The contribution of a pollinating seed predator to selection on Silene latifolia females
Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 3, pages 461–472, March 2012
How to Cite
BURKHARDT, A., RIDENHOUR, B. J., DELPH, L. F. and BERNASCONI, G. (2012), The contribution of a pollinating seed predator to selection on Silene latifolia females. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 461–472. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02436.x
- Issue published online: 13 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 13 DEC 2011
- Received 13 July 2011; revised 4 November 2011; accepted 9 November 2011
- 2007. Differential gender selection on floral size: an experimental approach using Cistus salvifolius. J. Ecol. 95: 973–982. &
- 1984. On the measurement of natural and sexual selection: theory. Evolution 38: 709–719. &
- 2008. Plant ploidy level influences selection by butterfly seed predators. Oikos 117: 1020–1025. , &
- 2010. Novel antagonistic interactions associated with plant polyploidization influence trait selection and habitat preference. Ecol. Lett. 13: 330–337. , , , &
- 1996. Impact of flowering phenology of Silene alba and S. dioica on susceptibility to fungal infection and seed predation. Oikos 77: 467–480. &
- 2002. A plant pathogen reduces the enemy-free space of an insect herbivore on a shared host plant. Proc. Biol. Sci. 269: 2197–2204. , , &
- 2006. Aphids on the World’s Herbaceous Plants and Shrubs. 2. The Aphids, 1st edn. John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Chichester. &
- 2009. Generalized linear mixed models: a practical guide for ecology and evolution. Trends Ecol. Evol. 24: 127–135. , , , , , et al.
- 1976. Riddles around pollination of Melandrium album (Mill) Garcke (Caryophyllaceae) during oviposition by Hadena bicruris Hufn. (Noctuidae, Lepidoptera). Proceedings of the Koninklijke Nederlandse Akademie Van Wetenschappen Series C - Biological and Medical Sciences 79: 1–12.
- 1992. Oviposition choices by a predispersal seed predator (Hylemya sp). I. Correspondence with hummingbird pollinators, and the role of plant size, density and floral morphology. Oecologia 91: 56–62.
- 1997. Effects of pollinators, herbivores, and seed predators on flowering phenology. Ecology 78: 1624–1631.
- 1997. Effects of experimental manipulation of inflorescence size on pollination and pre-dispersal seed predation in the hummingbird-pollinated plant Ipomopsis aggregata. Oecologia 110: 86–93. &
- 1999. Variability in pollen load: implications for reproduction and seedling vigor in a rare plant, Silene douglasii var. oraria. Int. J. Plant Sci. 160: 1145–1152. &
- 2006. Pollination ecology of Silene acutifolia (Caryophyllaceae): floral traits variation and pollinator attraction. Ann. Bot. 97: 289–297.
- 2009. Benefits and costs to pollinating, seed-eating insects: the effect of flower size and fruit abortion on larval performance. Oecologia 161: 87–98. , &
- 2004. Direct and indirect effects of pollinators and seed predators to selection on plant and floral traits. Oikos 104: 15–26. , , , &
- 1996. The effects of gender and plant architecture on allocation to flowers in dioecious Silene latifolia (Caryophyllaceae). Int. J. Plant Sci. 157: 493–500. &
- 2003. Artificial selection: a powerful tool for ecologists. Ecology 84: 1650–1660.
- 1996. Effects of flower size and number on pollinator visitation to wild radish, Raphanus raphanistrum. Oecologia 105: 509–516. &
- 2007. The R Book, 1st edn. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester.
- 1981. The effect of pollinators, predators, and energy constraints on the floral ecology and evolution of Trillium erectum. Oecologia 48: 400–406.
- 2007. The genetic integration of sexually dimorphic traits in the dioecious Silene latifolia. In: Sex, Size and Gender Roles: Evolutionary Studies of Sexual Dimorphism (D.F. Fairbairn, W.U. Blanckenhorn & T. Szekely, eds), pp. 115–123. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1996. Sexual dimorphism in flower size. Am. Nat. 148: 299–320. , &
- 2002. Among population variation and correlations in sexually dimorphic traits of Silene latifolia. J. Evol. Biol. 15: 1011–1020. , &
- 2004a. Investigating the independent evolution of the size of floral organs via G-matrix estimation and artificial selection. Evol. Dev. 6: 438–448. , , &
- 2004b. Genetic constraints on floral evolution in a sexually dimorphic plant revealed by artificial selection. Evolution 58: 1936–1946. , , , &
- 2003. Conflicts between plants and pollinators that reproduce within inflorescences: evolutionary variations on a theme. Oikos 100: 3–14. &
- 1991. The effects of floral display on pollinator visitation vary among populations of Phacelia linearis (Hydrophyllaceae). Evol. Ecol. 5: 370–384.
- 1993. An Introduction to the Bootstrap, 1st edn. Chapman and Hall, Boca Raton, Florida. &
- 2001. Analysis of aggregation, a worked example: numbers of ticks on red grouse chicks. Parasitology 122: 563–569. , , , &
- 2005. The Effects of Habitat Fragmentation on a Tritrophic System: Silene latifolia, Hadena bicruris and its Parasitoids. Thesis Utrecht University, Wageningen.
- 2009. Enhanced frugivory on invasive Silene latifolia in its native range due to increased oviposition. J. Ecol. 97: 1010–1019. &
- 2005. Plant population size and isolation affect herbivory of Silene latifolia by the specialist herbivore Hadena bicruris and parasitism of the herbivore by parasitoids. Oecologia 144: 416–426. , , &
- 2007a. Time after time: flowering phenology and biotic interactions. Trends Ecol. Evol. 22: 432–439. , , , , &
- 2007b. Distribution and colonisation ability of three parasitoids and their herbivorous host in a fragmented landscape. Basic Appl. Ecol. 8: 75–88. , , &
- 2004. Adaptation varies through space and time in a coevolving host-parasitoid interaction. Nature 431: 841–844. , &
- 2004. Opposing natural selection from herbivores and pathogens may maintain floral-color variation in Claytonia virginica (Portulacaceae). Evolution 58: 2426–2437.
- 1996. Rates of floral evolution: adaptation to bumblebee pollination in an alpine wildflower, Polemonium viscosum. Evolution 50: 120–125.
- 1999. Flowers and enemies: predation by nectar-thieving ants in relation to variation in floral form of an alpine wildflower, Polemonium viscosum. Oikos 85: 426–434.
- 2001. Down the tube: pollinators, predators, and the evolution of flower shape in the alpine skypilot, Polemonium viscosum. Evolution 55: 1963–1971. &
- 2008. Spatial variation in selection on corolla shape in a generalist plant is promoted by the preference patterns of its local pollinators. Proc. Biol. Sci. 275: 2241–2249. , , , , &
- 2007. Dos and don’ts of testing the geographic mosaic theory of coevolution. Heredity 98: 249–258. , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Selective flower abortion maintains moth cooperation in a newly discovered pollination mutualism. Ecol. Lett. 13: 321–329. , , , &
- 2005. Effects of floral display size and plant density on pollinator visitation rate in a natural population of Digitalis purpurea. Funct. Ecol. 19: 383–390. , &
- 2009. Darwin’s beautiful contrivances: evolutionary and functional evidence for floral adaptation. New Phytol. 183: 530–545. &
- 1992. The Aphidoidea (Hemiptera) of Fennoscandia and Denmark. IV: Family Aphididae. Part 1 of Tribe Macrosiphini of Subfamily Aphidinae, 1st edn. Scandinavian Science Press Ltd., Leiden, New York, Kobenhavn, Köln.
- 2002. Interaction of pollinators and herbivores on plant fitness suggests a pathway for correlated evolution of mutualism- and antagonism-related traits. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 99: 16823–16828. , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Interspecific population regulation and the stability of mutualism: fruit abortion and density-dependent mortality of pollinating seed-eating insects. Oikos 113: 563–571. &
- 2009. Realized tolerance to nectar robbing: compensation to floral enemies in Ipomopsis aggregata. Ann. Bot. 103: 1425–1433.
- 2003. The role of herbivores in the maintenance of a flower color polymorphism in wild radish. Ecology 84: 1733–1743. , , , &
- 2006. Experimental analysis of constitutive and induced defence in a plant-seed-predator system. Funct. Ecol. 20: 966–972. &
- 1996. Reproduction and pollination in central European populations of Silene and Saponaria species. Bot. Acta 109: 316–324. , &
- 2010. Male moths provide pollination benefits in the Silene latifolia–Hadena bicruris nursery pollination system. Funct. Ecol. 24: 534–544. &
- 2009. Role of coevolution in generating biological diversity: spatially divergent selection trajectories. J. Exp. Bot. 60: 2957–2970.
- 1983. The measurement of selection on correlated characters. Evolution 37: 1210–1226. &
- 2006. Accessory costs of seed production. Oecologia 150: 310–317. &
- 2011. Comparative population genetic structure in a plant-pollinator/seed predator system. Mol. Ecol. 20: 4618–4630. , , &
- 1992. The quantitative genetics of sexual dimorphism in Silene latifolia (Caryophyllaceae). 1. Genetic variation. Evolution 46: 445–457.
- 2001. Individual flower demography, floral phenology and floral display size in Silene latifolia. Evol. Ecol. Res. 3: 845–860. &
- 2008. The contribution of parasitism to selection on floral traits in Heuchera grossulariifolia. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 958–965. &
- 1994. Effects of inflorescence size on visits from pollinators and seed set of Corydalis ambigua (Papaveraceae). Oecologia 98: 25–30. &
- 2008. Predispersal seed herbivores, not pollinators, exert selection on floral traits via female fitness. Ecology 89: 1802–1810. &
- 2003. Mixed models: getting the best use of parasitological data. Trends Parasitol. 19: 370–375. &
- 1994. Evolutionary stability of mutualism between yuccas and yucca moths. Nature 372: 257–260. &
- R Development Core Team. 2009. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna.
- 2006. The geographic mosaic in predispersal interactions and selection on Helleborus foetidus (Ranunculaceae). J. Evol. Biol. 19: 21–34. , , , , , et al.
- 1995. Differential abortion in the yucca. Nature 376: 557–558. &
- 2005. Identification of selective sources: partitioning selection based on interactions. Am. Nat. 166: 12–25.
- 2009. Pollinator-mediated selection on floral display and flowering time in the perennial herb Arabidopsis lyrata. Evolution 63: 1292–1300. &
- 1997. Anther smut disease in Dianthus silvester (Caryophyllaceae): natural selection on floral traits. Evolution 51: 383–392. , &
- 2007. Sexual dimorphism in the quantitative-genetic architecture of floral, leaf, and allocation traits in Silene latifolia. Evolution 61: 42–57. , &
- 2006. Non-pollinator agents of selection on floral traits. In: Ecology and Evolution of Flowers (L.D. Harder & C.H. Barett, eds), pp. 120–138. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 2005. Coevolution: the geographic mosaic of coevolutionary arms races. Curr. Biol. 15: R992–R994.
- 2002. Geographic structure and dynamics of coevolutionary selection. Nature 417: 735–738. &
- 1998. Floral display, pollinator visitation and reproductive success in the dioecious perennial herb Wurmbea dioica (Liliaceae). Oecologia 115: 93–101. &
- 2001. Interactions between seed predators/pollinators and their host plants: a first step towards mutualism? Oikos 95: 324–334. &
- 2002. Why alien invaders succeed: support for the escape-from-enemy hypothesis. Am. Nat. 160: 705–711.
- 2004. Increased susceptibility to enemies following introduction in the invasive plant Silene latifolia. Ecol. Lett. 7: 813–820. , &
- 2003. Pollination and seed predation drive flowering phenology in Silene latifolia (Caryophyllaceae). Ecology 84: 2062–2073. &
- 2002. The effects of stigma age on receptivity in Silene alba (Caryophyllaceae). Am. J. Bot. 89: 1237–1241. &
- 1998. Choices and consequences of oviposition by Hylemya (Delia) sp. (Diptera: Anthomyiidae). J. Insect Behav. 11: 371–381. &