Plasticity and heritability of morphological variation within and between parapatric stickleback demes
Article first published online: 30 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 6, pages 1097–1112, June 2012
How to Cite
McCAIRNS, R. J. S. and BERNATCHEZ, L. (2012), Plasticity and heritability of morphological variation within and between parapatric stickleback demes. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 1097–1112. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2012.02496.x
- Issue published online: 15 MAY 2012
- Article first published online: 30 MAR 2012
- Received 20 October 2011; accepted 24 February 2012
- 2004. Image processing with ImageJ. Biophotonics Int. 11: 36–42. , &
- 2009. Microgeographical diversification of threespine stickleback: body shape-habitat correlations in a small, ecologically diverse Alaskan drainage. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 98: 139–151.
- 2008. Phenotypic variation and sexual dimorphism in anadromous threespine stickleback: implications for postglacial adaptive radiation. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 95: 465–478. , , &
- 2008. The genetics of adaptive shape shift in stickleback: pleiotropy and effect size. Evolution 62: 76–85. , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Pivotal bootstrap methods for k-sample problems in directional statistics and shape analysis. J. Am. Stat. Assoc. 102: 695–707. , &
- 2009. Evolutionary diversification of opercle shape in Cook Inlet threespine stickleback. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 97: 832–844. , &
- 2008. Natural selection on a major armor gene in threespine stickleback. Science 322: 255–257. , &
- 2007. lme4: linear mixed-effects models using S4 classes. , & .
- 1995. Phenotypic, genetic, and environmental integration of morphology in a stream population of the threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 52: 1307–1317.
- 2011. Evolution and molecular mechanisms of adaptive developmental plasticity. Mol. Ecol. 20: 1347–1363. , &
- 1994. Paleobiology and evoslution of threespine stickleback. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback (M.A. Bell & S.A. Foster, eds), pp. 438–469. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 2001. Lateral plate evolution in the threespine stickleback: getting nowhere fast. Genetica 112: 445–461.
- 1994. Introduction to the evolutionary biology of the threespine stickleback. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback (M.A. Bell & S.A. Foster, eds), pp. 1–27. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK. & .
- 2004. Twelve years of contemporary armor evolution in a threespine stickleback population. Evolution 58: 814–824. , &
- 2003. Asymmetry in structural defenses: insights into selective predation in the wild. Evolution 57: 2128–2138. &
- 2008. Natural selection drives patterns of lake-stream divergence in stickleback foraging morphology. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 1653–1665. , , &
- 2011. Quantitative genetic inheritance of morphological divergence in a lake-stream stickleback ecotype pair: implications for reproductive isolation. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 1975–1983. , , , , &
- 1957. Quantitative laws in metabolism and growth. Q. Rev. Biol. 32: 217–231.
- 2008. Predictable patterns of disruptive selection in stickleback in postglacial lakes. Am. Nat. 172: 1–11. &
- 1989. Principal warps: thin-plate splines and the decomposition of deformations. IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 11: 567–585.
- 1998. Morphometrics of trophic osteology in the threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus. Copeia 1998(4): 827–838. &
- 2008. Morphometrics with R. Springer, New York, NY.
- 2007. Phenotypic plasticity and contemporary evolution in introduced populations: evidence from translocated populations of white sands pupfish (Cyrpinodon tularosa). Ecol. Res. 22: 902–910. , , &
- 2005. Widespread parallel evolution in sticklebacks by repeated fixation of ectodysplasin alleles. Science 307: 1928–1933. , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Parallel genetic basis for repeated evolution of armor loss in Alaskan threespine stickleback populations. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101: 6050–6055. , , , , , et al.
- 2000. Quantitative evaluation of apple (Malus × domestica Borkh.) fruit shape by principal component analysis of Fourier descriptors. Euphytica 111: 219–227. , , , , &
- 1996. The effect of behavioural and morphological plasticity on foraging efficiency in the threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus sp.). Oecologia 108: 380–388. &
- 1994. A comparison of two sticklebacks. Evolution 48: 1723–1734. , &
- 2009. Non-Euclidean statistics for covariance matrices, with applications to diffusion tensor imaging. Ann. Appl. Stat. 3: 1102–1123. , &
- 2012. The Shapes Package: Statistical Shape Analysis in R. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. Contributed package. http://www.stat.sc.edu/~dryden/shapes/.
- 1986. Natural Selection in the Wild. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ.
- 2001. The von Bertalanffy growth function, bioenergetics, and the consumption rates of fish. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 58: 2129–2138. , &
- 1996. Introduction to Quantitative Genetics. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA. &
- 2003. Evolutionary and ecological functional genomics. Nat. Rev. Genet. 4: 651–657. &
- 2011. Costly plastic morphological responses to predator specific odour cues in three-spined sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Evol. Ecol. 25: 641–656. , , , , , et al.
- 2010. Thermally induced plasticity of body shape in adult zebrafish Danio rerio (Hamilton, 1822). J. Morphol. 271: 1319–1327. &
- 2007. Adaptive versus non-adaptive phenotypic plasticity and the potential for contemporary adaptation in new environments. Funct. Ecol. 21: 394–407. , , &
- 1991. Procrustes methods in the statistical analysis of shape. J. R. Stat. Soc. Series B Methodol. 53: 285–339.
- 1995. Adaptive plasticity and plasticity as an adaptation: a selective review of plasticity in animal morphology and life-history. Oikos 74: 3–17. &
- 2005. hierfstat, a package for R to compute and test hierarchical F-statistics. Mol. Ecol. Notes 5: 184–186.
- 1979. The spandrels of San Marco and the Panglossian paradigm: a critique of the adaptationist programme. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. Series B Biol. Sci. 205: 581–598. &
- 2010. MCMC methods for multi-response generalised linear mixed models: the MCMCglmm r package. J. Stat. Softw. 33: 1–22.
- 1982. Polymorphism for plate morphs in Gasterosteus aculeatus on the east coast of Canada and an hypothesis for their global distribution. Can. J. Zool. 60: 1032–1042. &
- 2011. Genetic divergence in morphology-performance mapping between Misty Lake and inlet stickleback. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 23–35. , , , &
- 1947. Experimental studies on adaptive evolution in Gasterosteus aculeatus L. Evolution 1: 89–102.
- 2012. Parallel and nonparallel aspects of ecological, phenotypic, and genetic divergence across replicate population pairs of lake and stream stickleback. Evolution 66: 402–418. , , &
- 2008. Allometric change accompanies opercular shape evolution in Alaskan threespine sticklebacks. Behaviour 145: 669–691. , , , &
- 2007. Sexual dimorphism in the external morphology of the threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus). Copeia 2007(2): 336–349. , &
- 1996. Lateral plate polymorphism in marine and estuarine populations of the threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) along the coast of Norway. Copeia 1996(4): 832–838.
- 2003. Quantitative genetics of geometric shape: heritability and the pitfalls of the univariate approach. Evolution 57: 191–195.
- 2010. Evolution and development of shape: integrating quantitative approaches. Nat. Rev. Genet. 11: 623–635.
- 2001. Quantitative genetics of geometric shape in the mouse mandible. Evolution 55: 2342–2352. &
- 2001. Genetic architecture of mandible shape in mice: effects of quantitative trait loci analyzed by geometric morphometrics. Genetics 157: 785–802. , , &
- 2005. Rapid morphological changes in threespine stickleback, Gasterosteus aculeatus, in freshwater. Environ. Biol. Fishes 74: 357–363.
- 2004. Estimating genetic parameters in natural populations using the ‘animal model’. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. Series B Biol. Sci. 359: 873–890.
- 2006. Contrasting patterns of body shape and neutral genetic divergence in marine and lake populations of threespine sticklebacks. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 1803–1812. , , &
- 2011a. Genetic basis of sexual dimorphism in the threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus. Heredity 106: 218–227. , &
- 2011b. Genetics of body shape and armour variation in threespine sticklebacks. J. Evol. Biol. 24: 206–218. , &
- 2007. Parallel evolution by correlated response: lateral plate reduction in threespine stickleback. Evolution 61: 1084–1090. &
- 2006. Genetic and environmental components of phenotypic variation in body shape among populations of Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua L.). Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 88: 351–365. , &
- 2008. Landscape genetic analyses reveal cryptic population structure and putative selection gradients in a large-scale estuarine environment. Mol. Ecol. 17: 3901–3916. &
- 2010. Adaptive divergence between freshwater and marine sticklebacks: insights into the role of phenotypic plasticity from an integrated analysis of candidate gene expression. Evolution 64: 1029–1047. &
- 2007. The phenotypic and genetic covariance structure of drosphilid wings. Evolution 61: 902–911. &
- 2010. Quantitative genetic variation in static allometry in the threespine stickleback. Integr. Comp. Biol. 50: 1067–1080. , , , &
- 2011. Cryptic genetic variation and body size evolution in threespine stickleback. Evolution 65: 1203–1211. , , , &
- 2002. Speciation in nature: the threespine stickleback model systems. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 480–488. &
- 2011. The role of developmental plasticity in evolutionary innovation. Proc. R. Soc. B Biol. Sci. 278: 2705–2713. , , , , , et al.
- 2002. Geometric estimates of heritability in biological shape. Evolution 56: 563–572. , , &
- 2003. Shape distances in general linear models: are they really at odds with the goals of morphometrics? A reply to Klingenberg. Evolution 57: 196–199. , , &
- 2007. Foraging performance of diet-induced morphotypes in pumpkinseed sunfish (Lepomis gibbosus) favours resource polymorphism. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 673–684. &
- 2003. Getting into shape: an empirical comparison of traditional truss-based morphometric methods with a newer geometric method applied to New World cichlids. Environ. Biol. Fishes 67: 417–431. , &
- 2006. Extinction of a weakly armoured threespine stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) population in Prator Lake, Alaska. Ecol. Freshw. Fish 15: 482–487. , &
- 2000. Mixed-Effects Models in S and S-Plus. Springer, New York, NY, USA. &
- 1984. Clearing and staining techniques. In: Ontogeny and Sytematics of Fishes (H.G. Moser, W.J. Richards, D.M. Cohen, M.P. Fahay, A.W. Kendall Jr & S.L. Richardson, eds), pp. 35–37. American Society of Ichthyologists and Herpetologists, Lawrence, KS.
- R Development Core Team 2007. R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2005. Detecting Holocene divergence in the anadromous-freshwater three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) system. Mol. Ecol. 14: 1001–1014. , , &
- 2007. Divergent selection as revealed by Pst and QTL-based Fst in three-spined stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus) populations along a coastal-inland gradient. Mol. Ecol. 16: 891–905. , , , &
- 2010. Perspectives on the genetic architecture of divergence in body shape in sticklebacks. Integr. Comp. Biol. 50: 1057–1066. &
- 1994. Predators and morphological evolution in threespine stickleback. In: The Evolutionary Biology of the Threespine Stickleback (M.A. Bell & S.A. Foster, eds), pp. 240–276. Oxford University Press, Oxford, UK.
- 2000. Predator handling failures of lateral plate morphs in Gasterosteus aculeatus: functional implications for the ancestral plate condition. Behaviour 137: 1081–1096.
- 2006. Replicated ecological landscapes and the evolution of morphological diversity among Gasterosteus populations from an archipelago on the west coast of Canada. Can. J. Zool. 84: 643–654. &
- 2009. Does geometric morphometrics serve the needs of plasticity research? J. Biosci. 34: 589–599. &
- 1996. Ecological speciation in postglacial fishes. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. Series B Biol. Sci. 351: 807–814.
- 2004. Parallel evolution and inheritance of quantitative traits. Am. Nat. 163: 809–822. , , &
- 2008. Genetic and environmental contributions to the morphology of lake and stream stickleback: implications for gene flow and reproductive isolation. Evol. Ecol. Res. 10: 849–866. , , &
- 1993. Population-structure in Daphnia obtusa: quantitative genetic and allozymic variation. Genetics 135: 367–374.
- 2007. 10 000 years later: evolution of body shape in Haida Gwaii three-spined stickleback. J. Fish Biol. 70: 1484–1503. &
- 2008. Habitat-dependent reduction of sexual dimorphism in geometric body shape of Haida Gwaii threespine stickleback. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 95: 505–516. &
- 2011. Habitat-specific trends in ontogeny of body shape in stickleback from coastal archipelago: potential for rapid shifts in colonizing populations. J. Morphol. 272: 590–597. &
- 1998. A new look at relationships between size at maturity and asymptotic size. Am. Nat. 152: 470–479. , &
- University of Oregon Stickleback Research Site 2008. Crossing and rearing protocols.
- 1999. The St. Lawrence River, Canada-USA: the need for an ecosystem-level understanding of large rivers. Jpn J. Limnol. 60: 29–50. &
- 1997. Ecological morphology of lacustrine threespine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus L (Gasterosteidae) body shape. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 61: 3–50.
- 2000. Net evolutionary trajectories of body shape evolution within a microgeographic radiation of threespine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus). J. Zool. 252: 293–302. &
- 2005. Developmental plasticity and the origin of species differences. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 102: 6543–6549.
- 2007. Habitat-dependent geographical variation in ontogenetic allometry of the shiner perch Cymatogaster aggregata Gibbons (Teleostei : Embiotocidae). J. Evol. Biol. 20: 1783–1798.
- 2002. Analysis of quantitative trait locus effects on the size and shape of mandibular molars in mice. Genetics 160: 1573–1586. , , &
- 2008. A test of the “Flexible stem” model of evolution: ancestral plasticity, genetic accommodation, and morphological divergence in the threespine stickleback radiation. Am. Nat. 172: 449–462. , , , &
- 2012. Ancestral plasticity and allometry in threespine stickleback reveal phenotypes associated with derived, freshwater ecotypes. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 105: 573–583. , , &
- 1998. Estimating hierarchical F-statistics. Evolution 52: 950–956.
- 2004. Geometric Morphometrics for Biologists: A Primer. Elsevier Academic Press, London, UK. , , &
- 2000. Quantitative trait loci affecting components of wing shape in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics 155: 671–683. , &