Does competition drive character differences between species on a macroevolutionary scale?
Article first published online: 19 SEP 2012
© 2012 The Author. Journal of Evolutionary Biology © 2012 European Society For Evolutionary Biology
Journal of Evolutionary Biology
Volume 25, Issue 11, pages 2341–2347, November 2012
How to Cite
Monroe, M. J. (2012), Does competition drive character differences between species on a macroevolutionary scale?. Journal of Evolutionary Biology, 25: 2341–2347. doi: 10.1111/j.1420-9101.2012.02609.x
- Issue published online: 29 OCT 2012
- Article first published online: 19 SEP 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 7 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Revised: 3 AUG 2012
- Manuscript Received: 31 MAY 2012
- Swedish Research Council
- 1983. The theory of limiting similarity. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 14: 359–376.
- 1995. Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing. J. R. Stat. Soc. Series B. Stat. Methodol. 57: 289–300. &
- 1997. Evolution and Ecology: The Pace of Life. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2002. Cope's rule. In: Encyclopaedia of Evolution Oxford (M. Pagel, ed.), pp. 185–186. Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA.
- 2007. The delayed rise of present-day mammals. Nature 446: 507–512. , , , , , et al.
- 2008. Corrigendum: the delayed rise of present-day mammals. Nature 456: 274. , , , , , et al.
- 1986. Rates of DNA sequence evolution differ between taxanomic groups. Science 231: 1393–1398.
- 1956. Character displacement. Syst. Zool. 5: 49–64. &
- 1977. Rapid speciation and chromosomal evolution in mammals. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 74: 3942–3946. , , &
- 1984. Size, Function, and Life History. Dover Publications, Mineola, NY, USA.
- 1980. Diversity and the coevolution of competitors, or the ghost of competition past. Oikos 35: 131–138.
- 1859. On the origin of species by means of natural selection, or the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life. In: From so Simple a Beginning: The Four Great Books of Charles Darwin (E.O. Wilson, ed.), pp. 441–779. W. W.Norton & Company Inc., New York, USA.
- 2007. Species co-existence and character divergence across carnivores. Ecol. Lett. 10: 146–152. , , &
- 2005. Ecological and community-wide character displacement: the next generation. Ecol. Lett. 8: 875–894. &
- 1999. The Pattern of Evolution. W.H. Freeman and Company, New York, USA.
- 2005. The dynamics of evolutionary stasis. Paleobiology 31: 133–145. , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Evolution of character displacement in Darwin's finches. Science 313: 224–226. &
- 2009. The role of interspecific interference competition in character displacement and the evolution of competitor recognition. Biol. Rev. 84: 617–635. , , &
- 1961. The paradox of the plankton. Am. Nat. 95: 137–145.
- IUCN 2009. IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. www.iucnredlist.org. Downloaded on 07 September 2009.
- 1979. Competition between distantly related taxa in the coevolution of plants and pollinators. Integr. Comp. Biol. 19: 1115–1127. &
- 1990. A phylogenetic analysis of character displacement in Caribbean Anolis lizards. Evolution 44: 558–569.
- 1990. The rate of morphological evolution in mammals from the standpoint of the neutral expectation. Am. Nat. 136: 727–741.
- 1967. The limiting similarity, convergence, and divergence of coexisting species. Am. Nat. 101: 377–385. &
- 2004. Ecological niches as stable distributional constraints on mammal species, with implications for Pleistocene extinctions and climate change projections for biodiversity. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 13: 305–314. , &
- 2011. Evaluating the targets of selection during character displacement. Evolution 65: 2946– 2958. &
- 2008. Biodiversity inhibits species' Evolutionary responses to changing environments. Ecol. Lett. 11: 380–388. , &
- 2011. Impacts of the Cretaceous terrestrial revolution and KPg extinction on mammal diversification. Science 334: 521–524. , , , , , et al.
- 2009. The erratic mitochondrial clock: variations of mutation rate, not population size, affect mtDNA diversity across birds and mammals. BMC Evol. Biol. 9: 54. , &
- 2006. Beyond Bonferroni: less conservative analyses for conservation genetics. Conserv. Genet. 7: 783–787.
- 1989. Trophic structure of a neotropical frugivore community: is there competition between birds and bats? Oecologia 79: 403–411. , &
- 2010. Character displacement and the origins of diversity. Am. Nat. 176: S26–S44. &
- 1995. The evolution of endothermy in mammals and birds: from physiology to fossils. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 57: 69–95.
- 2000. Ecological character displacement in adaptive radiation. Am. Nat. 156: S4–S16.
- 1992. Ecological character displacement and speciation in sticklebacks. Am. Nat. 140: 85–108. &
- 1984. Scaling: Why is Animal Size So Important? Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 2003. Body mass of late Quaternary mammals. Ecology 84: 3402. , , , , , et al.
- 1992. The Evolution of Life Histories. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford.
- 1992. Global changes during the last 3 million years: climatic controls and biotic responses. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 23: 141–173. &
- 1974. The importance of gene rearrangement in evolution: evidence from studies on rates of chromosomal, protein, and anatomical evolution. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 71: 3028–3030. , &