Both authors contributed equally to this work.
The effects of migration and drift on local adaptation to a heterogeneous environment
Version of Record online: 8 MAY 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 7, pages 1351–1363, July 2012
How to Cite
BLANQUART, F., GANDON, S. and NUISMER, S. L. (2012), The effects of migration and drift on local adaptation to a heterogeneous environment. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 1351–1363. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2012.02524.x
- Issue online: 12 JUN 2012
- Version of Record online: 8 MAY 2012
- Received 9 March 2012; accepted 24 March 2012
- 2006. Geographical patterns of adaptation within a species’ range: interactions between drift and gene flow. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 203–215. , &
- 2008. Understanding the evolution and stability of the G-matrix. Evolution 62: 2451–2461. , , , &
- 1973. Selection for migration modification. Genetics 74: 171. &
- 1999. Clines in polygenic traits. Genet. Res. 74: 223–236.
- 2000. Inbreeding depression due to mildly deleterious mutations in finite populations: size does matter. Genet. Res. 75: 75–81. &
- 2011. Evolution of migration in a periodically changing environment. Am. Nat. 177: 188–201. &
- 1994. On the distribution of the mean and variance of a quantitative trait under mutation-selection-drift balance. Genetics 138: 901. &
- 1970. An Introduction to Population Genetics Theory. Burgess Publishing Company, Minneapolis, MN. &
- 2011. A map of local adaptation in Arabidopsis thaliana. Science 334: 86–89. , , , , &
- 2011. Signatures of environmental genetic adaptation pinpoint pathogens as the main selective pressure through human evolution. PLoS Genet. 7: e1002355. , , , , &
- 2002. Local adaptation and the geometry of host-parasite coevolution. Ecol. Lett. 5: 246–256.
- 2009. Interactions between genetic drift, gene flow, and selection mosaics drive parasite local adaptation. Am. Nat. 173: 212–224. &
- 1996. Local adaptation and gene-for-gene coevolution in a metapopulation model. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 263: 1003–1009. , , , &
- 2003. Perspective: models of speciation: what have we learned in 40 years? Evolution 57: 2197–2215.
- 2002. Fixation probabilities in a spatially heterogeneous environment. Popul. Ecol. 44: 51–58. &
- 2003. Patterns of inbreeding depression and architecture of the load in subdivided populations. Genetics 165: 2193. , &
- 1999. The effects of density dependence and immigration on local adaptation and niche evolution in a black-hole sink environment. Theor. Popul. Biol. 55: 283–296. , &
- 2007. A synthesis of experimental work on parasite local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 10: 418–434. &
- 2011. Adaptation to climate across the Arabidopsis thaliana genome. Science 334: 83–86. , , , , , et al.
- 2011. Eco-evolutionary metapopulation dynamics and the spatial scale of adaptation. Am. Nat. 177: 29–43. , &
- 2001. Population mixing and the adaptive divergence of quantitative traits in discrete populations: a theoretical framework for empirical tests. Evolution 55: 459–466. , &
- 2009. A quantitative survey of local adaptation and fitness trade-offs. Am. Nat. 173: 579–588.
- 2008. Limits to local adaptation in six populations of the annual plant Diodia teres. New Phytol. 178: 888–896. &
- 2008. A meta-analysis of factors affecting local adaptation between interacting species. Am. Nat. 171: 275–290. &
- 1997. How does immigration influence local adaptation? A reexamination of a familiar paradigm. Am. Nat. 149: 563–572. &
- 2000. Adaptation to marginal habitats: contrasting influence of the dispersal rate on the fate of alleles with small and large effects. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 267: 1315.
- 2008. Adaptation to marginal habitats. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 39: 321–342.
- 2004. Conceptual issues in local adaptation. Ecol. Lett. 7: 1225–1241. &
- 1976. Natural selection and random genetic drift in phenotypic evolution. Evolution 30: 314–334.
- 1992. Neutral theory of quantitative genetic variance in an island model with local extinction and colonization. Evolution 46: 381–389.
- 2008. A meta-analysis of local adaptation in plants. PLoS ONE 3: 4010. &
- 2002. Gene flow and the limits to natural selection. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 183–189.
- 2008. Migration load in plants: role of pollen and seed dispersal in heterogeneous landscapes. J. Evol. Biol. 21: 294–309. , , , &
- 2008. Multivariate QST–FST comparisons: a neutrality test for the evolution of the g matrix in structured populations. Genetics 180: 2135–2149. , &
- 2002. Adaptive population divergence: markers, QTL and traits. Trends Ecol. Evol. 17: 285–291. &
- 1999. Effect of population patchiness and migration rates on the adaptation and divergence of vesicular stomatitis virus quasispecies populations. J. Gen. Virol. 80: 2051. , &
- 2005. The effect of migration on local adaptation in a coevolving host-parasite system. Nature 437: 253–256. , &
- 1980. The strong-migration limit in geographically structured populations. J. Math. Biol. 9: 101–114.
- 2008. The dynamics of migration–selection models. Tutorials in Mathematical Biosciences IV, pp. 119–172. Springer, Berlin. &
- 2008. Moving beyond common-garden and transplant designs: insight into the causes of local adaptation in species interactions. Am. Nat. 171: 658–668. &
- 2010. When is correlation coevolution? Am. Nat. 175: 525–537. , &
- 2004. Evolutionary Theory: Mathematical and Conceptual Foundations. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, MA.
- 1960. A theory of limits in artificial selection. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 153: 234–249.
- 2001. When sources become sinks: migrational meltdown in heterogeneous habitats. Evolution 55: 1520–1531. &
- 2005. The application of statistical physics to evolutionary biology. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 102: 9541. &
- 1999. Adaptive coloration and gene flow as a constraint to local adaptation in the streamside salamander, Ambystoma barbouri. Evolution 53: 889–898. , , &
- 1998. A meta-analysis of adaptive deme formation in phytophagous insect populations. Am. Nat. 152: 595–604. &
- 2008. Diversity and productivity peak at intermediate dispersal rate in evolving metacommunities. Nature 452: 210–214. , , , , &
- 2005. Probability of fixation in a heterogeneous environment. Genetics 171: 1407. &
- 2009. Testing for spatially divergent selection: comparing QST to FST. Genetics 183: 1055. &
- 2007. Genetic isolation of fragmented populations is exacerbated by drift and selection. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 534–542. , , &
- 1942. Statistical genetics and evolution. Bull. Am. Math. Soc. 48: 223–246.
- 2009. Predicting Adaptation Under Migration Load: the Role of Genetic Skew. Evolution 63: 2926–2938. &
- 2011. Establishment and maintenance of adaptive genetic divergence under migration, selection, and drift. Evolution 65: 2123–2129. &