Oxidative phosphorylation gene transcription in whitefish species pairs reveals patterns of parallel and nonparallel physiological divergence
Article first published online: 25 JUL 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 9, pages 1823–1834, September 2012
How to Cite
Evans, M. L. and Bernatchez, L. (2012), Oxidative phosphorylation gene transcription in whitefish species pairs reveals patterns of parallel and nonparallel physiological divergence. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 1823–1834. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2012.02570.x
- Issue published online: 14 AUG 2012
- Article first published online: 25 JUL 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 31 MAY 2012
- Manuscript Received: 6 MAR 2012
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) Discovery Grant
- Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC)
- Canada Research Chair Grant
- 1997. Universal and rapid salt-extraction of high quality genomic DNA for PCR-based techniques. Nucleic Acids Res. 25: 4692–4693. &
- 2010. Linking the mitochondrial genotype to the organismal phenotype. Mol. Ecol. 19: 1523–1539. &
- 2005. Fast adaptive coevolution of nuclear and mitochondrial subunits of ATP synthetase in orangutan. Mol. Biol. Evol. 22: 716–724. , &
- 1990. Allopatric origin of sympatric populations of lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis) as revealed by mitochondrial-DNA restriction analysis. Evolution 44: 1263–1271. &
- 1993. Congruence in control-region sequence and restriction-site variation in mitochondrial-DNA of brook charr (Salvelinus fontinalis Mitchill). Mol. Biol. Evol. 10: 1002–1014. &
- 1994. Phylogenetic relationships among palearctic and nearctic whitefish (Coregonus sp.) populations as revealed by mitochondrial DNA variation. Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 51: 240–251. &
- 2010. On the origin of species: insights from the ecological genomics of lake whitefish. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 365: 1783–1800. , , , , , et al.
- 2001. Natural selection and the evolution of mtDNA encoded peptides: evidence for intergenomic co-adaptation. Trends Genet. 17: 400–406. , &
- 2009. The MIQE guidelines: minimum information for publication of quantitative real-time PCR experiments. Clin. Chem. 55: 611–622. , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Generic scan using AFLP markers as a means to assess the role of directional selection in the divergence of sympatric whitefish ecotypes. Mol. Biol. Evol. 21: 945–956. &
- 2008. Transcriptomic variation and plasticity in rufous-collared sparrows (Zonotrichia capensis) along an altitudinal gradient. Mol. Ecol. 17: 4556–4569. , &
- 2005. Mitochondrial enzyme content in the muscles of high-performance fish: evolution and variation among fiber types. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 288: R163–R172. , &
- 2006. Molecular evolution of cytochrome c oxidase in high-performance fish (Teleostei: Scombroidei). J. Mol. Evol. 62: 319–331. , , &
- 2006. Parallelism in gene transcription among sympatric lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis Mitchill) ecotypes. Mol. Ecol. 15: 1239–1249. , &
- 2008. Interpopulation hybrid breakdown maps to the mitochondrial genome. Evolution 62: 631–638. &
- 2010. Cytonuclear conflict in interpopulation hybrids: the role of RNA polymerase in mtDNA transcription and replication. J. Evol. Biol. 23: 528–538. &
- 2012. Parallelism in the oxygen transport system of the lake whitefish: the role of physiological divergence in ecological speciation. Mol. Ecol. (in press), doi:10.1111/j.1365-294X.2012.05682.x. , , &
- 2012. Genomics of adaptation and speciation in cichlid fishes: recent advances and analyses in African and Neotropical lineages. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 367: 385–394. , &
- 2007. G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences. Behav. Res. Methods 39: 175–191. , , &
- 2012. Comparative genomics reveals adaptive protein evolution and a possible cytonuclear incompatibility between European and American eels. Mol. Biol. Evol. (in press), doi:10.1093/molbev/mss076. , &
- 2010. Gene expression patterns of oxidative phosphorylation complex I subunits are organized in clusters. PLoS ONE 5: e9985. , , &
- 2011. Positive Darwinian selection in the piston that powers proton pumps in complex I of the mitochondria of Pacific salmon. PLoS ONE 6: e24127. , &
- 2009. Mitochondrial bioenergetics as a major motive force of speciation. Bioessays 31: 642–650. , &
- 1988. Sequence of transfer Rna-thr and transfer Rna-pro from white sturgeon (Acipenser transmontanus) mitochondria. Nucleic Acids Res. 16: 11825. , , , , &
- 2000. Permutation Tests: A Practical Guide to Resampling Methods for Testing Hypotheses. Springer, New York.
- 2001. Hypoxia-induced gene expression profiling in the euryoxic fish Gillichthys mirabilis . Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 98: 1993–1998. , &
- 2004. Coping with cold: an integrative, multitissue analysis of the transcriptome of a poikilothermic vertebrate. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101: 16970–16975. , , , , , et al.
- 2004. Accelerated evolution of the electron transport chain in anthropoid primates. Trends Genet. 20: 578–585. , , &
- 2004. Locomotor performance and muscle metabolic capacities: impact of temperature and energetic status. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B, Biochem. Mol. Biol. 139: 371–382.
- 1999. Temperature-dependent expression of cytochrome-c oxidase in Antarctic and temperate fish. Am. J. Physiol. 277: R508–R516. , , &
- 2009. Candidate genes and adaptive radiation: insights from transcriptional adaptation to the limnetic niche among Coregonine fishes (Coregonus spp., Salmonidae). Mol. Biol. Evol. 26: 155–166. , , &
- 2006. Validation of reference genes for real-time polymerase chain reaction studies in Atlantic salmon. Mar. Biotechnol. 8: 398–408. , , &
- 2003. Intrinsic and extrinsic uncoupling of oxidative phosphorylation. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1604: 77–94.
- 2012. Parallel and nonparallel aspects of ecological, phenotypic, and genetic divergence across replicate population pairs of lake and stream stickleback. Evolution 66: 402–418. , , &
- 2003. Piscivory and prey selection of four predator species in a whitefish dominated subarctic lake. J. Fish Biol. 63: 659–672. &
- 2004. Diel and seasonal habitat and food segregation of three sympatric Coregonus lavaretus forms in a subarctic lake. J. Fish Biol. 64: 418–434. , , &
- 2011. mRNA expression of genes regulating oxidative phosphorylation in the muscle of beef cattle divergently ranked on residual feed intake. Physiol. Genomics 43: 12–23. , , , , &
- 2007. Parallel evolution of lake whitefish dwarf ecotypes in association with limnological features of their adaptive landscape. J. Evol. Biol. 20: 971–984. , &
- 2010. Role of epibenthic resource opportunities in the parallel evolution of lake whitefish species pairs (Coregonus sp.). J. Evol. Biol. 23: 2602–2613. &
- 2001. The mitochondrial production of reactive oxygen species: mechanisms and implications in human pathology. IUBMB Life 52: 159–164.
- 1999. Correlated trophic specialization and genetic divergence in sympatric lake whitefish ecotypes (Coregonus clupeaformis): Support for the ecological speciation hypothesis. Evolution 53: 1491–1505. &
- 2001. Contrasting patterns of mitochondrial DNA and microsatellite introgressive hybridization between lineages of lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis); relevance for speciation. Mol. Ecol. 10: 965–985. , &
- 2010. Insights into the role of differential gene expression on the ecological adaptation of the snail Littorina saxatilis . BMC Evol. Biol. 10: 356. , , &
- 2003. Natural selection shaped regional mtDNA variation in humans. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100: 171–176. , , , , , et al.
- 2003. Controlling muscle mitochondrial content. J. Exp. Biol. 206: 4385–4391.
- 2005. Evaluation of potential reference genes in real-time RT-PCR studies of Atlantic salmon. BMC Mol. Biol. 6: 21. , , , &
- 1997. Multiple modes of speciation involved in the parallel evolution of sympatric morphotypes of lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis, Salmonidae). Evolution 51: 196–205. , &
- 2010. Niche dimensions in fishes: an integrative view. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 83: 808–826. , , &
- 2002. Functional coadaptation between cytochrome c and cytochrome c oxidase within allopatric populations of a marine copepod. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 99: 12955–12958. &
- 2009. OXPHOS gene expression and control in mitochondrial disorders. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1792: 1113–1121. , &
- 2010. Mining transcriptome sequences towards identifying adaptive single nucleotide polymorphisms in lake whitefish species pairs (Coregonus spp. Salmonidae). Mol. Ecol. 19: 115–131. , &
- 2011. SNP signatures of selection on standing genetic variation and their association with adaptive phenotypes along gradients of ecological speciation in lake whitefish species pairs (Coregonus spp.). Mol. Ecol. 20: 545–559. , , , &
- 1994. Character release and displacement in fishes – a neglected literature. Am. Nat. 144: 596–627. &
- 2002. Genetically based phenotype-environment association for swimming behavior in lake whitefish ecotypes (Coregonus clupeaformis Mitchill). Evolution 56: 2322–2329. , &
- 2011. “Same same but different”: replicated ecological speciation at White Sands. Evolution 65: 946–960. &
- 2004. Effects of purifying and adaptive selection on regional variation in human mtDNA. Science 303: 223–226. , , , &
- 2011. Brain transcriptomic response of threespine sticklebacks to cues of a predator. Brain Behav. Evol. 77: 270–285. , , , &
- 1999. Oxidative phosphorylation at the fin de siecle. Science 283: 1488–1493.
- 2010. Molecular evolution of cytochrome c oxidase underlies high-altitude adaptation in the bar-headed goose. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28: 351–363. , , , , &
- 2010. Plasticity of oxidative metabolism in variable climates: molecular mechanisms. Physiol. Biochem. Zool. 83: 721–732. , , , , &
- 2008. The transcriptomics of life-history trade-offs in whitefish species pairs (Coregonus sp.). Mol. Ecol. 17: 1850–1870. , &
- 2007. Anoxia tolerance in turtles: metabolic regulation and gene expression. Comp. Biochem. Physiol., Part A Mol. Integr. Physiol. 147: 263–276.
- 2010. Phenotypic plasticity and genetic adaptation to high-altitude hypoxia in vertebrates. J. Exp. Biol. 213: 4125–4136. , &
- 2001. Why are dwarf fish so small? An energetic analysis of polymorphism in lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis). Can. J. Fish. Aquat. Sci. 58: 394–405. , , &
- 2008. Transcriptional co-expression and co-regulation of genes coding for components of the oxidative phosphorylation system. BMC Genomics 9: 18. &
- 2008. The phenomics and expression quantitative trait locus mapping of brain transcriptomics regulating adaptive divergence in lake whitefish species pairs (Coregonus sp.). Genetics 180: 147–164. , , , , , et al.
- 1999. Biostatistical Analysis. Prentice Hall, New Jersey.