Aerial powdering of bees inside mobile cages and the extent of neonicotinoid cloud surrounding corn drillers
Article first published online: 4 APR 2012
© 2012 Blackwell Verlag, GmbH
Journal of Applied Entomology
Volume 137, Issue 1-2, pages 35–44, February 2013
How to Cite
Girolami, V., Marzaro, M., Vivan, L., Mazzon, L., Giorio, C., Marton, D. and Tapparo, A. (2013), Aerial powdering of bees inside mobile cages and the extent of neonicotinoid cloud surrounding corn drillers. Journal of Applied Entomology, 137: 35–44. doi: 10.1111/j.1439-0418.2012.01718.x
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2013
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2012
- Received: November 17, 2011; accepted: February 23, 2012.
- 2003. Poncho: a new insecticidal seed treatment for the control of major maize pests in Europe. Pflanzenschutz Nachrichten Bayer (English edition) 56, 102–110. ,
- 2003. Clothianidin seed treatment (Poncho Reg.): the new technology for control of corn rootworms and secondary pests in US-Corn production. Pflanzenschutz Nachrichten Bayer56, 147–172. , ,
- Apenet, 2009. http://www.reterurale.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/860 [accessed on November 2011].
- Apenet, 2010. http://www.reterurale.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/3280 [accessed on November 2011].
- Apenet, 2011. http://www.reterurale.it/flex/cm/pages/ServeBLOB.php/L/IT/IDPagina/6355 [accessed on November 2011].
- 2011. Sowing simulation tests of a pneumatic drill equipped with systems aimed at reducing the emission of abrasion dust from maize dressed seed. J. Environ. Sci. Health. B.46, 438–448. , , , , ,
- 2011. A meta-analysis of experiments testing the effects of neonicotinoid insecticide (imidacloprid) on honey bees. Ecotoxicology20, 149–157. ,
- 2011. Preliminary study on persistence in soil and residues in maize of imidacloprid. J. Environ. Sci. Health. B.46, 469–472. , , , , , ,
- 1990. Imidacloprid, a novel systemic nitromethylene analogue insecticide for crop protection. Brighton Crop Prot. Conf. Pests Dis.1, 21–28. , , , ,
- 2009. Colony collapse disorder: a descriptive study. PLoS ONE4, 64–81. , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2009. Bee poisoning caused by insecticidal seed treatment of maize in Germany in 2008. Julius Kühn Archiv.423, 126–131. ,
- 2009. Translocation of neonicotinoid insecticides from coated seeds to seedling guttation drops: a novel way of intoxication for bees. J. Econ. Entomol.102, 1808–1815. , , , , , , , , ,
- 2012. Fatal powdering of bees in flight with particulates of neonicotinoids seed coating and humidity implication. J. Appl. Entomol.136, 17–26. , , , , , , , ,
- 2003. Risk of environmental contamination by the active ingredient imidacloprid used for corn seed dressing. Preliminary results. Bull. Insectol.56, 69–72. , , , , ,
- 2006. Presence of the a.i. imidacloprid on vegetation near corn fields sown with Gaucho® dressed seeds. Bull. Insectol.59, 99–103. , , , , ,
- 2004. Mechanism for the differential toxicity of neonicotinoid insecticides in the honey bee, Apis mellifera. Crop Prot.23, 371–378. , , , ,
- 2012. Multiple routes of pesticide exposure for honey bees living near agricultural fields. PLoS ONE7, e29268. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0029268. [accessed on 19 March 2012]. , , , , ,
- 2010. Varroa mites and honey bee health: can Varroa explain part of the colony losses?Apidologie41, 353–363. , , ,
- 2001. Chemistry and biology of thiamethoxam: a second generation neonicotinoid. Pest Manag. Sci.57, 906–913. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2011. Lethal aerial powdering of honey bees with neonicotinoids from fragments of maize seed coat. Bull. Insectol.64, 118–125. , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2010. Expert explanations of honeybee losses in areas of extensive agriculture in France: Gaucho® compared with other supposed causal factors. Environ. Res. Lett.5, 014006. http://dx.doi.org/10.1088/1748-9326/5/1/014006 . , ,
- 2010. Honey bee colony losses. J. Apic. Res.49, 1–6. , ,
- 2009. An effective risk management approach to prevent bee damage due to the emission of abraded seed treatment particles during sowing of seeds treated with bee toxic insecticides. Julius Kühn Archiv.423, 132–148. , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2009. Bee poisoning incidents in Germany in spring 2008 caused by abrasion of active substance from treated seeds during sowing of maize. Julius Kühn Archiv.423, 118–126. , , , ,
- 2001. Flight trajectories of foraging insects observations using harmonic radar. In: Insect movement: mechanisms and consequences. Ed. by Woiwod IP, Reynolds DR, Thomas CD. CAB International, Wallingford, UK, 129–157. , ,
- 2001. Evaluation of the new active thiamethoxam in the product cruiser 350 fs insecticide seed treatment. National Registration Authority for Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals, Australia. ,
- 2012. RFID Tracking of sublethal effects of two neonicotinoid insecticides on the foraging behavior of Apis mellifera. Plos ONE7 (1): e30023. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0030023 [accessed on 19th March 2012]. , , , ,
- 2003. Honey bee safety of imidacloprid corn seed treatment. Bull. Insectol.56, 73–75. , , , , ,
- Syngenta International AG, 2010. http://www.syngenta.com/global/corporate/en/grow-more-from-less/Pages/the-vitality-of-biodiversity.aspx, 21 [accessed 19 January 201].
- 2012. Assessment of the environmental exposure of honeybees to the particulate matter containing neonicotinoid insecticides coming from corn coated seeds. Environ. Sci. Technol.46, 2592–2599. , , , , , , , ,