Rapid evolution of body fluid regulation following independent invasions into freshwater habitats
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 4, pages 625–633, April 2012
How to Cite
LEE, C. E., POSAVI, M. and CHARMANTIER, G. (2012), Rapid evolution of body fluid regulation following independent invasions into freshwater habitats. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 625–633. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2012.02459.x
- Issue published online: 15 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2012
- Received 17 September 2011; revised 18 November 2011; accepted 13 December 2011
- 1999. Ion transport processes of crustacean epithelial cells. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 72: 1–18. , , , , &
- 1959. Plankton in Lake Ontario. Div. Res., Dept. Lands and Forests, Maple, Ontario. &
- 2001. The biology of decapod crustacean larvae. Crustacean Issues 14: 1–420.
- 2007. Adaptive shifts in osmoregulatory strategy and the invasion of freshwater by Brachyuran crabs: evidence from Dilocarcinus pagei (Trichodactylidae). J. Exp. Zool. 307A: 688–698. , , &
- 2009. Evolutionary transition to freshwater by ancestral marine palaemonids: evidence from osmoregulation in a tide pool shrimp. Aquat. Biol. 7: 113–122. , , , &
- 1969. The body fluids of some centropagid copepods: total concentration and amounts of sodium and magnesium. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 28: 1403–1409.
- 1950. The retention of salt and the regulation of the non-protein nitrogen fraction in the blood of the aquatic larva, Sialis lutaria. J. Exp. Biol. 27: 96–109. &
- 2001. Energizing epithelial transport with the vacuolar H+-ATPase. News Physiol. Sci. 16: 145–151.
- 1989. Occurrence of the calanoid copepod Eurytemora affinis (Poppe) in the Ohio River at Louisville, Kentucky. J. Crustacean Biol. 9: 83–84. &
- 1971. A comparative study of osmotic regulation in four species of calanoid copepod. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 38B: 361–371. &
- 1993. Ecological aspects, explosive range extension and impact of a mass invader, Corophium curvispinum Sars, 1895 (Crustacea: Amphipoda), in the Lower Rhine (The Netherlands). Oecologia 93: 224–232. , &
- 1998. Ontogeny of osmoregulation in crustaceans: a review. Invertebr. Reprod. Dev. 33: 177–190.
- 2011. Ontogeny of osmoregulatory patterns in the South American shrimp Macrobrachium amazonicum: loss of hypo-regulation in a land-locked population indicates phylogenetic separation from estuarine ancestors. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 396: 89–98. &
- 2009. Osmotic and ionic regulation in aquatic arthropods. In: Osmotic and Ionic Regulation. Cells and Animals (D. H Evans, ed.), pp. 165–230. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL/New York, NY/Oxford, UK. , &
- 1954. Veranderingen in de Flora en Fauna van de Zuiderzee (thans IJsselmeer) na de Afsluiting in 1932. C. de Boer Jr, the Netherlands.
- 2007. Changing salinity induces alterations in hemolymph ion concentrations and Na+ and Cl- transport kinetics of the anal papillae in the larval mosquito, Aedes aegypti. J. Exp. Biol. 210: 983–992. , , &
- 2003. Adaptive patterns of osmotic and ionic regulation, and the invasion of fresh water by the palaemonid shrimps. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part A 136: 771–778. , , , &
- 2006. The origin of insects. Science 314: 1883–1884. , , , &
- 1997. A comparative study of two sympatric species within the genus Callinectes: osmoregulation, long-term acclimation to salinity and the effects of salinity on growth and moulting. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 218: 165–186. &
- 1978. Oxygen consumption of Eurytemora hirundoides nauplii and adults as a function of salinity. Ann. Zool. Fenn. 15: 328–330. &
- 1979. The effects of temperature and salinity on the oxygen consumption of Eurytemora hirundoides (Crustacea, Copepoda). Ann. Zool. Fenn. 16: 205–208. &
- 1996) Testing evolutionary hypotheses of acclimation. In: Phenotypic and Evolutionary Adaptation to Temperature (I.A. Johnston & A.F. Bennett, eds), pp. 205–237. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge. & (
- 1999. Testing the adaptive significance of acclimation: a strong inference approach. Am. Zool. 39: 323–336. , , &
- 1957. A Treatise on Limnology. John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York.
- 1980. Range extensions of some gammaridean species in European inland waters caused by human activity. Crustaceana (Supplement) 6: 84–107.
- 2000. Some problems of crustacean taxonomy related to the phenomenon of Horohalinicum. Hydrobiologia 417: 109–113. &
- 1965. Respiration and osmotic behaviour of the copepod Acartia tonsa in diluted sea water. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 14: 155–165.
- 2008. Physiological responses to salinity changes of the isopod Idotea chelipes from the Baltic brackish waters. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. Part A: Mol. Integr. Physiol. 149: 299–305. &
- 2007. Environmental factors influencing the biodeposition of the suspension feeding bivalve Dreissena polymorpha (Pallas): comparison of brackish and freshwater populations. Estuar. Coast. Shelf. Sci. 75: 459–467. , , , , &
- 1999. Rapid and repeated invasions of fresh water by the saltwater copepod Eurytemora affinis. Evolution 53: 1423–1434.
- 2000. Global phylogeography of a cryptic copepod species complex and reproductive isolation between genetically proximate “populations”. Evolution 54: 2014–2027.
- 1999. Causes and consequences of recent freshwater invasions by saltwater animals. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14: 284–288. &
- 2003. Effects of developmental acclimation on adult salinity tolerance in the freshwater-invading copepod Eurytemora affinis. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 76: 296–301. &
- 2003. Evolution of physiological tolerance and performance during freshwater invasions. Integr. Comp. Biol. 43: 439–449. , &
- 2007. Response to selection and evolvability of invasive populations. Genetica 129: 179–192. , &
- 2011. Pumping ions: Rapid parallel evolution of ionic regulation following habitat invasions. Evolution 65: 2229–2244. , , , &
- 2002. A comparative study of osmoregulation in four fiddler crabs (Ocypodidae: Uca). Zool. Sci. 19: 643–650. , &
- 1983. The Colonisation of Land: Origins and Adaptations of Terrestrial Animals. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1990. The Terrestrial Invasion: An Ecophysiological Approach to the Origins of Land Animals. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1959. The regulation of the internal sodium concentration of Asellus aquaticus in the absence of sodium chloride in the medium. J. Exp. Biol. 36: 556–561.
- 2006. Molecular ecology of zebra mussel invasions. Mol. Ecol. 15: 1033–1050. , , , &
- 1958. The relict fauna of Lake Merced, San Francisco. J. Mar. Res. 17: 375–382.
- 2002. Slow crawl across the salinity divide: delayed colonization of freshwater ecosystems by invertebrates. Geol. Soc. Am. Today 12: 4–10. &
- 1979. Composition and distribution of Caspian fauna in the light of modern data. Int. Rev. Gesamten Hydrobiol. 64: 1–38.
- 1999. Energy cost of NaCl transport in isolated gills of cutthroat trout. Am. J. Physiol. – Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 277: R631–R639. &
- 2001. Neuroendocrine regulation of osmoregulation and the evolution of air-breathing in decapod crustaceans. J. Exp. Biol. 204: 979–989.
- 2001. Sodium and chloride regulation in freshwater and osmoconforming larvae of Culex mosquitoes. J. Exp. Biol. 204: 3345–3354. , &
- 1995. Osmotic regulation in crustaceans. J. Crustacean Biol. 15: 1–60.
- 2000. Recent mass invasion of the North American Great Lakes by Ponto-Caspian species. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15: 62–65. &
- 1984. Salinity-temperature tolerance and osmoregulation in Eurytemora affinis (Poppe) (Copepoda: Calanoida) in relation to its distribution in the zooplankton of the upper reaches of the Forth Estuary. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 79: 191–211. , &
- SAS. 2003. Version 9.1. SAS Institute Inc., Cary, NC.
- 1982. The effects of independent sodium and chloride depletion on ion balance in freshwater mussels. Can. J. Zool. 60: 1676–1682. &
- 1999. Osmoregulation and the transition from marine to freshwater and terrestrial life: a comparative study of Jamaican crabs of the genus Sesarma. Arch. Hydrobiol. 145: 331–347. &
- 1986. Osmoregulation in Corophium curvispinum (Crustacea: Amphipoda), a recent coloniser of freshwater. I. Sodium ion regulation. J. Comp. Physiol. B. 156: 323–329. &
- 2010. Ecophenotypic physiology: osmoregulation by fiddler crabs (Uca spp.) from the northern Caribbean in relation to ecological distribution. Mar. Freshw. Behav. Physiol. 43: 339–356. , &
- 2007. V-type H+-ATPase and Na+,K+-ATPase in the gills of 13 euryhaline crabs during salinity acclimation. J. Exp. Biol. 210: 620–627. &
- 1996. Evaluation of different phytoplankton for supporting development of zebra mussel larvae (Dreissena polymorpha): the importance of size and polyunsaturated fatty acid content. J. Great Lakes Res. 22: 36–45. , &
- 2005. Fate of endocrine-disruptor, pharmaceutical, and personal care product chemicals during simulated drinking water treatment processes. Environ. Sci. Technol. 39: 6649–6663. , , &
- 1995. Potassium transport in the freshwater bivalve Dreissena polymorpha. J. Exp. Biol. 198: 861–868. &
- 2004. Environmental Physiology of Animals, 2nd edn. Wiley-Blackwell. , &
- 1992. Comparative Animal Physiology. Saunders College Publishing, New York.
- 1992. Water and solute balance in the transition to land. Integr. Comp. Biol. 32: 428–437.