Present address: University of Sheffield, Department of Animal & Plant Sciences, Western Bank, Sheffield S10 2TN, UK.
Mechanisms and fitness effects of antibacterial defences in a carrion beetle
Article first published online: 12 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 5, pages 930–937, May 2012
How to Cite
ARCE, A. N., JOHNSTON, P. R., SMISETH, P. T. and ROZEN, D. E. (2012), Mechanisms and fitness effects of antibacterial defences in a carrion beetle. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 930–937. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2012.02486.x
- Issue published online: 5 APR 2012
- Article first published online: 12 MAR 2012
- Received 15 December 2011; revised 27 January 2012; accepted 31 January 2012
- 2006. Chemically mediated competition between microbes and animals: microbes as consumers in food webs. Ecology 87: 2821–2831. , , , , , et al.
- 1991. The Evolution of Parental Care. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2009. Sexual division of antibacterial resource defence in breeding burying beetles, Nicrophorus vespilloides. J. Anim. Ecol. 79: 35–43. &
- 2010. Personal immunity versus social immunity. Behav. Ecol. 21: 663–668. &
- 2010. Fitness costs associated with mounting a social immune response. Ecol. Lett. 13: 1114–1124. , , &
- 2001. A community of ants, fungi and bacteria: a multilateral approach to studying symbiosis. Annu. Rev. Microbiol. 55: 357–380.
- 2011. Secondary metabolites released by the burying beetle Nicrophorus vespilloides: chemical analyses and possible ecological functions. J. Chem. Ecol. 37: 724–735. , &
- 1992. Managing the offspring environment – brood care in the bromeliad crab, Metopaulias depressus. Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 30: 125–134.
- 1998. Parental care improves offspring survival and growth in burying beetles. Anim. Behav. 55: 97–107. , &
- 2011. Inhibition of microorganisms on a carrion breeding resource: the antimicrobial peptide activity of burying beetle (Coleoptera: Silphidae) oral and anal secretions. Environ. Entomol. 40: 669–678. , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Zymogram with Remazol brilliant blue-labeled Micrococcus lysodeikticus cells for the detection of lysozymes: example of a new lysozyme activity in Formosan termite defense secretions. Anal. Biochem. 312: 73–76. , , &
- 2011. Cryptic combat against competing microbes is a costly component of parental care in a digger wasp. Anim. Behav. 82: 321–328. , &
- 2004. Differences among antimicrobial properties of carrion beetle secretions reflect phylogeny and ecology. J. Chem. Ecol. 30: 719–729. , , , &
- 1977. Why fruits rot, seeds mold, and meat spoils. Am. Nat. 111: 691–713.
- 2000. Delayed benefits of paternal care in the burying beetle Nicrophorus vespilloides. Anim. Behav. 60: 443–451. , &
- 2003. Antimicrobial egg cleaning by the fringed darter (Perciformes: Percidae: Etheostoma crossopterum): implications of a novel component of parental care in fishes. Proc. Biol. Sci. 270: 2405–2411. , &
- 2011. Exclusive male egg care and determinants of brooding success in a millipede. Ethology 117: 19–27. , , , &
- 2003. Antimicrobial properties of lysozyme in relation to foodborne vegetative bacteria. Crit. Rev. Microbiol. 29: 191–214. &
- 2009. Aromatic plants in nests of the blue tit Cyanistes caeruleus protect chicks from bacteria. Oecologia 161: 849–855. , , , , &
- 1998. Carcass maintenance and biparental brood care in burying beetles: are males redundant? Ecol. Entomol. 23: 195–200. , &
- 1965. A rapid and sensitive assay of muramidase. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 119: 384–386. , &
- 1933. Okoloische untersuchungen an Necrophorus. Zeitschrift fur Morphologie und Oekologie der Tiere 27: 518–586.
- 1997. Pre-oral digestion: a phospholipase A2 associated with oral secretions in adult burying beetles, Nicrophorus marginatus. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B 118: 375–380. , , , &
- 2008. Antimicrobial strategies in burying beetles breeding on carrion. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105: 17890–17895. , &
- 2006. Tricine-SDS-PAGE. Nat. Protoc. 1: 16–22.
- 1998. The ecology and behaviour of burying beetles. Annu. Rev. Entomol. 43: 595–618.
- 2002. Does resource availability affect offspring begging and parental provisioning in a partially begging species? Anim. Behav. 63: 577–585. &
- 2011. Sex differences in immunity and rapid upregulation of immune defence during parental care in the burying beetle, Nicrophorus orbicollis. Funct. Ecol. 25: 1369–1378. , , , &