Molecular identification of the skin transformation center of anuran larval skin using genes of Rana adult keratin (RAK) and SPARC as probes
Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2004
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 45, Issue 5-6, pages 515–526, October 2003
How to Cite
Ishida, Y., Suzuki, K.-i., Utoh, R., Obara, M. and Yoshizato, K. (2003), Molecular identification of the skin transformation center of anuran larval skin using genes of Rana adult keratin (RAK) and SPARC as probes. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 45: 515–526. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2003.00719.x
- Issue online: 30 JAN 2004
- Version of Record online: 30 JAN 2004
- Received 25 August 2003; revised 10 October 2003; accepted 10 October 2003.
- 1998. Isolation of genes involved in intestinal remodeling during anuran metamorphosis. Wound Repair Regen. 6, 302–313.
- 1997. Cloning and characterization of the full length cDNA encoding α2 type I collagen of bullfrog Rana catesbeiana. Gene 194, 283–289. , , &
- 1999. Cell-type specific and thyroid hormone-dependent expression of genes of α1(I) and α2(I) collagen in intestine during amphibian metamorphosis. Matrix Biol. 18, 89–103. , , &
- 1993. Molecular analysis of chicken embryo SPARC (osteonectin). Eur. J. Biochem. 218, 117–127. , , , , &
- 2001. SPARC, a matricellular protein that functions in cellular differentiation and tissue response to injury. J. Clin. Invest. 107, 1049–1054. &
- 2001. SPARC, a matricellular protein: at the crossroads of cell-matrix communication. Matrix Biol. 19, 816–827. &
- 2000. Involvement of SPARC in vitro differentiation of skeletal myoblasts. Biophys. Res. Commun. 271, 630–634. , , , , &
- 1986. Basement membrane proteins produced by Schwann cells and in neurofibromatosis. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 486, 248–259. , , , &
- 1886. Zur Entwicklung der Gewebe im Schwanze der Froschlarven. Arch. Mikrosk. Anat. 2, 490–506.
- 1998. Importance of the basement membrane protein SPARC for viability and fertility in Caenorhabditis elegans. Curr. Biol. 8, 1285–1288. &
- 1993. Modulation of SPARC expression during butyrate-induced terminal differentiation of cultured human keratinocytes: regulation via a TGF-beta- dependent pathway. Exp. Cell Res. 206, 261–275. , , et al.
- 1992. Figures of Eberth in the amphibian larval epidermis. J. Morph. 212, 87–97.
- 1986. Genesis and regression of the figures of Eberth and occurrence of cytokeratin aggregates in the epidermis of anuran larvae. Anat. Embryol. 174, 73–82. &
- 1981. Metamorphosis. Plenum Press, New York. & (eds)
- 1998. BM-40. (osteonectin, SPARC) is expressed both in the epidermal and in the dermal compartment of adult human skin. J. Invest. Dermatol. 110, 122–126. , , , &
- 1997. Early specification of intestinal epithelium in the chicken embryo: a study on the localization and regulation of CdxA expression. Dev. Growth Differ. 39, 643–653. , , , &
- 1993. Different distribution of epidermal basal cells in the anuran larval skin correlates with the skin's region-specific fate at metamorphosis. J. Exp. Zool. 267, 605–615. , &
- 1994. A three-step mechanism of action of thyroid hormone and mesenchyme in metamorphic changes in anuran larval skin. Dev. Biol. 166, 477–488. , , &
- 1975. Changes in amino acid uptake and protein synthesis of bullfrog tadpole liver and tail tissues during triiodothyronine-induced metamorphosis. Dev. Biol. 46, 151–159. , &
- 1989. Cell death in the anuran tadpole tail: thyroid hormone induces keratinization and tail-specific growth inhibition of epidermal cells. Dev. Biol. 131, 337–344. , &
- 1985. Epidermal cells of anuran tadpole tail: its isolation and characterization in vitro. Zool. Sci. 2, 201–211. &
- 1986. Hormonal regulation of growth and life span of bullfrog tadpole tail epidermal cells cultured in vitro. J. Exp. Zool. 2, 221–230. &
- 1991. Biochemical and immunological characterization of collagenase in tissues of metamorphosing bullfrog tadpoles. Dev. Growth Differ. 33,. 329–339. &
- 1993. Developmental anomalies of Xenopus embryos following microinjection of SPARC antibodies. J. Exp. Zool. 265, 153–164. , , &
- 1994. TGF-beta 1 induces the expression of type I collagen and SPARC, and enhances contraction of collagen gels, by fibroblasts from young and aged donors. J. Cell Physiol. 158, 169–179. , , &
- 1987. Morphology of ventral epidermis of Rana catesbeiana during metamorphosis. Anat. Rec. 217, 305–317. &
- 2000. Targeted chromatin binding and histone acetylation in vivo by thyroid hormone receptor during amphibian development. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 97, 13 138–13 143. &
- 1989. SPARC, a secreted protein associated with cellular proliferation, inhibits cells spreading in vitro and exhibits Ca+2-dependent binding to the extracellular matrix. J. Cell Biol. 109, 341–356. , , , &
- 1992. Regulation and role of PDGF receptor α-subunit expression during embryogenesis. Development 115, 123–131. , , , &
- 1999. Amphibian Metamorphosis. John Wiley & Sons, New York.
- 1998. Tumorigenic conversion of immortal human keratinocytes through stromal cell activation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 95, 1050–1055. &
- 2001. Novel Rana keratin genes and their expression during larval to adult epidermal conversion in bullfrog tadpoles. Differentiation 68, 44–54. , , , , &
- 2002. Lineage of anuran epidermal basal cells and their differentiation potential in relation to metamorphic skin remodeling. Dev. Growth Differ. 44, 225–238. , , , &
- 1998. Visualization of the initiation and sequential expansion of the metamorphic conversion of anuran skin into the precursor of adult type. Dev. Growth Differ. 40, 105–112. , &
- 1946. Stages in the normal development of Rana pipiens larvae. Anat. Rec. 94, 7–23. &
- 1981. Osteonectin, a bone-specific protein linking mineral to collagen. Cell 26, 99–105. , , , , &
- 2000. Developmentally and regionally regulated participation of epidermal cells in the formation of collagen lamella of anuran tadpole skin. Dev. Growth Differ. 42, 571–580. , , , , &
- 2003. Platelet-derived growth factor signaling as a cue of the epithelial–mesenchymal interaction required for anuran skin metamorphosis. Dev. Dyn. 227, 157–169. , , &
- 2001. New epidermal keratin genes from Xenopus laevis: hormonal and regional regulation of their expression during anuran skin metamorphosis. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1517, 339–350. , , , &
- 2002. Metamorphosis-dependent transcriptional regulation of xak-c, a novel. Xenopus type I keratin gene. Dev. Dyn. 225, 561–570. , , et al.
- 1991. Regulation of the expression of a secreted acidic protein rich in cysteine (SPARC) in human fibroblasts by transforming growth factor beta. Comparison of transcriptional and post-transcriptional control with fibronectin and type I collagen. Euro. J. Biochem. 197, 519–528. , &
- 1999. SPARC, a matricellular glycoprotein with important biological functions. J. Histochem. Cytochem. 47, 1495–1506. &
- 1986. How do tadpoles lose their tail during metamorphosis? Zool. Sci. 3, 219–226.
- 1989. Biochemistry and cell biology of amphibian metamorphosis with a special emphasis on the mechanism of removal of larval organs. Int. Rev. Cytol. 119, 97–149.
- 1992. Death and transformation of larval cells during metamorphosis of anura. Dev. Growth Differ. 34, 607–612.
- 1996. Cell death and histolysis in amphibian tail during metamorphosis. In Metamorphosis (eds L. I.Gilbert, J. R.Tata & B. G.Atkinson), pp. 647–671. Academic press, New York.
- 1980. Stimulation of glucose utilization and lactate production in cultured human fibroblasts by thyroid hormone. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 627, 23–29. , &