Two-step consumption of yolk granules during the development of quail embryos
Article first published online: 17 JUN 2004
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 46, Issue 3, pages 229–238, April 2004
How to Cite
Yoshizaki, N., Soga, M., Ito, Y., Mao, K. M., Sultana, F. and Yonezawa, S. (2004), Two-step consumption of yolk granules during the development of quail embryos. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 46: 229–238. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2004.00740.x
- Issue published online: 17 JUN 2004
- Article first published online: 17 JUN 2004
- Received 26 January 2004; revised 26 February 2004; accepted 27 February 2004.
- 1995. The role of ion transport in the formation of sub-embryonic fluid by the embryo of the Japanese quail. Br. Poul. Sci. 36, 371–383. &
- 1977. The fine structure of the hen's ovum at ovulation. Biol. Reprod. 17, 361–369. &
- 1965. An Introduction to Embryology. W.B. Saunders Co, London.
- 1964. Biological aspects of the yolk of the hen's egg. Adv. Morph. 4, 217–272.
- 1965. The relationship between oocyte and follicle in the hen's ovary as shown by electron microscopy. J. Embryol. Exp. Morph. 13, 215–233.
- 1989. The avian egg: Chemistry and Biology. John Wiley & Sons, New York. &
- 1995. Proteolysis of Japanese quail and chicken plasma apolipoprotein B and vitellogenin by cathepsin D. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 112B, 191–196. , , &
- 1997. Uptake of yolk very low density lipoprotein by chicken and quail embryos is not mediated by a homologue of the oocyte vitellogenesis receptor. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 118B, 913–920. &
- 1954. The breakdown of isolated yolk granules by cations. Protoplasma 43, 79–89.
- 1994. Changes in yolk platelet pH during Xenopus laevis development correlate with yolk utilization. J. Cell Sci. 107, 3325–3337. &
- 1997. Proteolytic enzymes in yolk-sac membrane of quail egg. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 118B, 159–166. , , et al.
- 1999. Proteolytic activity in the yolk sac membrane of quail eggs. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. 123A, 1–8. , &
- 2003. Vitellogenin transport and yolk formation in the quail ovary. Zool. Sci. 20, 717–726. , , , &
- 1973. Histogenesis of the yolk sac in the chick. Can. J. Zool. 51, 509–519. &
- 1970. An electron microscopic study of the entodermal cells of the yolk sac of the chick during incubation and after hatching. Am. J. Anat. 129, 1–20.
- 2002. Role of carbon dioxide and ion transport in the formation of sub-embryonic fluid by the blastoderm of the Japanese quail. Br. Poult. Sci. 43, 104–116. &
- 1979. Structure of the endodermal epithelium of the chick yolk sac during early stages of development. Am. J. Anat. 155, 287–310. &
- 1981. Transport across endodermal cells of the chick yolk sac during early stages of development. Am. J. Anat. 160, 285–308. &
- 1977. Isolation and fractionation of the protein moiety of egg yolk low density lipoprotein. Poult. Sci. 56, 1148–1152. , &
- 1991. Receptor-mediated lipoprotein transport in laying hens. J. Nutr. 121, 1471–1474. &
- 1910. Studies on the early development of the hen's egg. J. Morph. 21, 101–134.
- 1979. Yolk transport in the ovarian follicle of the hen (Gallus domesticus). J. Cell Sci. 39, 257–272. &
- 1985. The structure of yellow yolk in the domestic fowl. J. Ultrastr. Res. 90, 313–322. &
- 1984. The binding of very low density and low density lipoproteins to the plasma membrane of the hen's oocyte. Exp. Cell Res. 151, 433–446. , &
- 1976. Protein components in the very low density lipoproteins of hen's egg yolks. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 446, 387–398. &
- 1992. Molecular cloning and functional characterization of chicken cathepsin D, a key enzyme for yolk formation. DNA Cell Biol. 11, 661–672. , , , &
- 1980. Water and ionic fluxes inside the egg. Am. Zool. 20, 385–393.
- 1998. Transport and transformations of yolk lipids during development of the avian embryo. Prog. Lipid Res. 37, 1–32. , &
- 1990. A single chicken oocyte plasma membrane protein mediates uptake of very low density lipoprotein and vitellogenin. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87, 1955–1959. , , &
- 2000. Fertilization in birds. In: Fertilization in Protozoa and Metazoan Animals (eds J. J.Tarin & A.Cans), pp. 193–222. Springer, Heidelberg. &
- 1985. Acid proteases from the yolk and the yolk-sac of the hen's egg. Int. J. Biochem. 17, 405–413. , &
- 1995. Precursor-product relationship between chicken vitellogenin and the yolk proteins. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1244, 384–394. , , , , &
- 1976. Polypeptide composition of hen's egg yolk very low density lipoprotein. Agr. Biol. Chem. 40, 1581–1586. , &
- 1999. Sodium accumulation in decomposing yolk platelets during the development of Xenopus laevis. Zool. Sci. 16, 131–137.
- 2002. Absorption, transportation and digestion of egg white in quail embryos. Dev. Growth Differ. 44, 11–22. , , , &
- 1996. Salt concentration-dependency of vitellogenin processing by cathepsin D in Xenopus laevis. Dev. Growth Differ. 38, 549–556. &
- 1998. Cysteine proteinase plays a key role for the initiation of yolk digestion during development of Xenopus laevis. Dev. Growth Differ. 40, 659–667. &