Cytokine-induced stable neuronal differentiation of human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in a serum/feeder cell-free condition
Article first published online: 18 AUG 2005
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 47, Issue 6, pages 423–433, August 2005
How to Cite
Tao, H., Rao, R. and Ma, D. D. F. (2005), Cytokine-induced stable neuronal differentiation of human bone marrow mesenchymal stem cells in a serum/feeder cell-free condition. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 47: 423–433. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2005.00810.x
- Issue published online: 18 AUG 2005
- Article first published online: 18 AUG 2005
- Received 4 May 2005; accepted 30 May 2005.
- 2001. In vitro differentiation of human marrow stromal cells into early progenitors of neural cells by conditions that increase intracellular cyclic AMP. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun 282, 148–152. , , &
- 1968. Heterotopic of bone marrow. Analysis of precursor cells for osteogenic and hematopoietic tissues. Transplantation 6, 230–247. , , &
- 2004. Microarray and serial analysis of gene expression analyses identify known and novel transcripts overexpressed in hematopoietic stem cells. Cancer Res. 64, 4434–4441. , , et al.
- 1996. The biology and application of human bone marrow stromal cell precursors. J. Hematother. 5, 15–23. &
- 2003. Molecular and cellular characterisation of highly purified stromal stem cells derived from human bone marrow. J. Cell Sci. 116, 1827–1835. , , et al.
- 1992a. Cell surface antigens on human marrow-derived mesenchymal cells are detected by monoclonal antibodies. Bone 13, 69–80. , &
- 1992b. Characterization of cells with osteogenic potential from human marrow. Bone 13, 81–88. , , &
- 2004. Efficient generation of neural stem cell-like cells from adult human bone marrow stromal cells. J. Cell Sci. 117, 4411–4422. Epub 2004 Aug 4410. , , et al.
- 2003. Neuroectodermal differentiation from mouse multipotent adult progenitor cells. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100 (Suppl. 1), 11854–11860. , , , , &
- 2003. Induction of neuronal markers in bone marrow cells: differential effects of growth factors and patterns of intracellular expression. Exp. Neurol. 184, 78–89. , , , &
- 2003. Postnatal astrocytes promote neural induction from adult human bone marrow-derived stem cells. J. Hematother. Stem Cell Res. 12, 681–688. , , , , &
- 1996. Single factors direct the differentiation of stem cells from the fetal and adult central nervous system. Genes Dev. 10, 3129–3140. , , , &
- 2002. Generation of neural progenitor cells from whole adult bone marrow. Exp. Neurol. 178, 288–293. , , , &
- 2002. Differentiation of adult bone marrow stem cells into neuroprogenitor cells in vitro. Neuroreport 13, 1185–1188. , , &
- 2001. Resistance to induced apoptosis in the human neuroblastoma cell line SK-N-SH in relation to neuronal differentiation. Role of Bcl-2 protein family. Eur. J. Biochem. 268, 1352–1362. , , et al.
- 2004. Induction of bone marrow stromal cells to neurons: differentiation, transdifferentiation, or artifact? J. Neurosci. Res. 77, 174–191. , &
- 2004. Reevaluation of in vitro differentiation protocols for bone marrow stromal cells: disruption of actin cytoskeleton induces rapid morphological changes and mimics neuronal phenotype. J. Neurosci. Res. 77, 192–204. , , , , &
- 1999. Multilineage potential of adult human mesenchymal stem cells. Science 284, 143–147. , , et al.
- 2001. Isolation and characterization of rapidly self-renewing stem cells from cultures of human marrow stromal cells. Cytotherapy 3, 393–396. , &
- 2001. Purification and ex vivo expansion of postnatal human marrow mesodermal progenitor cells. Blood 98, 2615–2625. , , , , &
- 2000. Adult bone marrow stromal cells differentiate into neural cells in vitro. Exp. Neurol. 164, 247–256. , , et al.
- 2003. Multilineage gene expression in human bone marrow stromal cells as evidenced by single-cell microarray analysis. Blood Cells Mol. Dis. 31, 268–285. , &
- 1991. Identification of stromal cell precursors in human bone marrow by a novel monoclonal antibody, STRO-1. Blood 78, 55–62. &
- 2004. Primary human CD34+ hematopoietic stem and progenitor cells express functionally active receptors of neuromediators. Blood 104, 81–88. Epub 2004 Mar 2011. , , et al.
- 2003. Evidence for transdifferentiation of human bone marrow-derived stem cells: recent progress and controversies. Pathology 35, 6–13. &
- 2004. Bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stem cells already express specific neural proteins before any differentiation. Differentiation 72, 319–326. , , et al.
- 2002. Adult bone marrow stromal stem cells express germline, ectodermal, endodermal, and mesodermal genes prior to neurogenesis. J. Neurosci. Res. 69, 908–917. , &
- 2000. Adult rat and human bone marrow stromal cells differentiate into neurons. J. Neurosci. Res. 61, 364–370. , , &