Modelling the maintenance of egg polymorphism in avian brood parasites and their hosts
Version of Record online: 9 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 5, pages 916–929, May 2012
How to Cite
LIANG, W., YANG, C., STOKKE, B. G., ANTONOV, A., FOSSØY, F., VIKAN, J. R., MOKSNES, A., RØSKAFT, E., SHYKOFF, J. A., MØLLER, A. P. and TAKASU, F. (2012), Modelling the maintenance of egg polymorphism in avian brood parasites and their hosts. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 916–929. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2012.02484.x
- Issue online: 5 APR 2012
- Version of Record online: 9 MAR 2012
- Received 1 November 2011; revised 23 January 2012; accepted 27 January 2012
- 2006. Rapid increase in cuckoo egg matching in a recently parasitized reed warbler population. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1901–1910. , , , , &
- 1983. Visual search and selection of natural stimuli in the pigeon: the attention threshold hypothesis. J. Exp. Psychol. Anim. Behav. Process. 9: 292–306.
- 2007. The evolution of color polymorphism: crypticity, searching images, and apostatic selection. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 38: 489–514.
- 1988. Egg mimicry by cuckoos Cuculus canorus in relation to discrimination by hosts. Nature 335: 630–632. &
- 2007. Do cuckoos choose nests of great reed warblers on the basis of host egg appearance?. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 1218–1222. , &
- 1993. Inheritance of egg-color polymorphism in the village weaver (Ploceus cucullatus). Auk 110: 683–692.
- 1970. Introduction to Population Genetics Theory. Harper & Row Publishers, New York, NY. &
- 2000. Cuckoos, Cowbirds and Other Cheats. Poyser, London.
- 1988. Cuckoos versus reed warblers. Adaptations and counter-adaptations. Anim. Behav. 36: 262–284. &
- 2011. Genetic differentiation among sympatric cuckoo host races: males matter. Proc. Biol. Sci. 278: 1639–1645. , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Local adaptation and the geometry of host-parasite coevolution. Ecol. Lett. 5: 246–256.
- 1998. Coevolutionary chase in two-species systems with applications to mimicry. J. Theor. Biol. 191: 415–427. &
- 2000. Genetic evidence for female host-specific races of the common cuckoo. Nature 407: 183–186. , , , , &
- 2000. Inheritance and variation in eggshell patterning in the great tit Parus major. Proc. Biol. Sci. 267: 2469–2473. , &
- 1998. Host use and egg color of Japanese cuckoos. In: Parasitic Birds and Their Hosts: Studies in Coevolution (S.I. Rothstein & S.K. Robinson, eds), pp. 80–93. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 2005. Behaviour of African turbid hosts towards experimental parasitism with artificial red-chested cuckoo Cuculus solitarius eggs. J. Avian Biol. 36: 517–522. , &
- 1993. Celadon: an eggshell color mutation in Japanese quail. J. Hered. 84: 146–147. , , &
- 1973. The Evolution of Melanism. Clarendon, Oxford.
- 2006. The evolution of egg colour and patterning in birds. Biol. Rev. 81: 383–406.
- 1995. Egg-color dimorphism and breeding success in the crow tit (Paradoxornis webbiana). Auk 112: 831–839. , &
- 2006. Multilocus genetics and the coevolution of quantitative traits. Evolution 60: 1321–1336. &
- 2002. Brood parasitism and egg matching in the Red-chested Cuckoo Cuculus solitarius in southern Africa. Ibis 144: 632–639. &
- 2004. Effect of host egg color dimorphism on interactions between the vinous-throated parrotbill (Paradoxornis webbianus) and common cuckoo (Cuculus canorus). Korean J. Biol. Sci. 8: 77–80. &
- 2005. Egg rejection by both male and female vinous-throated parrotbills Paradoxornis webbianus. Integr. Biosci. 9: 211–213. , &
- 2008. Eggshell spotting in brood parasitic shiny cowbirds (Molothrus bonariensis) is not linked to the female sex chromosome. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 62: 1193–1199. , , &
- 1998. Melanism. Oxford University Press, Oxford.
- 1995. Egg-morphs and host preference in the common cuckoo (Cuculus canorus): an analysis of cuckoo and host eggs from European museum collections. J. Zool. 236: 625–648. &
- 1990. Behavioural responses of potential hosts towards artificial cuckoo eggs and dummies. Behaviour 116: 64–89. , , , , &
- 2000. Common cuckoo Cuculus canorus and host behaviour at reed warbler Acrocephalus scirpaceus nests. Ibis 142: 247–258. , , , , &
- 2008. Individual female common cuckoos Cuculus canorus lay constant egg types but egg appearance cannot be used to assign eggs to females. J. Avian Biol. 39: 238–241. , , , , , et al.
- 2010. On the heritability of blue-green eggshell coloration. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 1783–1791. , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Avian egg colour and sexual selection: does eggshell pigmentation reflect female condition and genetic quality? Ecol. Lett. 6: 803–806. &
- 2008. Blue-green eggs in pied flycatchers: an experimental demonstration that a supernormal stimulus elicits improved nestling condition. Ethology 114: 1078–1083. , , &
- 2002. European Cuckoo Cuculus canorus parasitism and host’s rejection behaviour in a heavily parasitized great reed warbler Acrocephalus arundinaceus population. Ibis 144: 614–622. &
- 2007. Mathematical Biology: I. An Introduction, 3rd edn. Springer, Berlin.
- 2006. Coevolutionary alternation in antagonistic interactions. Evolution 60: 2207–2217. &
- 2005. The coevolutionary dynamics of antagonistic interactions mediated by quantitative traits with evolving variances. Evolution 59: 2073–2082. , &
- 2007. Antagonistic coevolution mediated by phenotypic differences between quantitative traits. Evolution 61: 1823–1834. , &
- 1995. Evolution of variation in egg color and marking pattern in European passerines: adaptations in a coevolutionary arms race with the Cuckoo Cuculus canorus. Behav. Ecol. 6: 166–174. , &
- 1975. Evolutionary rates and host defenses against avian brood parasitism. Am. Nat. 109: 161–176.
- 1990. A model system for co-evolution: avian brood parasitism. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 21: 481–508.
- 2000. Host-parasite coevolution in a multilocus gene-for-gene system. Proc. Biol. Sci. 267: 2183–2188.
- 1988. Dynamics of some simple host-parasite models with more than two genotypes in each species. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 319: 541–555.
- 2005. Blue and green egg-color intensity is associated with parental effort and mating system in passerines: support for the sexual selection hypothesis. Evolution 59: 636–644. , , &
- 2002. Obligate brood parasites as selective agents for evolution of egg appearance in passerine birds. Evolution 56: 199–205. , &
- 2007. The importance of clutch characteristics and learning for antiparasite adaptations in hosts of avian brood parasites. Evolution 61: 2212–2228. , , &
- 2003. Co-evolutionary dynamics of egg appearance in avian brood parasitism. Evol. Ecol. Res. 5: 345–362.
- 2005. A theoretical consideration on co-evolutionary interactions between avian brood parasites and their hosts. Ornithol. Sci. 4: 65–72.
- 2011. Modeling the consequence of increased host tolerance toward avian brood parasitism. Popul. Ecol. 53: 187–192. &
- 2007a. Stability of genetic polymorphism in host-parasite interactions. Proc. Biol. Sci. 274: 809–817. &
- 2007b. Polymorphism in multilocus host-parasite coevolutionary interactions. Genetics 177: 1777–1790. &
- 2005. The Geographic Mosaic of Coevolution. University of Chicago Press, Chicago, IL.
- 1992. Inheritance of tinted eggshell colors in white-shell stocks. Poult. Sci. 71: 406–418. , &
- 2010. Coevolution in action: disruptive selection on egg colour in an avian brood parasite and its host. PLoS ONE 5: e10816. , , , , , et al.
- 2010. When does coevolution promote diversification?. Am. Nat. 176: 802–817. &