Retrospective analysis of factors that affect driving assessment outcomes after stroke
Article first published online: 26 MAR 2012
© 2012 The Authors Australian Occupational Therapy Journal © 2012 Occupational Therapy Australia
Australian Occupational Therapy Journal
Volume 59, Issue 2, pages 121–130, April 2012
How to Cite
Chua, M., McCluskey, A. and Smead, J. M. (2012), Retrospective analysis of factors that affect driving assessment outcomes after stroke. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 59: 121–130. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1630.2012.01005.x
- Issue published online: 26 MAR 2012
- Article first published online: 26 MAR 2012
- Manuscript Accepted: 18 JAN 2012
- University of Sydney
- Royal Rehabilitation Centre Sydney
- National Stroke Foundation
- 2005). The validity of a road test after stroke. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 86 (3), 421–426. , , , , & (
- 2006). Prediction of driving after stroke: A prospective study. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair, 20 (3), 417–423. , , , & (
- 2007). Driving assessment and rehabilitation after stroke. Medical Journal of Australia, 187 (10), 599. , & (
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2004). Heart, stroke and vascular diseases – Australian facts 2004. Canberra: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare.
- Austroads (2003). Assessing fitness to drive: Medical standards for licensing and clinical management guidelines. Sydney: Austroads.
- 2011). Screening for fitness to drive after stroke: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Neurology, 76 (8), 747–756. , , , , & (
- Driver Rehabilitation and Fleet Safety Service (2001). Occupational therapy driver assessment and training course. Lidcombe, New South Wales: School of Occupation and Leisure Sciences, Faculty of Health Sciences, The University of Sydney.
- 1997). Driving after stroke: Driving exposure, advice and evaluations. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 78 (12), 1338–1345. , & (
- 2001). Time use and importance of instrumental activities of daily living. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 48 (3), 118–131. & (
- 2010). Establishing criterion validity of the Useful Field of View Assessment and Stroke Drivers’ Screening Assessment: Comparison to the result of on-road assessment. The American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 64 (1), 114–122. & (
- 2008). Validation of the Visual Recognition Slide Test with stroke: A component of the New South Wales occupational therapy off-road driver rehabilitation program. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 55 (3), 172–179. , & (
- 1993). Performance profiles of the Functional Independence Measure. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 72 (2), 84–89. , , , & (
- 2000). Five-year survival after first-ever stroke and related prognostic factors in the Perth community stroke study. Stroke, 31 (9), 2080–2086. , , , , , et al. (
- 2008). Predicting fitness to drive using the Visual Recognition Slide Test (USyd). The American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 62 (2), 187–197. , & (
- 2009). Predicting fitness to drive in people with cognitive impairments by using DriveSafe and DriveAware. Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 90 (9), 1514–1522. , & (
- 1986). Driving after stroke. Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine, 79 (4), 200–203. , & (
- 2009). The experiences and needs of people who cease driving after stroke. Brain Impairment, 10 (3), 271–281. , , , , & (
- 2002). A survey of general practitioners’ attitudes to older drivers on the New South Wales Central Coast. Australasian Journal on Ageing, 21 (2), 98–99. (
- National Stroke Foundation (2010a). Clinical guidelines for stroke management 2010. Melbourne: National Stroke Foundation.
- National Stroke Foundation (2010b). National stroke audit rehabilitation services 2010. Melbourne: National Stroke Foundation.
- 2005). Ischaemic stroke in young adults: Predictors of outcome and recurrence. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 76 (2), 191–195. , , , , , et al. (
- 1992). Validation of a cognitive assessment: Predicting driving performance after stroke. Clinical Rehabilitation, 766, 275–281. & (
- 2008). Assessment of driving after stroke: A pluridisciplinary task. Accident Analysis and Prevention, 40 (2), 452–460. , , & (
- 2000). Foundations of clinicial research: Applications to practice (2nd ed.).Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Prentic Hall Health. & (
- Roads and Traffic Authority (2008). 2008 changes to the NSW road rules. Sydney, New South Wales: Roads and Traffic Authority.
- Roads and Traffic Authority (2011). Driver knowledge test questions. Retrieved 8 July, 2011, from http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/tests/driverknowledgetest/driverknowledgetestquestions.html
- 2003). Keeping older adults on the road: The role of occupational therapists and other aging specialists. Generations, 27 (2), 39–43. (
- 2008). The Nordic Stroke Driver Screening Assessment as predictor for the outcome of an on-road test. Scandinavian Journal of Occupational Therapy, 17 (1), 10–17. , , & (
- 2007). Return to driving following stroke: Prevalence and associated factors. Unpublished thesis, Masters of Applied Science (Occupational Therapy). Sydney: The University of Sydney. (
- 2005). Review of tests contributing to the occupational therapy off-road driver assessment. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 52 (1), 57–74. , , & (
- World Health Organization (2007). Chapter IX, cerebrovascular diseases (160–169). Retreived 8 July, 2011, from http://apps.who.int/classifications/apps/icd/icd10online/