Molecular collaborations between serpins and trefoil factor promote endodermal cell growth and gastrointestinal differentiation in budding tunicates
Article first published online: 1 JUN 2006
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 48, Issue 5, pages 309–322, June 2006
How to Cite
Kawamura, K., Kariya, Y., Ono, Y., Muramoto, A., Ohta, K. and Fujiwara, S. (2006), Molecular collaborations between serpins and trefoil factor promote endodermal cell growth and gastrointestinal differentiation in budding tunicates. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 48: 309–322. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2006.00865.x
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2006
- Article first published online: 1 JUN 2006
- Received 31 January 2006; revised 25 February 2006; accepted 2 March 2006.
- 2004. Phospholipids and their derivatives as mitogen and motogen of budding tunicates. J. Biochem. 135, 71–78. , , , , &
- 2002. Interaction of plasminogen activator inhibitor type-1 (PAI-1) with vitronectin. Eur. J. Biochem. 269, 184–192. , , et al.
- 2002. Evidence for a direct interaction between the tumor suppressor serpin, maspin, and type I and III collagen. J. Biol. Chem. 277, 10 783–10 788. &
- 1968. Blastogenesis and morphogenesis. In Advances in Morphogenesis, Vol. 7 (eds M.Abercrombie, J.Brachet & T. J.King), pp. 151–203. Academic Press, London.
- 2000. A positively charged loop on the surface of kallistatin functions to enhance tissue kallikrein inhibition by acting as a secondary binding site for kallikrein. J. Biol. Chem. 275, 40 371–40 377. , &
- 1996. Trefoil peptides: less clandestine in the intestine. Science 274, 204. &
- 1989. Proteolytic regulation of neurite outgrowth from neuroblastoma cells by thrombin and protease nexin-1. J. Cell Biochem. 39, 55–64. &
- 2002. Characterization of two serine protease inhibitors expressed in the pituitary gland. Arch. Physiol. Biochem. 110, 26–33. , , et al.
- 1976. The characterization of granular amoebocytes and their possible roles in the asexual reproduction of the polystyelid ascidian, Polyzoa vesiculiphora. J. Morph. 150, 623–637. &
- 1989. Stem cells: the generation and maintenance of cellular diversity. Development 106, 619–633. &
- 1989. Protease inhibitor as tumor-associated growth factor. Laryngol. Rhinol. Otol. 68, 51–56. , , &
- 1994. Transdifferentiation of pigmented multipotent epithelium during morphallactic development of budding tunicates. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 38, 369–377. &
- 1995. Establishment of cell lines from multipotent epithelial sheet in the budding tunicate, Polyandrocarpa misakiensis. Cell Struc. Func. 20, 97–106. &
- 1998. Serine protease inhibitors expressed in the process of budding of tunicates as revealed by EST analysis. J. Biochem. 124, 1004–1012. , , &
- 1986. Mitosis and body patterning during morphallactic development of palleal buds in ascidians. Dev. Biol. 116, 39–50. &
- 1991. Budding-specific lectin induced in epithelial cells is an extracellular matrix component for stem cell aggregation in tunicates. Development 113, 995–1005. , &
- 1995. Trefoil peptide protection of intestinal epithelial barrier function: cooperative interaction with mucin glycoprotein. Gastroenterology 109, 516–523. , , , &
- 1998. Isolation, purification, and characterization of a collagen-associated serpin, caspin, produced by murine colon adenocarcinoma cells. J. Biol. Chem. 273, 15 125–15 130. , , et al.
- 1970. Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature 227, 680–685.
- 1979. Stem cells concepts. Differentiation 14, 23–34.
- 1996. Gastric mucosa abnormalities and tumorigenesis in mice lacking the pS2 trefoil protein. Science 274, 259–262. , , et al.
- 1951. Protein measurement with the phenol reagent. J. Biol. Chem. 193, 265–275. , , &
- 1996. Distribution and expression of pancreatic secretory trypsin inhibitor and its possible role in epithelial restitution. Am. J. Pathol. 148, 715–722. , , , , &
- 1993. The plasminogen activator and inhibitor system in bone remodelling. Growth Regul. 3, 209–214. , &
- 1996. Impaired defense of intestinal mucosa in mice lacking intestinal trefoil factor. Science 274, 262–265. , , &
- 2001. A novel C-type lectin regulating cell growth, cell adhesion and cell differentiation of the multipotent epithelium in budding tunicates. Development 128, 3339–3347. , , , &
- 2002. Overexpression of the serpin magsin induces progressive mesangial cell proliferation and expression. J. Clin. Invest. 109, 585–593. , , et al.
- 1999. A retinoic acid-inducible modular protease in budding ascidians. Dev. Biol. 214, 38–45. , , , &
- 1996. Transgenic mice that overexpress the human trefoil peptide pS2 have an increased resistance to intestinal damage. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 93, 2137–2142. , , , , &
- 1988. Epithelial stem cells in vivo. J. Cell Sci. Suppl. 10, 45–62. &
- 1993. Trefoil peptides: a newly recognized family of epithelial mucin-associated molecules. Am. J. Physiol. 265, G205–G213. &
- 2000. Antithrombin III, a serpin family protease inhibitor, is a major heparin binding protein in porcine aqueous humor. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 272, 1–5. , , &
- 1999. Catalytic properties of the caspases. Cell Death Differ. 6, 1054–1059. &
- 1993. An ultrastructural study of blood cells in the ascidian, Polyandrocarpa misakiensis: Their classification and behavioral characteristics. Mem. Fac. Sci. Kochi Univ. Ser. D 14, 33–41. &
- 1989. A new family of growth factor-like peptides. ‘Trefoil’ disulphide loop structures as a common feature in breast cancer associated peptide (pS2), pancreatic spasmolytic polypeptide (PSP), and frog skin peptides (spasmolysins). FEBS Lett. 250, 85–90.
- 1972. Two new species and one possibly new race of social styelids from Sagami Bay, with remarks on their life history, especially the mode of budding. Publ. Seto Mar. Biol. Lab. 14, 327–345. &
- 2001. The structure of a Michaelis serpin-protease complex. Nat. Struct. Biol. 8, 979–983. et al.