†These authors contributed equally to this study.
Molecular analysis of cardiomyocytes derived from human embryonic stem cells
Version of Record online: 7 JUL 2005
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 47, Issue 5, pages 295–306, June 2005
How to Cite
Segev, H., Kenyagin-Karsenti, D., Fishman, B., Gerecht-Nir, S., Ziskind, A., Amit, M., Coleman, R. and Itskovitz-Eldor, J. (2005), Molecular analysis of cardiomyocytes derived from human embryonic stem cells. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 47: 295–306. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2005.00803.x
- Issue online: 7 JUL 2005
- Version of Record online: 7 JUL 2005
- Received 11 August 2004; revised 3 April 2005; accepted 4 April 2005.
- 2000. Clonally derived human embryonic stem cell lines maintain pluripotency and proliferative potential for prolonged periods of culture. Dev. Biol. 227, 271–278. , , et al.
- 2000. Staging of the commitment of murine cardiac cell progenitors. Dev. Biol. 225, 214–225. , , , , &
- 2002.Differentiation of pluripotent embryonic stem cells in cardiomyocytes. Circ. Res. 91, 189–201. , , , , &
- 1989. Differentiation of adult rat cardiac myocytes in cell culture. Circ. Res. 64, 493–500. &
- 2003. Characterization and differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. Cloning Stem Cells 5, 79–88. , &
- 2003. Fibroblast growth factor receptor-1 is essential for in vitro cardiomyocyte development. Circ. Res. 93, 414–420. Epub 2003 July 31. , , , , &
- 2000. Vasculogenesis in the day 6.5 to 9.5 mouse embryo. Blood 95, 1671–1679. &
- 1998. Combinatorial interactions regulating cardiac transcription. Dev. Genet. 22, 250–262. &
- 1981. Establishment in culture of pluripotential cells from mouse embryos. Nature 292, 154–156. &
- 2003. Cardiomyocytes derived from embryonic stem cells resemble cardiomyocytes of the embryonic heart tube. Cardiovasc. Res. 58, 399–409. , , et al.
- 2005. Vascular gene expression and phenotypic correlation during differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. Dev. Dyn. 232, 487–497. , , et al.
- 2000. Brachyury is expressed by human teratocarcinoma cells in the absence of mesodermal differentiation. Cell Growth Differ. 11, 157–162. , &
- 1997. Enhanced cardiogenesis in embryonic stem cells overexpressing the GATA-4 transcription factor. Development 124, 2387–2395. , &
- 1994. Evidence that a leukocyte type of 12-lipoxygenase is expressed and regulated by angiotensin II in human adrenal glomerulosa cells. Endocrinology 134, 70–77. , , et al.
- 1983. alpha-skeletal and alpha-cardiac actin genes are coexpressed in adult human skeletal muscle and heart. Mol. Cell Biol. 3, 1985–1995. , , &
- 2003. Human embryonic stem cells develop into multiple types of cardiac myocytes: action potential characterization. Circ Res. 93, 32–39. , , , &
- 1991. Expression pattern of the Brachyury gene in whole-mount TWis/TWis mutant embryos. Development 113, 913–917.
- 1990. Cloning of the T gene required in mesoderm formation in the mouse. Nature 343, 617–622. , , , &
- 1997. Embryonic stem cells: a model to study structural and functional properties in cardiomyogenesis. Cardiovasc. Res. 36, 149–162. , , et al.
- 1996. Developmental biology of the vertebrate heart. J. Exp. Zool. 275, 144–161.
- 2000. Differentiation of human embryonic stem cells into embryoid bodies compromising the three embryonic germ layers. Mol. Med. 6, 88–95. , , et al.
- 2001. Hematopoietic colony-forming cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 98, 10716–10721. Epub 2001 September 04. , , , &
- 2002. High-resolution electrophysiological assessment of human embryonic stem cell-derived cardiomyocytes: a novel in vitro model for the study of conduction. Circ. Res. 91, 659–661. , , , &
- 2001. Human embryonic stem cells can differentiate into myocytes with structural and functional properties of cardiomyocytes. J. Clin. Invest. 108, 407–414. , , et al.
- 1993. The Brachyury gene encodes a novel DNA binding protein. EMBO J. 12, 3211–3220. &
- 1996. Genetically selected cardiomyocytes from differentiating embronic stem cells form stable intracardiac grafts. J. Clin. Invest 98, 216–224. , , &
- 2004. Tracking mesoderm formation and specification to the hemangioblast in vitro. Trends Cardiovasc. Med. 14, 314–317. , &
- 1977. Cholinergic and adrenergic receptors on mouse cardiocytes in vitro. Dev. Biol. 57, 254–269. , , &
- 1990. Atrial natriuretic factor in the heart of the human embryo. Acta Anat. (Basel) 138, 132–136.
- 2002. Endothelial cells derived from human embryonic stem cells. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 99, 4391–4396. Epub 2002 March 26. , , , &
- 1995. Myosin heavy chain expression in contracting myocytes isolated during embryonic stem cell cardiogenesis. Circ. Res. 76, 710–719. , , , &
- 1993. Of mouse and man: molecular switches that control cardiac growth and development. Heart Dis. Stroke 2, 157–165. &
- 2000. Selection of ventricular-like cardiomyocytes from ES cells in vitro. FASEB J. 14, 2540–2548. , , et al.
- 2003. Differentiation of human embryonic stem cells to cardiomyocytes: role of coculture with visceral endoderm-like cells. Circulation 107, 2733–2740. , , et al.
- 1997. Myosin heavy chain gene expression in human heart failure. J. Clin. Invest. 100, 2362–2370. , , , &
- 1998. Natural killer and B-lymphoid potential in CD34+ cells derived from embryonic stem cells differentiated in the presence of vascular endothelial growth factor. Blood 91, 2283–2295. , &
- 1997. Cardiomyocyte differentiation by GATA-4-deficient embryonic stem cells. Development 124, 3755–3764. , &
- 1996. Molecular pathways controlling heart development. Science 272, 671–676. &
- 1980. Human atrial and ventricular myosin light-chains subunits in the adult and during development. Biochem. J. 191, 571–580. , &
- 2000. Embryonic stem cell lines from human blastocysts: somatic differentiation in vitro. Nat. Biotechnol. 18, 399–404. , , , &
- 2001. Effective cryopreservation of human embryonic stem cells by the open pulled straw vitrification method. Hum. Reprod. 16, 2187–2194. , , &
- 1999. Expression of atrial myosin light chains but not alpha-myosin heavy chains is correlated in vivo with increased ventricular function in patients with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. J. Mol. Med. 77, 677–685. , , et al.
- 2004. Long-term culture of human embryonic stem cells in feeder-free conditions. Dev. Dyn. 229, 259–274. , , et al.
- 2003. Cardiac specific differentiation of mouse embryonic stem cells. Cardiovasc. Res. 58, 278–291. , , , , &
- 2003. Factors controlling human embryonic stem cell differentiation. Meth. Enzymol. 365, 446–461. &
- 2004. Wnt11 facilitates embryonic stem cell differentiation to Nkx2.5-positive cardiomyocytes. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 325, 968–975. , , , &
- 1998. Embryonic stem cell lines derived from human blastocysts. Science 282, 1145–1147. , , et al.
- 1996. Embryonic stem cells differentiate in vitro to endothelial cells through successive maturation steps. Blood 88, 3424–3431. , , et al.
- 1990. Expression pattern of the mouse T gene and its role in mesoderm formation. Nature 343, 657–659. , &
- 2002. Characterization and enrichment of cardiomyocytes derived from human embryonic stem cells. Circ. Res. 91, 501–508. , , &
- 1993. flk-1, an flt-related receptor tyrosine kinase is an early marker for endothelial cell precursors. Development 118, 489–498. , , , &
- 1987. Localized expression of the atrial natriuretic factor gene during cardiac embryogenesis. Genes Dev. 1, 693–698. , , , &