Time-lapse analysis reveals different modes of primordial germ cell migration in the medaka Oryzias latipes
Version of Record online: 30 MAR 2006
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 48, Issue 3, pages 209–221, April 2006
How to Cite
Kurokawa, H., Aoki, Y., Nakamura, S., Ebe, Y., Kobayashi, D. and Tanaka, M. (2006), Time-lapse analysis reveals different modes of primordial germ cell migration in the medaka Oryzias latipes. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 48: 209–221. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2006.00858.x
- Issue online: 30 MAR 2006
- Version of Record online: 30 MAR 2006
- Received 6 December 2005; revised 20 January 2006; accepted 23 January 2006.
- 2003. Impaired colonization of the gonads by primordial germ cells in mice lacking a chemokine, stromal cell-derived factor-1 (SDF-1). Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100, 5319–5323. , , et al.
- 2002. Guidance of primordial germ cell migration by the chemokine SDF-1. Cell 111, 647–659. , , et al.
- 1998. Nanos and Pumilio have critical roles in the development and function of Drosophila germline stem cells. Development 125, 679–690. &
- 1995. Patterns of localization and cytoskeletal association of two vegetally localized RNAs, Vg1 and Xcat-2. Development 121, 201–208. , , &
- 2003. nanos1: a mouse nanos gene expressed in the central nervous system is dispensable for normal development. Mech. Dev. 120, 721–731. , , et al.
- 1994. Stages of Normal Development in the Medaka Oryzias latipes. Zool. Sci. 11, 825–839.
- 2004. Stages of normal development in the medaka Oryzias latipes. Mech. Dev. 121, 605–618.
- 2000. Zebrafish vasa RNA but not its protein is a component of the germ plasm and segregates asymmetrically before germline specification. J. Cell Biol. 149, 875–888. , , , &
- 2002. An evolutionary conserved region in the vasa 3′UTR targets RNA translation to the germ cells in the zebrafish. Curr. Biol. 12, 454–466. , , &
- 2003. A zebrafish homologue of the chemokine receptor Cxcr4 is a germ-cell guidance receptor. Nature 421, 279–282. , , &
- 1996. Essential role of the posterior morphogen nanos for germline development in Drosophila. Nature 380, 708–711. , , &
- 2001. A zebrafish nanos-related gene is essential for the development of primordial germ cells. Genes Dev. 15, 2877–2885. , , &
- 1999. Bmp4 is required for the generation of primordial germ cells in the mouse embryo. Genes Dev. 13, 424–436. , , et al.
- 2000. DEADSouth is a germ plasm specific DEAD-box RNA helicase in Xenopus related to eIF4A. Mech. Dev. 95, 291–295. , , , &
- 2004. Primordial germ cell migration. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 48, 537–544. &
- 2003. The chemokine SDF1/CXCL12 and its receptor CXCR4 regulate mouse germ cell migration and survival. Development 130, 4279–4286. , , et al.
- 2005. Shield formation at the onset of zebrafish gastrulation. Development 132, 1187–1198. , , , , &
- 2004. Mutations affecting gonadal development in Medaka, Oryzias latipes. Mech. Dev. 121, 829–839. , , et al.
- 2005. Blimp1 is a critical determinant of the germ cell lineage in mice. Nature 436, 207–213. , , et al.
- 1996. Ectopic lens induction in fish in response to the murine homeobox gene Six3. Mech. Dev. 60, 233–239. , , , &
- 1997. A vasa-like gene in zebrafish identifies putative primordial germ cells. Mech. Dev. 66, 95–105. , &
- 2000. The function and regulation of vasa-like genes in germ-cell development. Genome Biol. 1, 1017.
- 2004. Guidance of primordial germ cell migration. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 16, 169–173.
- 2004. In vivo time-lapse imaging in medaka –n-heptanol blocks contractile rhythmical movements. Mech. Dev. 121, 965–970. &
- 2002. A molecular programme for the specification of germ cell fate in mice. Nature 418, 293–300. , &
- 2004. Isoprenoids control germ cell migration downstream of HMGCoA reductase. Dev. Cell 6, 283–293. &
- 2004. Mutations affecting early distribution of primordial germ cells in Medaka (Oryzias latipes) embryo. Mech. Dev. 121, 817–828. , , et al.
- 2000. The vasa-like gene, olvas, identifies the migration path of primordial germ cells during embryonic body formation stage in the medaka, Oryzias latipes. Dev. Growth Differ. 42, 317–326. , , , &
- 2004. Primordial germ cell migration in the chick and mouse embryo: the role of the chemokine SDF-1/CXCL12. Dev. Biol. 272, 351–361. , , et al.
- 1999. nos-1 and nos-2, two genes related to Drosophila nanos, regulate primordial germ cell development and survival in Caenorhabditis elegans. Development 126, 4861–4871. &
- 1998. The chemokine receptor CXCR4 is essential for vascularization of the gastrointestinal tract. Nature 393, 591–594. , , et al.
- 2001. Establishment of medaka (Oryzias latipes) transgenic lines with the expression of green fluorescent protein fluorescence exclusively in germ cells: a useful model to monitor germ cells in a live vertebrate. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 98, 2544–2549. , , &
- 2004. Germ cell migration in zebrafish is dependent on HMGCoA reductase activity and prenylation. Dev. Cell 6, 295–302. , , , &
- 2000. Expression and intracellular localization of mouse Vasa-homologue protein during germ cell development. Mech. Dev. 93, 139–149. , , , , &
- 2003. Conserved role of nanos proteins in germ cell development. Science 301, 1239–1241. , , et al.
- 2000. Isolation of chicken vasa homolog gene and tracing the origin of primordial germ cells. Development 127, 2741–2750. , , , &
- 1998. HMG-CoA reductase guides migrating primordial germ cells. Nature 396, 466–469. , , &
- 1999. Identification of tissues and patterning events required for distinct steps in early migration of zebrafish primordial germ cells. Development 126, 5295–5307. , , , &
- 1975. Medaka (Killifish), Biology and Strains. Keigaku Publishing Co, Tokyo.
- 2004. Mutations affecting the formation of posterior lateral line system in Medaka, Oryzias latipes. Mech. Dev. 121, 729–738. , , et al.
- 2001. Induction of primordial germ cells from murine epiblasts by synergistic action of BMP4 and BMP8B signaling pathways. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 98, 7858–7862. , &
- 2001. Cooperation of endoderm-derived BMP2 and extraembryonic ectoderm-derived BMP4 in primordial germ cell generation in the mouse. Dev. Biol. 232, 484–492. &
- 1997. Zebrafish vasa homologue RNA is localized to the cleavage planes of 2- and 4-cell-stage embryos and is expressed in the primordial germ cells. Development 124, 3157–3165. , &
- 1998. Function of the chemokine receptor CXCR4 in haematopoiesis and in cerebellar development. Nature 393, 595–599. , , , &