Present address, University of Connecticut, Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, Center for Regenerative Biology, Advanced Technology Laboratory, 1392 Storrs Road, Unit 4243, Storrs, Connecticut 06269-4243, USA.
Hoxa-11 and Hoxa-13 are involved in repression of MyoD during limb muscle development
Article first published online: 30 JAN 2004
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 45, Issue 5-6, pages 485–498, October 2003
How to Cite
Yamamoto, M. and Kuroiwa, A. (2003), Hoxa-11 and Hoxa-13 are involved in repression of MyoD during limb muscle development. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 45: 485–498. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2003.00715.x
- Issue published online: 30 JAN 2004
- Article first published online: 30 JAN 2004
- Received 23 July 2003; revised 27 August 2003; accepted 28 August 2003.
- 2002. Follistatin regulates bone morphogenetic protein-7 (BMP-7) activity to stimulate embryonic muscle growth. Dev. Biol. 243, 115–127. , , , , &
- 1998. The importance of timing differentiation during limb muscle development. Curr. Biol. 8, 642–652. , , &
- 1999. Msx1 antagonizes the myogenic activity of Pax3 in migrating limb muscle precursors. Development 126, 4965–4976. , , , &
- 1983. Cytoplasmic activation of human nuclear genes in stable heterocaryons. Cell 32, 1171–1180. , &
- 1994. Pax-3 is required for the development of limb muscles: a possible role for the migration of dermomyotomal muscle progenitor cells. Development 120, 603–612. , , , &
- 1998. A simplified in situ hybridization protocol using non-radioactively labeled probes to detect abundant and rare mRNA on tissue sections. Biochemica 72, 10–16. &
- 2000. Characterization of Hoxa-10/Hoxa-11 transheterozygotes reveals functional redundancy and regulatory interactions. Dev. Biol. 224, 373–387. , , , &
- 2003. The formation of skeletal muscle: from somite to limb. J. Anat. 202, 59–68. , , et al.
- 1977. Limb-somite relationship: origin of the limb musculature. J. Embryol. Exp. Morph. 41, 245–258. , &
- 1977. Experimental analysis of the origin of the wing musculature in avian embryos. Anat. Embryol. (Berl) 150, 171–186. , &
- 1995. Early stages of chick somite development. Anat. Embryol. (Berl) 191, 381–396. &
- 1996. Pax-3 is necessary for migration but not differentiation of limb muscle precursors in the mouse. Development 122, 1017–1027. , , &
- 1990. Localized expression of a myogenic regulatory gene, qmf1, in the somite dermatome of avian embryos. Genes Dev. 4, 567–581. &
- 2000. Delta 1-activated notch inhibits muscle differentiation without affecting Myf5 and Pax3 expression in chick limb myogenesis. Development 127, 5213–5224. , , &
- 1997. Control of dorsoventral pattern in the chick paraxial mesoderm. Development 124, 3895–3908. , &
- 1991. Patterning in the vertebrate limb. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 1, 211–216.
- 1994. Colinearity and functional hierarchy among genes of the homeotic complexes. Trends Genet. 10, 358–364. &
- 2002. Signals regulating muscle formation in the limb during embryonic development. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 46, 915–925.
- 1998. Sonic Hedgehog induces proliferation of committed skeletal muscle cells in the chick limb. Development 125, 495–505. , &
- 1993. Replication-competent retroviral vectors encoding alkaline phosphatase reveal spatial restriction of viral gene expression/transduction in the chick embryo. Mol. Cell Biol. 13, 2604–2613. &
- 1996. Hoxa-13 and Hoxd-13 play a crucial role in the patterning of the limb autopod. Development 122, 2997–3011. , , , , &
- 1990. Myogenin contains two domains conserved among myogenic factors. J. Biol. Chem. 265, 15 219–15 223. , , &
- 1992. Differential trans-activation of muscle-specific regulatory elements including the mysosin light chain box by chicken MyoD, myogenin, and MRF4. J. Biol. Chem. 267, 10 031–10 038. , , , &
- 1993. Homeotic genes autonomously specify one aspect of pattern in the Drosophila mesoderm. Nature 362, 630–632. &
- 1993. The establishment of murine Hox-1 expression domains during patterning of the limb. Dev. Biol. 157, 410–422. &
- 1999. Distinct signaling molecules control Hoxa-11 and Hoxa-13 expression in the muscle precursor and mesenchyme of the chick limb bud. Development 126, 2771–2783. , , &
- 1995. Myogenic cell migration from somites is induced by tissue contact with medial region of the presumptive limb mesoderm in chick embryos. Development 121, 661–669. &
- 1999. Regulation of a muscle-specific transgene by persistent expression of Hox genes in postnatal murine limb muscle. Dev. Dyn. 216, 385–397. &
- 1999. The homeobox gene Msx1 is expressed in a subset of somites, and in muscle progenitor cells migrating into the forelimb. Development 126, 2689–2701. , , et al.
- 1997. Insertional mutation of the mouse Msx1 homeobox gene by an nlacZ reporter gene. Mech. Dev. 65, 123–133. , , &
- 1987. Adaptor plasmids simplify the insertion of foreign DNA into helper-independent retroviral vectors. J. Virol. 61, 3004–3012. , , &
- 1996. Loss of fibroblast growth factor receptors is necessary for terminal differentiation of embryonic limb muscle. Development 122, 291–300. , &
- 1997. MyoD and Myf-5 differentially regulate the development of limb versus trunk skeletal muscle. Development 124, 4729–4738. , , , , &
- 1997. Distributions of PAX6 and PAX7 proteins suggest their involvement in both early and late phases of chick brain development. Mech. Dev. 66, 119–130. , , &
- 1996. Myogenic determination factor expression in the developing avian limb bud: an RT–PCR analysis. Dev. Biol. 174, 407–422. &
- 1997. Ectopic Pax-3 activates MyoD and Myf-5 expression in embryonic mesoderm and neural tissue. Cell 89, 139–148. , , , , &
- 1992. Homeobox genes and axial patterning. Cell 68, 283–302. &
- 1994. Muscle pattern diversification in Drosophila is determined by the autonomous function of homeotic genes in the embryonic mesoderm. Development 120, 755–768.
- 1999. Efficient targeting of gene expression in chick embryos by microelectroporation. Dev. Growth Differ. 41, 335–344. , , , , &
- 1991. Efficient selection for high-expression transfectants with a novel eukaryotic vector. Gene 108, 193–199. , &
- 1995. Localization, trafficking, and temperature-dependence of the Aequorea green fluorescent protein in cultured vertebrate cells. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 92, 11 899–11 903. , , , &
- 1992. Two myogenic lineages within the developing somite. Development 114, 339–353. &
- 2001. Molecular basis for the inhibition of Drosophila eye development by Antennapedia. EMBO J. 20, 802–811. , , et al.
- 1997. Genetic interactions of Hox genes in limb development: learning from compound mutants. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 7, 481–487. &
- 1994. Tissue and cellular patterning of the musculature in chick wings. Development 120, 1265–1276. , , &
- 1997. Homeotic genes and the regulation of myoblast migration, fusion, and fibre-specific gene expression during adult myogenesis in Drosophila. Development 124, 3333–3341. &
- 1994. Msx1 deficient mice exhibit cleft palate and abnormalities of craniofacial and tooth development. Nat.Genet. 6, 348–356. &
- 1999. SF/HGF is a mediator between limb patterning and muscle development. Development 126, 4885–4893. , , et al.
- 1990. The formation of premuscle masses during chick wing bud development. Anat. Embryol. (Berl) 182, 235–247. &
- 1977. The pattern of muscle and tendon development in the chick wing. In: Vertebrate Limb and Somite Morphgenesis (eds D. A.Ede, J. R.Hinchliffe & M.Balls). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. &
- 2001. The HOX homeodomain proteins block CBP histone acetyltransferase activity. Mol. Cell Biol. 21, 7509–7522. , , &
- 1992. Expression of Hox-7.1 in myoblasts inhibits terminal differentiation and induces cell transformation. Nature 360, 477–481. , &
- 2001. Loss of Eph-receptor expression correlates with loss of cell adhesion and chondrogenic capacity in Hoxa13 mutant limbs. Development 128, 4177–4188. , &
- 2001a. Sparking new frontiers: using in vivo electroporation for genetic manipulations. Dev. Biol. 233, 13–21. , , &
- 2001b. EphA4/ephrin–A5 interactions in muscle precursor cell migration in the avian forelimb. Development 128, 4669–4680. , , &
- 1994. Mouse limb muscle is determined in the absence of the earliest myogenic factor Myf-5. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 91, 747–751. &
- 1997. Redefining the genetic hierarchies controlling skeletal myogenesis: Pax-3 and Myf-5 act upstream of. Myod. Cell 89, 127–138. , , &
- 1995. MSX1 inhibits myoD expression in fibroblast x 10T1/2 cell hybrids. Cell 82, 611–620. , , et al.
- 1977. Serial passaging and differentiation of myogenic cells isolated from dystrophic mouse muscle. Nature 270, 725–727. &
- 1998. Coordinated expression of Hoxa-11 and Hoxa-13 during limb muscle patterning. Development 125, 1325–1335. , , et al.
- 1995. Misexpression of Hoxa-13 induces cartilage homeotic transformation and changes cell adhesiveness in chick limb buds. Genes Dev. 9, 2509–2522. , , et al.
- 1991. Homeobox gene expression correlated with the bifurcation process of limb cartilage development. Nature 353, 443–445. , &