The impact of uniform and mixed species blood meals on the fitness of the mosquito vector Anopheles gambiae s.s: does a specialist pay for diversifying its host species diet?
Article first published online: 4 JAN 2012
© 2011 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2011 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 3, pages 452–460, March 2012
How to Cite
LYIMO, I. N., KEEGAN, S. P., RANFORD-CARTWRIGHT, L. C. and FERGUSON, H. M. (2012), The impact of uniform and mixed species blood meals on the fitness of the mosquito vector Anopheles gambiae s.s: does a specialist pay for diversifying its host species diet?. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 452–460. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02442.x
- Issue published online: 13 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 4 JAN 2012
- Received 19 July 2011; Revised 22 September 2011; Accepted 6 November 2011
- 2006a. The effects of switching behavior on the evolutionary diversification of generalist consumers. Am. Nat. 168: 645–659.
- 2006b. The prerequisites for and likelihood of generalist-specialist coexistence. Am. Nat. 167: 329–342.
- 2002. Induction of preference and performance after acclimation to novel hosts in a phytophagous spider mite: adaptive plasticity? Am. Nat. 159: 553–565. , &
- 2005. Effect of diet on development and reproduction of the harvestman Phalangium opilio (Opiliones : Phalangiidae). Environ. Entomol. 34: 6–13. &
- 1996. Frequent blood-feeding and restrictive sugar-feeding behaviour enhance the malaria vector potential of Anopheles gambiae s.l. and An. funestus (Diptera: Culicidae) in Western Kenya. J. Med. Entomol. 33: 613–618.
- 1970. The influence of the blood meal type on the fecundity of Aedes aegypti (Stegomyia)L. (Diptera:Culicidae). Can. J. Zool. 48: 539–543.
- 1994. Dietary mixing in a generalist herbivore: tests of two hypotheses. Ecology 75: 1997–2006. , , &
- 2006. Superior reproductive success on human blood without sugar is not limited to highly anthropophilic mosquito species. Med. Vet. Entomol. 20: 53–59. , &
- 2002. Model Selection and Multimodel Inference a Practical Information-Theoretic Approach. Springer, New York. &
- 1993. The culture and preparation of gametocytes of Plasmodium falciparum for immunochemical, molecular and mosquito infectivity studies. In Methods in Molecular Biology, vol 21; Protocols in Molecular Parasitology (J.E. Hyde, ed.), vol. 21, pp. 67–89. Humana Press Inc, Totowa, NJ. , &
- 2007. The R Book. John Wiley & Sons Inc, Chichester, UK.
- 1975. Effects of different bloodmeal sources on digestion and egg production in Culex tarsalis Coq (Diptera:Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 12: 431–437. &
- 1987. Host defensive behaviour and the feeding success of mosquitoes. Insect Sci. Appl. 8: 617–622. &
- 2004. Evolution restricts the coexistence of specialists and generalists: the role of trade-off structure. Am. Nat. 163: 518–531. , &
- 1988. The evolution of ecological specialization. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 19: 207–233. &
- 2001. Effects of availability of sugar on the reproductive fitness and vectorial capacity of the malaria vector Anopheles gambiae (Diptera: Culicidae). J. Med. Entomol. 38: 22–28. &
- 2004. Anopheles gambiae feeding and survival on honeydew and extra-floral nectar of peridomestic plants. Med. Vet. Entomol. 18: 102–107. &
- 2006. Diel timing and frequency of sugar feeding in the mosquitoes Anopheles gambiae, depending on sex, gonotrophic state and resource availability. Med. Vet. Entomol. 20: 308–316. &
- 2009. Effect of sugar on male Anopheles gambiae mating performance, as modified by temperature, space and body size. Parasit. Vectors 2: 1–13. , &
- 1953. The duration of the gonotrophic cycle in Anopheles gambiae and Anopheles funestus, with a note on the efficiency of hand catching. East Afr. Med. J. 30: 129–135.
- 1965. A study of the age-composition of populations of Anopheles gambiae Giles and An. funestus Giles in North-Eastern Tanzania. Bull. Entomol. Res. 56: 237–262. &
- 1972. The range of attraction of animal baits and carbon dioxide for mosquitoes. Studies in a freshwater area of West Africa. Bull. Entomol. Res. 61: 389–404. &
- 2001. Why do female Aedes aegypti (Diptera: Culicidae) feed preferentially and frequently on human blood? J. Med. Entomol. 38: 411–422. , &
- 1998. The influence of three cereal aphid species and mixed diet on larval survival, development and adult weight of Coccinella septempunctata. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 89: 319–322. , &
- 1991. The value of comparative haematological studies. Comp. Haematol. Int. 1: 1–9.
- 1991. Erythrocyte size, number and haemoglobin content in vertebrates. Br. J. Haematol. 77: 392–397. , , , &
- 1995. Interractions between bloodfeeding, fecundity and infection in mosquitoes. Parasitol. Today 11: 411–416. , &
- 2005. Evaluating the costs of mosquito resistance to malaria parasites. Evolution 59: 2560–2572. , , , &
- 1990. Host Specialization in Phytophagous Insects. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 21: 243–273.
- 2009. Environmental factors associated with the malaria vectors Anopheles gambiae and Anopheles funestus in Kenya. Malar. J. 8: 268. , &
- 2006. West Nile virus epidemics in North America are driven by shifts in mosquito feeding behavior. PLoS Biol. 4: e82. , , , &
- 2007. Genetic influences on mosquito feeding behavior and the emergence of zoonotic pathogens. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 77: 667. , , , , &
- 2004. A global index representing the stability of malaria transmission. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 70: 486–498. , , , , &
- 1962. Theory of fitness in a heterogeneous environment. i. The fitness set and adaptive function. Am. Nat. 96: 361–373.
- 2009. Ecological and evolutionary determinants of host species choice in mosquito vectors. Trends Parasitol. 25: 189–196. &
- 1966. On optimal use of a patchy environment. Am. Nat. 100: 603–609. &
- 2007. Discriminative feeding behaviour of Anopheles gambiae s.s. on endemic plants in western Kenya. Med. Vet. Entomol. 21: 103–111. , , , , , et al.
- 1983. Effect of host blood source on the gonotrophic cycle of Aedes triseriatus. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 32: 189. &
- 2008. Dietary complementation across life stages in the polyphagous lady beetle Coleomegilla maculata. Entomol. Exp. Appl. 126: 40–45. &
- 1986. Essentials of Veterinary Hematology. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, PA.
- 1980. Interactions among three trophic levels: influence of plants on interactions between insect herbivores and natural enemies. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 11: 41–65. , , , , &
- 1977. Optimal foraging: a selective review of theory and tests. Q. Rev. Biol. 52: 137–154. , &
- 1980. Optimal Foraging for Complementary Resources. Am. Nat. 116: 324–346.
- 2010. Laboratory and field evidence of post-release changes to the ecological host range of Diorhabda elongata: has this improved biological control efficacy? Biol. Control 53: 353–359. , &
- 1990. Ecological genetics and host adaptation in herbivorous insects – the experimental study of evolution in natural and agricultural systems. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 35: 421–446.
- 1933. Variations in the size and hemoglobin content of erythrocytes in the blood of various vertebrates. Folia Haematol. 51: 32–49.
- 1937a. Comparative effects of the blood of different species of vertebrates on egg production of Aedes aegypti. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 17: 729–745.
- 1937b. Comparative effects of the blood of man and of canary on egg-production of Culex pipiens Linn. J. Parasitol. 23: 311–313.