Contribution of authors: Ross Bailie wrote this article, with successive feedback and modification done by Kayli Wayte.
Housing and health in Indigenous communities: Key issues for housing and health improvement in remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities
Version of Record online: 10 OCT 2006
Australian Journal of Rural Health
Volume 14, Issue 5, pages 178–183, October 2006
How to Cite
Bailie, R. S. and Wayte, K. J. (2006), Housing and health in Indigenous communities: Key issues for housing and health improvement in remote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities. Australian Journal of Rural Health, 14: 178–183. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1584.2006.00804.x
- Issue online: 10 OCT 2006
- Version of Record online: 10 OCT 2006
- Accepted for publication 22 May 2006.
- 2Dwelling disparities: how poor housing leads to poor health. Environmental Health Perspectives 2005; 113: A311–A317..
- 3Foreword. In: ReadP, ed. Settlement: A History of Australian Indigenous Housing. Canberra: Aboriginal Studies Press, 2000; v–vi..
- 4Why Warriors Lie Down and Die. Darwin: Aboriginal Resource and Development Services, 2000..
- 5More than bricks and mortar: the implications of housing assistance reform for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Shelter – NHA 1996; 12: 7–14..
- 6Aboriginal housing a forlorn future. Shelter – NHA 1977; 4: 3–6..
- 7Marra Worra Worra Aboriginal Corporation. A Regional Approach to Delivery of Housing and Essential Services to Aboriginal Communities in the Kimberley: Submission to the Government of Western Australia, the Commonwealth Government, and ATSIC Concerning Policies and Practices, and ‘Regional Service Agreements’ as a Pilot Project in the Kimberley. Fitzroy Crossing: Marra Worra Worra Aboriginal Corporation, 1995.
- 8Nganampa Health Council, South Australian Health Commission, Aboriginal Health Organisation of SA. Report of Uwankara Palyanyku Kanyintjaku: An Environmental and Public Health Review within the Anangu Pitjantjatjara Lands. Adelaide: Nganampa Health Council, 1987.
- 9Housing for Health: Towards a Healthy Living Environment for Aboriginal Australia. Newport Beach: Healthabitat, 1993., , .
- 10Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody. Canberra: AGPS, 1991..
- 11National Aboriginal Health Strategy Working Party. A National Aboriginal Health Strategy. Canberra: Australian Government Printing Service, 1989.
- 12The housing needs of Indigenous Australians 1991. Canberra: Centre for Aboriginal Economic Policy Research, ANU, 1994..
- 13Menzies School of Health Research. Environmental Health Handbook: A Practice Manual for Remote Communities. Darwin: Menzies School of Health Research, 2000.
- 14Australian Bureau of Statistics, Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. The Health and Welfare of Australia’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples. 4704.0. Canberra: Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2005.
- 16Results of contact tracing following transmission of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in an urban itinerant Aboriginal population in Australia. The Northern Territory Disease Control Bulletin 2005; 12: 16–22., , .
- 17Do Housing Conditions Impact on Health Inequalities between Australia’s Rich and Poor. Canberra: AHURI, 2001..
- 18Department of Family and Community Services. National Indigenous Housing Guide. 2nd edn. Canberra: Department of Family and Community Services, 2003.
- 20EHP, UNICEF/WES, USAID, World Bank/WSP, WSSCC. The Hygiene Improvement Framework: A Comprehensive Approach for Preventing Childhood Diarrhea. Washington, DC: US Agency for International Development, 2004.
- 22Australian Bureau of Statistics. Housing and Infrastructure in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities: Australia 2001. 4710.0 edn. Canberra: Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2002.
- 23Housing Assistance and Non-Shelter Outcomes. Sydney: AHURI, 2005., .
- 24Categories of Indigenous ‘Homeless’ People and Good Practice Responses to Their Needs. Melbourne: Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute, 2003., , , .
- 25Keys Young. Homelessness in the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Context and its Possible Implications for the Supported Accommodation Assistance Program. Canberra: Department of Family and Community Services, 1998.
- 26Australian Census Analytic Program Counting the Homeless. Canberra: Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2003., .
- 27Office of Indigenous Policy Coordination. New Arrangements in Indigenous Affairs. Canberra: Office of Indigenous Policy Coordination, 2004.
- 28HMAC Standing Committee on Indigenous Housing. Building a Better Future: Indigenous Housing to 2010. Sydney: NSW Aboriginal Housing Office for HMAC, 2001.
- 29Australian Bureau of Statistics. Housing and Infrastructure in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities: Australia 1999. McLennanW, ed. 4710.0 edn. Canberra: Australian Bureau of Statistics, 2000.
- 30Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. National Reporting Framework For Indigenous Housing. Canberra: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health and Welfare Unit, 2004.
- 31Housing for health and fixing houses for better health. Environmental Health 2002; 2: 34..
- 32Commonwealth SaTHMWGoIH. National Framework for the Design, Construction and Maintenance of Indigenous Housing. Canberra: Commonwealth Department of Family and Community Services, 1999.
- 33Indigenous Housing Authority of the Northern Territory. Minimum Standards for Housing Management. Darwin: Indigenous Housing Authority of the Northern Territory, 1998.
- 34enHealth Council. National review of indigenous environmental health workers. Discussion Paper. Canberra: Department of Health and Ageing, 2004.
- 35Exploring Indigenous Home Management Programs in the Northern Territory. Darwin: Cooperative Research Centre for Aboriginal and Tropical Health, 2001., .
- 37Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute. AHURI Research Agenda 2004. Melbourne: AHURI, 2003.