. , , , &
- 2007. Experimental adaptation to high and low quality environments under different scales of temporal variation. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 296–300. , , &
- 1994. Virulence and local adaptation of a horizontally transmitted parasite. Science 265: 1084–1086.
- 2009. Inverse-gene-for-gene infection genetics and coevolutionary dynamics. Am. Nat. 174: E230–E242. , &
- 2004. Adaptation varies through space and time in a coevolving host–parasitoid interaction. Nature 431: 841–844. , &
- 2007. Gene flow reverses an adaptive cline in a coevolving host–parasitoid interaction. Am. Nat. 169: 794–801. , &
- 2008. Understanding the limits to generalizability of experimental evolutionary models. Nature 455: 220–223. , , , , &
- 2002. Local adaptation, evolutionary potential and host–parasite coevolution: interactions between migration, mutation, population size and generation time. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 451–462. &
- 2009. Interactions between genetic drift, gene flow, and selection mosaics drive parasite local adaptation. Am. Nat. 173: 212–224. &
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene for gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 263: 1003–1009. , , , &
- 2008. Effects of environmental heterogeneity on victim-exploiter coevolution. Evolution 62: 3100–3116. &
- 2011. Bacteria-phage antagoniostic coevolution in soil. Science 332: 106–109. &
- 2008. Carbon catabolite repression in bacteria: many ways to make the mots out of nutrients. Nature Rev. Microbiol. 6: 613–624. &
- 2007. A synthesis of experimental work on parasite local adaptation. Ecol. Letts 10: 418–434. &
- 2011. Host–parasite coevolutionary arms races give way to fluctuating selection. Ecol. Letts 14: 635–642. , , &
- 2008. A meta-analysis of factors affecting local adaptation between interacting species. Am. Nat. 171: 275–290. &
- 1998. Local-adaptation in host–parasite systems. Heredity 81: 361–370. &
- 2000. Diversity peaks at intermediate productivity in a laboratory microcosm. Nature 406: 508–512. , , &
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Letts 7: 1225–1241. &
- 2011. Local biotic environment shapes the spatial scale of bacteriophage adaptation to bacteria. Am. Nat. in press , , &
- 2007. Pathogen fitness components and genotypes differ in their sensitivity to nutrient and temperature variation in a wild plant–pathogen association. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 2371–2378.
- 2008. Temperature-mediated patterns of local adaptation in a natural plant–pathogen metapopulation. Ecol. Letts 11: 327–337.
- 2009. Role of coevolution in generating biological diversity: spatially divergent selection trajectories. J. Exp. Botany 60: 2957–2970.
- 2008. Heterogeneous selection promotes maintenance of polymorphism in host–parasite interactions. Oikos 117: 1281–1288. &
- 1996. Kinetics of the simultaneous utilization of sugar mixtures by Escherichia coli in continuous culture. Appl. Env. Microbiol. 62: 1493–1499. , &
- 2008. Increasing productivity accelerates host–parasite coevolution. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 853–860. &
- 2010. Antagonistic coevolution across productivity gradients: an experimental test of the effects of dispersal. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 207–211. , &
- 2005. Host–parasite and genotype-by-environment interactions: temperature modifies potential for selection by a sterilizing pathogen. Evolution 59: 70–80. , , &
- 2006. Relative number of generations of hosts and parasites does not influence parasite local adaptation in coevolving populations of bacteria and phages. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1956–1963. &
- 2005. The effect of migration on local adaptation in a coevolving host–parasite system. Nature 437: 253–256. , &
- 2007. Differential impact of simultaneous migration on coevolving hosts and parasites. BMC Evol. Biol. 7: 1. , , , &
- 2006. Parasite local adaptation in a geographic mosaic. Evolution 60: 24–30.
- 2008. Moving beyond common-garden and transplant designs: insight into the causes of local adaptation in species interactions. Am. Nat. 171: 658–668. &
- 2010. Antagonistic coevolution accelerates molecular evolution. Nature 464: 275–278. , , , , , et al.
- 2008. The evolution of specificity in evolving and coevolving antagonistic interactions between a bacteria and its phage. Evolution 62: 1–11. , , , &
- 1996. Physical and genetic map of the Pseudomonas fluorescens SBW25 chromosome. Mol. Micro. 19: 521–533. &
- 1998. Adaptive radiation in a heterogeneous environment. Nature 394: 69–72. &
- 2003. Evolution of cooperation and conflict in experimental bacterial populations. Nature 425: 72–74. &
- 1989. Analyzing tables of statistical tests. Evolution 43: 223–225.
- 1995. Species Diversity in Space and Time. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2000. Host-parasite coevolution in a multilocus gene-for-gene system. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B 267: 2183–2188.
- 2011. Genetic basis of infectivity evolution in a bacteriophage. Mol. Ecol. 20: 981–989. , , &
- 2010. Maintenance of genetic variation in immune defense of a freshwater snail: role of environmental heterogeneity. Evolution 64: 2397–2407. &
- 2005. The Geographic Mosaic of Coevolution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 2002. Local adaptation in the Linum marginale-Melampsora lini host–pathogen interaction. Evolution 56: 1340–1351. , &
- 2006. Phylogeography and the geographic cline in the armament of a seed-predatory weevil: effects of historical events vs. natural selection from the host plant. Mol. Ecol. 15: 4161–4173. &
- 2010. How does spatial dispersal network affect the evolution of parasite local adaptation? Evolution 64: 1795–1801. , &
- 2009. Local adaptation of bacteriophages to their bacterial hosts in soil. Science 325: 833. , , , &
- 2009. Environment can alter selection in host–parasite interactions. Trends Parasitol. 25: 236–244. &
- 2003. Phenotype matching in wild parsnip and parsnip webworms: causes and consequences. Evolution 57: 806–815. &