Liver development and regeneration: From laboratory study to clinical therapy
Article first published online: 28 FEB 2007
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 49, Issue 2, pages 163–170, February 2007
How to Cite
Hata, S., Namae, M. and Nishina, H. (2007), Liver development and regeneration: From laboratory study to clinical therapy. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 49: 163–170. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2007.00910.x
- Issue published online: 28 FEB 2007
- Article first published online: 28 FEB 2007
- Received 15 November 2006; revised 18 November 2006; accepted 24 November 2006.
- 2005. Portal application of autologous CD133+ bone marrow cells to the liver: a novel concept to support hepatic regeneration. Stem Cells 23, 463–470. , et al.
- 1995. Embryonic lethality and liver degeneration in mice lacking the RelA component of NF-κB. Nature 376, 167–170. , , et al.
- 2000. Deficiency of T2K leads to apoptotic liver degeneration and impaired NF-κB-dependent gene transcription. EMBO J. 19, 4976–4985. , , et al.
- 1993. Activation, proliferation, and differentiation of progenitor cells into hepatocytes in the d-galactosamine model of liver regeneration. Am. J. Pathol. 143, 1606–1620. &
- 2004. Probing Prometheus: fat fueling the fire? Hepatology 40, 1252–1255.
- 1994. Liver regeneration. In The Liver: Biology and Pathobiology (eds I.Arias, J.Boyer & N. Fausto), pp. 1059–1084. Raven, Press, New York. &
- 2006. Liver regeneration. Hepatology 43, S45–S53. , &
- 2005. Mechanisms of liver regeneration and their clinical implications. J. Hepatobiliary Pancreat. Surg. 12, 181–189. &
- 2006. Caveolin-1 is essential for liver regeneration. Science 313, 628–632. , , et al.
- 1994. Small-for-size liver transplanted into larger recipient: a model of hepatic regeneration. Hepatology 19, 210–216. , , et al.
- 1998. SEK1 deficiency reveals mitogen-activated protein kinase cascade cross regulation and leads to abnormal hepatogenesis. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 95, 6881–6886. , , et al.
- 1931. Experimental pathology of the liver. I. Restoration of the liver of the white rat following partial surgical removal. Arch. Pathol. 12, 186–202. &
- 1993. c-Jun is essential for normal mouse development and hepatogenesis. Nature 365, 179–181. , , et al.
- 1980. Differentiation of the mouse hepatic primordium. I. An analysis of tissue interactions in hepatocyte differentiation. Cell Differ. 9, 269–279.
- 1993. A null mutation at the c-jun locus causes embryonic lethality and retarded cell growth in culture. Genes Dev. 7, 1309–1317. , , et al.
- 1999. Initiation of mammalian liver development from endoderm by fibroblast growth factors. Science 284, 1998–2003. , , et al.
- 1999. Fetal liver development requires a paracrine action of oncostatin M through the gp130 signal transducer. EMBO J. 18, 2127–2136. , , et al.
- 2003. Liver regeneration. J. Am. Coll. Surg. 197, 634–659. , , et al.
- 1975. An experimental analysis of liver development. Med. Biol. 53, 427–455.
- 1999. The IKKβ subunit of IκB kinase (IKK) is essential for NF-κB activation and prevention of apoptosis. J. Exp. Med. 189, 1839–1845. , , et al.
- 1999. Severe liver degeneration in mice lacking the IκB kinase 2 gene. Science 284, 321–325. , , et al.
- 2007. Regeneration potency of mouse limbs. Dev. Growth Differ. 49, 89–98. &
- 2005. Thinking outside the cell: proteases regulate hepatocyte division. Trends Cell Biol. 15, 555–563. &
- 1998. Sinusoidal intercellular adhesion molecule-1 up-regulation precedes the accumulation of leukocyte function antigen-1-positive cells and tissue necrosis in a model of carbontetrachloride-induced acute rat liver injury. Laboratory Invest. 78, 185–194. , , et al.
- 1997a. Stress-signalling kinase Sek1 protects thymocytes from apoptosis mediated by CD95 and CD3. Nature 385, 350–353. , , et al.
- 1997b. Impaired CD28-mediated interleukin 2 production and proliferation in stress kinase SAPK/ERK1 kinase (SEK1)/mitogen-activated protein kinase kinase4 (MKK4)-deficient T lymphocytes. J. Exp. Med. 186, 941–953. , , et al.
- 1999. Defective liver formation and liver cell apoptosis in mice lacking the stress signaling kinase SEK1/MKK4. Development 126, 505–516. , , et al.
- 1997. Serial transplantation reveals the stem-cell-like regenerative potential of adult mouse hepatocytes. Am. J. Pathol. 151, 1273–1280. , , et al.
- 2000. Severe liver degeneration and lack of NF-κB activation in NEMO/IKKγ-deficient mice. Genes Dev. 14, 854–862. , , et al.
- 1991. Cell lineages and oval cell progenitors in rat liver development. Cancer Res. 51, 2611–2620. , &
- 2004. Disruption of hepatic adipogenesis is associated with impaired liver regeneration in mice. Hepatology 40, 1322–1332. , , et al.
- 1999. Embryonic lethality, liver degeneration and impaired NF-κB activation in IKK-β-deficient mice. Immunity 10, 421–429. , , et al.
- 2002. Therapeutic angiogenesis for patients with limb ischaemia by autologous transplantation of bone-marrow cells: a pilot study and a randomized controlled trial. Lancet 360, 427–435. , , et al.
- 2004. Liver regeneration: from myth to mechanism. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 5, 836–847.
- 2006. Improved liver function in patients with liver cirrhosis after autologous bone marrow cell infusion therapy. Stem Cells 10, 2292–2298. , , et al.
- 2003. An in vivo model for monitoring trans-differentiation of bone marrow cells into functional hepatocytes. J. Biochem. 134, 551–558. , , et al.
- 1982. Transcriptional control of the murine albumin/alpha-fetoprotein locus during development. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 79, 5254–5257. &
- 2004. MKK7 couples stress signaling to G2/M cell cycle progression and cellular senescence. Nat. Cell Biol. 6, 215–226. , , et al.
- 2004. Mutations affecting liver development and function in Medaka, Oryzias latipes, screened by multiple criteria. Mech. Dev. 121, 791–802. , , et al.
- 2002. SEK1/MKK4-mediated SAPK/JNK signaling participates in embryonic hepatoblast proliferation via a pathway different from NF-κB-induced anti-apoptosis. Dev. Biol. 250, 332–347. , , et al.
- 1997. Targeted disruption of the MKK4 gene causes embryonic death, inhibition of c-Jun NH2-terminal kinase activation, and defects in AP-1 transcriptional activity. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94, 3004–3009. , , et al.
- 2000. Liver specification and early morphogenesis. Mech. Dev. 92, 83–88.
- 2005. Embryonic development of the liver. Hepatology 41, 956–967. &