Size scaling and stiffness of avian primary feathers: implications for the flight of Mesozoic birds
Article first published online: 19 JAN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 3, pages 547–555, March 2012
How to Cite
WANG, X., NUDDS, R. L., PALMER, C. and DYKE, G. J. (2012), Size scaling and stiffness of avian primary feathers: implications for the flight of Mesozoic birds. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 547–555. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2011.02449.x
- Issue published online: 13 FEB 2012
- Article first published online: 19 JAN 2012
- Received 13 October 2011; revised 7 December 2011; accepted 8 December 2011
Vol. 25, Issue 11, 2376, Article first published online: 27 SEP 2012
- 1983. Allometry of the leg bones of moas (Dinornithes) and other birds. J. Zool. 200: 215–231.
- 1979. Allometry of the limb bones of mammals from shrews (Sorex) to elephant (Loxodonta). J. Zool. (Lond.) 189: 305–314. , , &
- 1996. The mechanical properties of feather keratin. J. Zool. (Lond.) 239: 477–484.
- 1995. The Young’s modulus of feather keratin. J. Exp. Biol. 198: 1029–1033. &
- 2008. Flexural characteristics and aerodynamic aspects of the design of the bird feather shaft. Dokl. Phys. 53: 476–479. , &
- 2003. Young’s modulus varies with differential orientation of keratin in feathers. J. Struct. Biol. 143: 118–123. , &
- 2008. Life history of a basal bird: morphometrics of the early Cretaceous Confuciusornis. Biol. Lett. 4: 719–723. , , &
- 1998. In vivo strains in pigeon flight feather shafts: implications for structural design. J. Exp. Biol. 201: 3057–3065. &
- 1993. CRC Handbook of Avian Body Masses, 1st edn. CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton.
- 1985. Phylogenies and the comparative method. Am. Nat. 125: 1–15.
- 2008. A Phylogenomic study of birds reveals their evolutionary history. Science 320: 1763–1768. , , , , , et al.
- 1991. The Comparative Method in Evolutionary Biology. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. &
- 1966. Structure, Form, Movement. Reinhold Publishing Corporation, New York.
- 2010. Relationship between osteology and aquatic locomotion in birds: determining modes of locomotion in extinct Ornithurae. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 372–385. &
- 1988. The structural relationship: regression in biology. Can. J. Zool. 66: 2329–2339.
- 1973. Size and shape in biology. Science 179: 1201–1204.
- 2010. Narrow primary feather rachises in Confuciusornis and Archaeopteryx suggest poor flight ability. Science 328: 886–889. &
- 2004. Forelimb proportions and the evolutionary radiation of Neornithes. Proc. R. Soc. B (Suppl.) 271: 324–327. , &
- 2007. Avian brachial index and wing-kinematics: putting movement back into bones. J. Zool. 272: 218–226. , &
- 2011. Scaling of avian primary feather length. PLoS ONE 6: e15665. , &
- 1989. Bird Flight Performance: A Practical Calculation Manual. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 1978. Mechanical properties of primary feathers from the pigeon. J. Exp. Biol. 72: 251–260. &
- 1995. Comparative analysis by independent contrasts (CAIC): an Apple Macintosh application for analysing comparative data. Comput. Appl. Biosci. 11: 247–251. &
- 1985. Linear relations in biomechanics: the statistics of scaling functions. J. Zool. (Lond.) 206: 415–439.
- 1973. Linear regressions in fishery research. J. Fish. Res. Board Can. 30: 409–434.
- 2010. Forelimb skeletal morphology and flight mode evolution in pelecaniform birds. Zoology 113: 39–46.
- 1995. Biometry: The Principles and Practice of Statistics in Biological Research. W. H. Freeman and Company, New York. &
- 2005. How Archaeopteryx could run over water. Archaeopteryx 23: 23–32.
- 1990. Structural Biomaterials, (Revised edn). Princeton University Press, Princeton.
- 1976. Mechanical Design in Organisms. Princeton University Press, Princeton. , , &
- 2011. The primary feather lengths of early birds with respect to avian wing shape evolution. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 1226–1331. , &
- 2008. Archaeopteryx der urvogel von Solnhofen. Verlag Dr Friedrich P feil, Muenchen, Germany.
- 1996. The scaling of the size and stiffness of primary flight feathers. J. Zool. (Lond.) 239: 609–624.
- 2006. Feathered dinosaurs from China and the evolution of major avian Characters. Integr. Zool. 1: 4–11.