The consequences of lifetime and evolutionary exposure to toxic prey: changes in avoidance behaviour through ontogeny
Article first published online: 10 AUG 2012
© 2012 The Authors. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 10, pages 1937–1946, October 2012
How to Cite
Robbins, T. R. and Langkilde, T. (2012), The consequences of lifetime and evolutionary exposure to toxic prey: changes in avoidance behaviour through ontogeny. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 1937–1946. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2012.02583.x
- Issue published online: 12 SEP 2012
- Article first published online: 10 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 28 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 21 JUN 2012
- Manuscript Received: 20 MAR 2012
- National Science Foundation. Grant Number: DEB-0949483
- 1997. Effects of red imported fire ants on recruitment of whitetailed deer fawns. J. Wildl. Manage. 61: 911–916. , &
- 2001. Effects of fire ants (Hymenoptera:Formicidae) on hatchling turtles and prevalence of fire ants on sea turtle nesting beaches in Florida. Fla. Entomol. 84: 250–253. , , &
- 2004. Red imported fire ant impacts on wildlife: a decade of research. Am. Midl. Nat. 152: 88–103. , &
- 2010. Sublethal effects of invasive fire ant venom on a native lizard. J. Exp. Zool. 313A: 17–23. &
- 2011. Ontogenetic habitat shift, population growth, and burrowing behavior of the Indo-Pacific beach star, Archaster typicus (Echinodermata; Asteroidea). Mar. Biol. 158: 639–648. , , , , &
- 1965. Predation, body size, and composition of plankton. Science 150: 28. &
- 2001. Fire ant predation of turtle nests and implications for the strategy of delayed emergence. J. Elisha Mitchell Soc. 117: 94–100. &
- 1991. The role of introduced species in shaping the distribution and abundance of island reptiles. Evol. Ecol. 5: 272–290. &
- 2012. Title 7. Part 301.81. Subpart - Imported Fire Ant. Available at: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov (accessed 15 July 2012).
- 2009. Flight initiation distance decreases during social activity in lizards (Sceloporus virgatus). Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 63: 1765–1771.
- 1992. Natural Enemies: The Population Biology of Predators, Parasites, and Diseases. Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford, MA.
- 2002. Northern bobwhite and red imported fire ant interactions in the Texas coastal plains. Southwest. Entomol. 25: 105–110. , , , &
- 1985. Maximum prey size of an insectivorous lizard, Sceloporus undulatus garmani. Copeia 1985: 1077–1080. &
- 2003. Stimulus control of predatory behavior by the Iberian wall lizard (Podarcis hispanica, Sauria, Lacertidae): effects of familiarity with prey. J. Comp. Psychol. 117: 309–316. , &
- 2011. Does rapid evolution matter? Measuring the rate of contemporary evolution and its impacts on ecological dynamics. Ecol. Lett. 14: 603–614. , &
- 2003. Nesting and hatchling ecology of gopher tortoises (Gopherus polyphemus) in southern Mississippi. J. Herpetol. 37: 315–324. &
- 2012. Evading invaders: the effectiveness of a behavioral response acquired through lifetime exposure. Behav. Ecol. 23: 259–664. , &
- 2007. Survival against the odds: ontogenetic changes in selective pressure mediate growth-mortality trade-offs in a marine fish. Proc. Royal Soc. B: Biol. Sci. 274: 1575–1582. , &
- 2004. Laboratory observations of red imported fire ant (Hymenoptera: Formicidae) predation upon eastern tent caterpillars (Lepidoptera: Lasiocampidae). J. Entomol. Sci. 39: 472–473. , , &
- 2006. Effects of an invasive anuran the cane toad (Bufo marinus) on the invertebrate fauna of a tropical Australian floodplain. Anim. Conserv. 9: 431–438. , , , &
- 2010. Adjusting to a toxic invader: native Australian frogs learn not to prey on cane toads. Behav. Ecol. 21: 966–971. , &
- 1990. Fluctuating selection and response in a population of fresh-water copepods. Evolution 44: 1796–1805. &
- 1999. Perspective: the pace of modern life: measuring rates of contemporary microevolution. Evolution 53: 1637–1653. &
- 2005. Ecological and evolutionary consequences of biological invasion and habitat fragmentation. Ecosystems 8: 657–667. , , , &
- 2008. Experimental evidence that human impacts drive fire ant invasions and ecological change. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 105: 20339–20343. &
- 1999. Least terns nesting on natural and artificial habitats in Georgia, USA. Waterbirds 22: 290–296. &
- 1980. Reproduction of gopher tortoises (Gopherus polyphemus) in southwestern Georgia. Herpetologica 36: 353–361. , &
- 2007 Evolutionary consequences of predation: avoidance, escape, reproduction, and diversification. In: Predation in Organisms: A Distinct Phenomenon (A.M.T. Elewa, ed.), pp. 177–220. Springer-Verlag, Germany.
- 2009. Invasive fire ants alter behavior and morphology of native lizards. Ecology 90: 208–217.
- 2010. Repeated exposure and handling effects on the escape response of fence lizards to encounters with invasive fire ants. Anim. Behav. 79: 291–298.
- 2010. Consequences of envenomation: red imported fire ants have delayed effects on survival but not growth of native fence lizards. Wildl. Res. 37: 566–573. &
- 2002. Molecular systematics of the Eastern Fence Lizard (Sceloporus undulatus): a comparison of parsimony, likelihood, and Bayesian approaches. Syst. Biol. 51: 44–68. &
- 1995. Effect of imported fire ant predation on a population of the least tern – an endangered species. Southwest. Entomol. 20: 517–519.
- 2004. Predator-induced behaviour shifts and natural selection in field-experimental lizard populations. Nature 432: 505–508. , &
- 1992. Diet differentiation in polymorphic arctic charr in Thingvallavatn, Iceland. J. Anim. Ecol. 61: 21–35. , , , , &
- 2010. Intraspecific, size-dependent variation in the movement behaviour of a brackish-water isopod: a resource-free laboratory experiment. Mar. Freshwat. Behav. Physiol. 43: 321–337.
- 1995. Joint bottom-up and top-down regulation of rocky intertidal algal beds in South-Africa. Trends Ecol. Evol. 10: 431–432.
- 1996) Control of interaction strength in marine benthic communities. In: Food Webs: Integration of Pattern and Dynamics, (G.A. Polis & K.O. Winemiller, eds.), pp. 258–274. Chapman and Hall, New York. , & (
- 2002. Genetic relationships among populations of Sceloporus undulatus fail to support present subspecific designations. Herpetologica 58: 277–292. , , &
- 2001. The evolutionary impact of invasive species. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. 98: 5446–5451. &
- 2004. Induced defences in an endangered amphibian in response to an introduced snake predator. Oecologia 141: 139–147. , , , &
- 2011. Foraging responses of predators to novel toxic prey: effects of predator learning and relative prey abundance. Oikos 120: 152–158. , &
- 1994. Demography of the fence lizard, Sceloporus undulatus, in northern Mississippi. Copeia 1994: 136–152.
- 1990. Invasion of polygene fire ants decimate native ants and disrupt arthropod community. Ecology 71: 2095–2106. &
- 2004. Size-dependent foraging of larval Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Can. J. Zool. 82: 1380–1389. , , &
- 1978. Histamine release by fire ant (Solenopsis) venom. Toxicon 16: 361–367. , &
- Native predator eats invasive toxic prey: evidence for increased incidence of consumption rather than aversion-learning. Biol. Inv., in press. &
- 1997. The effect of body size on prey choice by Rivulus luelingi Seegers 1984 (Aplocheiloidei: Rivulidae). Rev. Bras. Biol. 57: 551–562.
- 1992. Adaptive convergence in the lizard superspecies Sceloporus undulatus. Bull. Maryland Herpetol. Soc. 28: 123–149. , &
- 2007. Novel predator-prey interactions: is resistance futile? Evol. Ecol. Res. 9: 433–446. , , , &
- 2006. Evolutionary responses of natives to introduced species: what do introductions tell us about natural communities? Ecol. Lett. 9: 357–374. , &
- 2002. Bottom-up effects on persistence of a specialist predator: ant invasions and horned lizards. Ecol. Appl. 12: 291–298. &
- 2006. The Fire Ants. The Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, Cambridge.
- 1975. Comparative aggression in Sceloporus virgatus, S. Undulatus consobrinus, and S. U. tristichus (Sauria: Iguanidae). Anim. Behav. 23: 279–286.
- 2000. Ecological consequences of body size in neonatal and small-bodied lizards in the neotropics. Herpetol. Monogr. 14: 388–400.
- 2002. Interspecific competition in tree squirrels: do introduced grey squirrels (Sciurus carolinensis) deplete tree seeds hoarded by red squirrels (S. vulgaris)? Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 51: 360–367. , &
- 2003. Defensive strategies of Texas horned lizards (Phrynosoma cornutum) against red imported fire ants. Herpetol. Rev. 34: 327–328. &
- 1993. Prey-size selection, gape limitation and predator vulnerability in Australian blindsnakes (Typhlopidae). Anim. Behav. 45: 1117–1126. &
- 2007. Predaceous ants, beach replenishment, and nest placement by sea turtles. Environ. Entomol. 36: 1084–1091. , , , &
- 2009. Invasive fire ants depredate nest of Florida scrub-jay. Wilson J. Ornithol. 121: 846–847. &