Alternative air vehicles for sterile insect technique aerial release
Version of Record online: 8 JUL 2011
© 2011 Blackwell Verlag, GmbH
Journal of Applied Entomology
Special Issue: Improving Sterile Male Performance in Fruit Fly SIT Programmes
Volume 137, Issue Supplement s1, pages 126–141, June 2013
How to Cite
Tan, L. T. and Tan, K. H. (2013), Alternative air vehicles for sterile insect technique aerial release. Journal of Applied Entomology, 137: 126–141. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0418.2011.01649.x
- Issue online: 29 MAY 2013
- Version of Record online: 8 JUL 2011
- Received: October 10, 2010; accepted: May 21, 2011.
- Aircraft Specifications, 2009. http://www.planeandpilotmag.com/aircraft/specifications.html [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- AircraftGuru.com, 2009. http://www.aircraftguru.com/aircraft/aircraft-information.php?craftid=127 [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- 2007. Daily maintenance keeps UAV eyes in the sky. The Outlook, Vol. 40, Issue 26. http://www.usag.vicenza.army.mil/sites/commander/History/Jul_2007/3jul07.pdf [accessed on 1 September 2009]. ,
- Airship Management Service (AMS), 2009. http://www.airshipman.com/faq.htm [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- Barnard Microsystems Ltd, 2009. Environmental impact of UAVs. http://www.barnardmicrosystems.com/L4E_environment.htm [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- BBC News, 2005. Indian sets balloon flight record. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4467766.stm [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- Bell Helicopter, 2006. Product specifications. http://www.bellhelicopter.com/en/aircraft/commercial/pdf/L4_2006_jan_web.pdf [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- 2003. Unmanned aerial vehicles: background and issues for Congress. http://www.fas.org/irp/crs/RL31872.pdf [accessed on 1 September 2009]. , ,
- Cameron Balloons, 2009. http://www.bized.co.uk/virtual/cb/breakdown/breakdown1.htm [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- 2009. Development of radio controlled aircraft for release of sterile flies. Moscamend Brazil, Medfly Rearing Facility Juazeiro, Bahia, Brazil. , , , ,
- Cessna, 2009. http://se.cessna.com/pdf_specs/Exhibit_A_206H.pdf [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- 1998. The DTIC review. Unmanned aerial vehicles. Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC). http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA351447&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf [accessed on 1 September 2009]. , , ,
- 2000. Mediterranean fruit fly preventative release programme in southern California. In: Area-wide control of fruit flies and other insect pests. Proceedings of International Conference on Area-Wide Control of Insect Pests, and the 5th International Symposium on Fruit Flies of Economic Importance, 28 May–5 June 1998, Penang, Malaysia Ed. by Tan KH, Penerbit Universiti Sains Malaysia, Pulau Pinang, Malaysia, 369–375. , , , ,
- 2005. Sterile insect technique, principles and practice in area-wide integrated pest management. Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, 787. , , ,
- FAO/IAEA, 2007. Guidance for packing, shipping, holding and release of sterile flies in area-wide fruit fly control programmes, Joint FAO/IAEA Programme of Nuclear Techniques in Food and Agriculture, FAO Plant Production and Protection Paper 190. FAO, Rome, 134.
- FAO/IAEA, 2009. Developing a design concept for a tsetse aerial release system. Report of a Consultants Group Meeting, IAEA-314-D4-CS37643 (Limited Distribution), Vienna, Austria, 3–5 February 2009, 123.
- Federal Aircraft Regulations (FAR), 2009. Part 103. http://www.ultralighthomepage.com/FAR.part103.html [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- Fort Meade Flying Activity (FMFA), 2009. http://www.fortmeadeflyingactivity.org/docs/pa28r_checklist.pdf [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- GlobalAir.com, 2009. http://www.globalair.com/aircraft_for_sale/Twin_Piston_Aircraft/Beechcraft/Baron__G58_for_sale_50355.html [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- Hawker Beechcraft, 2009. https://www.hawkerbeechcraft.com/beechcraft/baron_g58/performance.aspx [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- 2000. Use of the sterile insect technique against key insect pests. ICG-Publishing Ltd. Sust. Dev. Int.2, 75–79. ,
- 2002. Medfly areawide Sterile Insect Technique programmes for prevention, suppression or eradication: the importance of mating behaviour studies. Fla. Entomol.85, 1–13. , , , ,
- 2005. Strategic options in using sterile insects for area-wide integrated pest management. Sterile insect technique. principles and practice in area-wide integrated pest management. Springer, Dordrecht, 563–600. , , , ,
- 2005. Human factors in the maintenance of unmanned aircraft. NASA Ames Research Center. http://hfskyway.faa.gov/HFTest/Bibliography%20of%20Publications%5CHuman%20Factor%20Maintenance%5Cmaint_UAV_NASA.pdf [accessed on 1 September 2009]. , ,
- 1999. Airship technology. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 429. , ,
- LH Aviation, 2009. http://www.lhaviation.com/en/lh10 [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- Microlight Aviation Private Ltd., 2009. Microlight FAQ. http://microlight.in/index_files/faqs.html [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- Moscamed Brasil, 2007. Relatorio Annual 2007, Moscamed Brasil. http://www.moscamed.org.br/relatorios/relatorio_anual_moscamed_2007.pdf [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- 2003. Modern airships: a possible solution for rapid force projection of army forces. Army Command and General Staff Coll., Fort Leavenworth, KS, USA. ,
- Piper Aircraft Inc., 2008. http://www.newpiper.com/aircraft/spec_sheet/Arrow.pdf [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- 2003. Release of sterile Mediterranean fruit flies, Ceratitis capitata (Diptera, Tephritidae), using an automated ground release vehicle. Biocontrol Sci. Tech.13, 111–117. , , , ,
- Start-Flying.com, 2009. Microlight FAQs. http://www.start-flying.com/new%20site/MicrolightFAQs.htm#How_much_does_a_microlight_cost [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- 2009. Regulations regarding ultralight use. http://www.ultralighthomepage.com/regulations.html [accessed on 1 September 2009]. ,
- The Packer, 2009. Program unleashes millions of sterile pests in South African citrus groves. News article 6 August 2009. The Packer/Vance Publishing Corp, Lincolnshire, IL.
- 2007. Current advances in the use of cryogenic and aerial navigation technologies for sterile insect delivery systems. In: Area-wide control of insect pests: from research to field implementation Ed. by Vreysen MJB, Robinson AS, Hendrichs J, Springer, Dordrecht, The Netherlands, pp. 449–456. , ,
- 2007. Unique problems associated with UAV employment. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IBT/is_5_63/ai_n19396165 [accessed on 1 September 2009]. ,
- Ultralight Aircraft, 2006. http://ultralight-airplanes.info/ [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- USDA APHIS, 2009. Final report: United States, Mexico and Guatemala fruit fly emergence and release facilities review. United States Department of Agriculture and Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, Riverdale, Maryland, USA.
- USDA FDACS, 2009. Report of Sarasota sterile insect release facility. United States Department of Agriculture and Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/methods/images/sirfbooklet.pdf [accessed on 1 September 2009].
- 2006. The Sterile Insect Technique as a component of sustainable area-wide integrated pest management of selected horticultural insect pests. J. Fruit Ornament. Plant Res.107, 110. , , ,