Author's contribution: S. Kazemi Ashtiani, A. Taee, M. Massumi, and A. Farrokhi participated in the study design, experiments with stem cells, data analysis, and writing of the manuscript. S. Zarei Moradi performed the karyotype analysis. M. Rezazadeh Valojerdi and P. Eftekhari Yazdi participated in the blastocyst culture. H. Baharvand participated in the study design, data analysis, experiments with stem cells and preparation of the manuscript.
Generation of new human embryonic stem cell lines with diploid and triploid karyotypes
Version of Record online: 2 MAR 2006
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 48, Issue 2, pages 117–128, February 2006
How to Cite
Baharvand, H., Ashtiani, S. K., Taee, A., Massumi, M., Valojerdi, M. R., Yazdi, P. E., Moradi, S. Z. and Farrokhi, A. (2006), Generation of new human embryonic stem cell lines with diploid and triploid karyotypes. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 48: 117–128. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2006.00851.x
- Issue online: 2 MAR 2006
- Version of Record online: 2 MAR 2006
- Received 13 September 2005; revised 19 December 2005; accepted 23 December 2005.
- 2002. Cripto: a tumor growth factor and more. J. Cell Physiol. 190, 267–278. , &
- 2004. Establishment and in vitro differentiation of a new embryonic stem cell line from human blastocyst. Differentiation 72, 224–229. , , , , &
- 1998. Rex-1, a gene encoding a transcription factor expressed in the early embryo, is regulated via Oct-3/4 and Oct-6 binding to an octamer site and a novel protein, Rox-1, binding to an adjacent site. Mol. Cell Biol. 18, 1866–1878. , , &
- 2003. Setting standards for human embryonic stem cells. Science 300, 913–916. , , , , &
- 2003. Characterization and differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. Cloning Stem Cells 5, 79–88. , &
- 2003. Functional expression cloning of nanog, a pluripotency sustaining factor in embryonic stem cells. Cell 113, 643–655. , , et al.
- 2004. Derivation of embryonic stem-cell lines from human blastocysts. N. Engl. J. Med. 350, 1353–1356. , , et al.
- 2002. Cell coupling and Cx43 expression in embryonic mouse neural progenitor cells. J. Cell Sci. 115, 3241–3251. , , , , &
- 2004. Stem cells today: A. Origin and potential of embryo stem cells. RBM Online 8, 275–306.
- ES Cell International 2004. ES Cell International [Homepage on the internet]. Cited 2002. Available from http://www.escellinternational.com.
- 2000. Blastocyst score affects implantation and pregnancy outcome: towards a single blastocyst transfer. Fertil. Steril. 73, 1155–1158. , , , &
- 2004. Differences between human and mouse embryonic stem cells. Dev. Biol. 269, 360–380. , , et al.
- 2002. The embryonic stem cell transcription factors Oct-4 and FoxD3 interact to regulate endodermal-specific promoter expression. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 99, 663–667. , , et al.
- 2002. Requirement for Foxd3 in maintaining pluripotent cells of the early mouse embryo. Genes Dev. 16, 2650–2661. , , , &
- 2003. A morphological and chromosomal study of blastocysts developing from morphologically suboptimal human pre-embryos compared with control blastocysts. Hum. Reprod. 18, 399–407. , , , , &
- 2004. Derivation, characterization, and differentiation of human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells 22, 367–376. , , et al.
- 1994. Manipulating the Mouse Embryo: A Laboratory Manual. Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press, Cold Spring Harbor, NY. , &
- 2002. A stem cell molecular signature. Science 298, 601–604. , , , , &
- 1999. Human embryonic stem cells: the future is now. Nat. Med. 5, 151–152. &
- 2001. Use of human gametes obtained from anonymous donors for the production of human embryonic stem cell lines. Fertil. Steril. 76, 132–137. , , , , &
- 2005. Establishment and maintenance of human embryonic stem cell lines on human feeder cells derived from uterine endometrium under serum-free condition. Biol. Reprod. 72, 42–49. , , et al.
- 2003. Human embryonic stem cell lines derived from discarded embryos. Stem Cells 21, 521–526. , , et al.
- 2003. The homeoprotein nanog is required for maintenance of pluripotency in mouse epiblast and ES cells. Cell 113, 631–642. , , et al.
- 1998. Formation of pluripotent stem cells in the mammalian embryo depends on the POU transcription factor Oct4. Cell 95, 379–391. , , et al.
- 2000. Quantitative expression of Oct-3/4 defines differentiation, dedifferentiation or self-renewal of ES cells. Nat. Genet. 24, 372–376. , &
- 2001. Multilineage differentiation from human embryonic stem cells. Stem Cells 19, 193–204. , &
- 2004. Establishment of human embryonic stem cell lines from frozen-thawed blastocysts using STO cell feeder layers. Hum. Reprod. 19, 676–684. , , et al.
- 2003. Preimplantation genetic diagnosis as a novel source of embryos for stem cell research. RBM Online 7, 353–334. , , , , &
- 2002. ‘Stemness’: transcriptional profiling of embryonic and adult stem cells. Science 298, 597–600. , , , &
- 1994. Expression and function of FGF-4 in peri-implantation development in mouse embryos. Development 120, 2259–2269. , , &
- 2000. Embryonic stem cell lines from human blastocysts: somatic differentiation in vitro. Nat. Biotechnol. 18, 399–404. , , , &
- 2001. Effective cryopreservation of human embryonic stem cells by the open pulled straw vitrification method. Hum. Reprod. 16, 2187–2194. , , &
- 1975. Immunosurgery of mouse blastocyst. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 72, 5099–5102. &
- 2004. Derivation of human embryonic stem cells from day-8 blastocysts recovered after three-step in vitro culture. Stem Cells 22, 790–797. , , et al.
- 2004. Morula-derived human embryonic stem cells. Reprod. Biomed. Online 9, 623–629. , , &
- 1998. Embryonic stem cell lines derived from human blastocysts. Science 282, 1145–1147. , , et al.
- 2002. Human embryonic stem cells: mother of all cell and tissue types. RBM Online 4, 58–63.
- 2005. Human embryonic stem cell lines with genetic disorders. RBM Online 10, 105–110. , , et al.
- 1995. Developmental-specific activity of the FGF-4 enhancer requires the synergistic action of Sox2 and Oct-3. Genes Dev. 9, 2635–2645. , , &