Istituto di Chimica Biologica dell'Università Via Amendola 165a, I-70126 Bari, Italy
Mechanism of Malate Utilization in Ascaris-Muscle Mitochondria
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
European Journal of Biochemistry
Volume 12, Issue 3, pages 540–543, February 1970
How to Cite
Papa, S., Cheah, K. S., Rasmussen, H. N., Lee, I. Y. and Chance, B. (1970), Mechanism of Malate Utilization in Ascaris-Muscle Mitochondria. European Journal of Biochemistry, 12: 540–543. doi: 10.1111/j.1432-1033.1970.tb00884.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- (Received September 22/November 22, 1969)
- 1The penetration of malate into Ascaris-muscle mitochondria and its metabolic conversion have been studied.
- 2It is shown that Pi is required for the entry of malate into the mitochondria. In fact Pi activates: (1) the swelling of Ascaris-muscle mitochondria suspended in ammonium-malate; (2) the reduction by malate of mitochondrial nicotinamide nucleotides and flavoproteins; (3) the conversion of malate into other metabolites. Butylmalonate abolishes the activating effect of Pi on malate penetration into Ascaris-muscle mitochondria.
- 3The activation by Pi of nicotinamide nucleotide reduction is followed at higher Pi concentrations by inhibition. 4,5,6,7-Tetrachloro-2-trifluoromethyl-benzimidazole inhibits the malatelinked reduction of nicotinamide nucleotides and flavoproteins.
- 4Evidence is provided that in Ascaris-muscle two malate dehydrogenases are operative: the malic enzyme and the l-malate: NAD oxidoreductase.
- 3Biochemistry of Mitochondria (edited by E. C.Slater, Z.Kaniuga, and L.Woitczak), Academic Press, London 1967, p. 75., and , In
- 4Mitochondria-Structure and Function: 5th Meeting of the Federation of European Biochemical Societies, Prague 1968, Academic Press, in press., , , and , Symposium on
- 6Intracellular Respiration: Phosphorylating and non-Phosphorylating Oxidation Reactions (edited by E. C.Slater), Pergamon Press, London 1961, p. 3., and , In
- 9Abstr. Proc. Meet. Fed. Eur. Biochem. Soc., 3rd Warsaw 1966, Academic Press and P. W. N., London and Warsaw 1966, Academic., and ,
- 11Regulatory Functions of Biological Membranes (edited by J.Jarnefelt), Elsevier Publishing Company, Amsterdam 1968, p. 264., , and , In
- 14Biochemistry of Parasites, Academic Press, New York 1966, p. 115.,