The role of gene flow asymmetry along an environmental gradient in constraining local adaptation and range expansion
Article first published online: 13 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 8, pages 1676–1685, August 2012
How to Cite
FEDORKA, K. M., WINTERHALTER, W. E., SHAW, K. L., BROGAN, W. R. and MOUSSEAU, T. A. (2012), The role of gene flow asymmetry along an environmental gradient in constraining local adaptation and range expansion. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 1676–1685. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2012.02552.x
- Issue published online: 16 JUL 2012
- Article first published online: 13 JUN 2012
- Received 18 January 2012; revised 23 April 2012; accepted 3 May 2012
- 2006. Geographical patterns of adaptation within a species’ range: interactions between drift and gene flow. J. Evol. Biol. 19: 203–215. , &
- 1976. Modified sine wave method for calculating degree days. Environ. Entomol. 5: 388–396.
- 1993. Bet hedging and the diapause strategies of the cricket Allonemobius fasciatus. Ecology 74: 1129–1135. &
- 2009. Testing limits to adaptation along altitudinal gradients in rainforest Drosophila. Proc. R. Soc. B-Biol. Sci. 276: 1507–1515. , &
- 2001. Spatio-temporal dynamics of the Allonemobius fasciatus-A. socius mosaic hybrid zone: a 14-year perspective. Mol. Ecol. 10: 627–638. , &
- 2000. Interspecific competition, environmental gradients, gene flow, and the coevolution of species’ borders. Am. Nat. 155: 583–605. &
- 2005. The community context of species’ borders: ecological and evolutionary perspectives. Oikos 108: 28–46. , , &
- 2002. AFLPOP: a computer program for simulated and real population allocation, based on AFLP data. Mol. Ecol. Notes 2: 380–383. &
- 2008. Genetic variation across species’ geographical ranges: the central-marginal hypothesis and beyond. Mol. Ecol. 17: 1170–1188. , &
- 1993. An Introduction to the Bootstrap. Chapman & Hall/CRC, New York. &
- 2008. The relation of density regulation to habitat specialization, evolution of a species’ range, and the dynamics of biological invasions. Am. Nat. 172: 233–247. , &
- 2007. Species’ borders and dispersal barriers. Am. Nat. 170: 297–304. &
- 2000. Predictive habitat distribution models in ecology. Ecol. Model. 135: 147–186. &
- 1956. The relation between density regulation and natural selection. Proc. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 145: 306–308.
- 1988. A Primer of Population Genetics. Sinauer Associates, Massachusetts.
- 1992. Analysis of adaptation in heterogeneous landscapes – Implications for the evolution of fundamental niches. Evol. Ecol. 6: 433–447. &
- 2005. Species’ borders: a unifying theme in ecology. Oikos 108: 3–6. &
- 1983. Electrophoretic Survey of Eastern North American Allonemobius (Orthoptera Gryllidae) - Evolutionary Relationships and the Discovery of 3 New Species. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 76: 1014–1021.
- 1986. Review of the Allonemobius fasciatus (Orthoptera, Gryllidae) complex with the description of 2 new species separated by electrophoresis, songs, and morphometrics. Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 79: 472–481. &
- 1991. Topographic diversity, zone width, and the strength of reproductive isolation in a zone of overlap and hybridization. Evolution 45: 1120–1135. &
- 1998. Conspecific sperm precedence is an effective barrier to hybridization between closely related species. Evolution 52: 511–516. , , &
- 2006. Interaction between maternal effects and temperature affects diapause occurrence in the cricket Allonemobius socius. Oecologia 146: 513–520. &
- 2002. Phylogeographic breaks without geographic barriers to gene flow. Evolution 56: 2383–2394.
- 2003. Testing for asymmetrical gene flow in a Drosophila melanogaster body-size cline. Genetics 165: 667–673. , &
- 1997. Evolution of a species’ range. Am. Nat. 150: 1–23. &
- 2004. Testing geographical pathways of speciation in a recent island radiation. Mol. Ecol. 13: 3787–3796. , &
- 1988. Life History Evolution in a Seasonal Environment: A Case Study. McGill University, Montreal.
- 1998. Maternal Effects as Adaptation. Oxford University Press, Oxford. &
- 1989a. Adaptation to seasonality in a cricket - Patterns of phenotypic and genotypic variation in body size and diapause expression along a aline in season length. Evolution 43: 1483–1496. &
- 1989b. Geographic variability in the incidence and heritability of wing dimorphism in the striped ground cricket, Allonemobius fasciatus. Heredity 62: 315–318. &
- 1979. Mathematical Model for Studying Genetic Variation in Terms of Restriction Endonucleases. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 76: 5269–5273. &
- 2006. GENALEX 6: genetic analysis in Excel. Population genetic software for teaching and research. Mol. Ecol. Notes 6: 288–295. &
- 2000. Inference of population structure using multilocus genotype data. Genetics 155: 945–959. , &
- 2000. On the relationship between niche and distribution. Ecol. Lett. 3: 349–361.
- 1996. The evolution of threshold traits in animals. Q. Rev. Biol. 71: 3–35.
- 2001. Empirical evaluation of genetic clustering methods using multilocus genotypes from 20 chicken breeds. Genetics 159: 699–713. , , , , , et al.
- 2009. Evolution and Ecology of Species Range Limits. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 40: 415–436. , , &
- 1981. Ecology and evolution of physiological time in insects. Am. Nat. 117: 1–23.
- 1994. TREECON for Windows - A software package for the construction and drawing of evolutionary trees for the Microsoft Windows environment. Comput. Appl. Biosci. 10: 569–570. &
- 1995. AFLP - A new technique for DNA fingerprinting. Nucleic Acids Res. 23: 4407–4414. , , , , , et al.
- 2007. Patterns of phenotypic and genetic variation for the plasticity of diapause incidence. Evolution 61: 1520–1531. &