A Wnt3a variant participates in chick apical ectodermal ridge formation: Distinct biological activities of Wnt3a splice variants in chick limb development
Version of Record online: 3 MAY 2007
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 49, Issue 6, pages 493–501, August 2007
How to Cite
Narita, T., Nishimatsu, S.-i., Wada, N. and Nohno, T. (2007), A Wnt3a variant participates in chick apical ectodermal ridge formation: Distinct biological activities of Wnt3a splice variants in chick limb development. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 49: 493–501. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2007.00938.x
- Issue online: 3 MAY 2007
- Version of Record online: 3 MAY 2007
- Received 28 February 2007; revised 4 April 2007; accepted 8 April 2007.
- 2003. Ectodermal Wnt3/β-catenin signaling is required for the establishment and maintenance of the apical ectodermal ridge. Genes Dev. 17, 394–409. , , et al .
- 2002. A Comprehensive Collection of Chicken cDNAs. Curr. Biol. 12, 1965–1969. , , et al .
- 1993. Spatially restricted expression of Dlx-1, Dlx-2 (Tes-1), Gbx-2, and Wnt-3 in the embryonic day 12.5 mouse forebrain defines potential transverse and longitudinal segmental boundaries. J. Neurosci. 13, 3155–3172. , , et al .
- 2004. Distinct Wnt members regulate the hierarchical morphogenesis of skin regions (spinal tract) and individual feathers. Mech. Dev. 121, 157–171. , , , , &
- 2000. Wnt-16a, a novel Wnt-16 isoform, which shows differential expression in adult human tissues. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 278, 814–820. , , &
- 2006. Expression patterns of Wnt genes during development of an anterior part of the chicken eye. Dev. Dyn. 235, 496–505. &
- 2004. A proliferative role for Wnt-3a in chick somites. Dev. Biol. 269, 489–504. , , et al .
- 2002. Hassles with taking out the garbage: aggravating aggresomes. Traffic. 3, 388–396. , &
- 2000. Dual roles of Wnt signaling during chondrogenesis in the chicken limb. Development 127, 3141–3159. &
- 1995. Wnt expression patterns in chick embryo nervous system. Mech. Dev. 52, 9–25. , &
- 2001. Acheiropodia is caused by a genomic deletion in C7orf2, the human orthologue of the Lmbr1 gene. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 68, 38–45. , , et al .
- 1996. Sonic hedgehog is expressed in epithelial cells during development of whisker, hair, and tooth. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 218, 688–693. , , et al .
- 1996. BMP signaling during bone pattern determination in the developing limb. Development 122, 3557–3566. , , et al .
- 2000. Involvement of frizzled-10 in Wnt-7a signaling during chick limb development. Dev. Growth Differ. 42, 561–569. , , &
- 2001. WNT signals control FGF-dependent limb initiation and AER induction in the chick embryo. Cell 104, 891–900. , , , , &
- 1997. Expression of Wnt and Frizzled genes during chick limb bud development. Cold Spring Harb. Symp Quant. Biol. 62, 421–429. , &
- 1998. Distinct WNT pathways regulating AER formation and dorsoventral polarity in the chick limb bud. Science 280, 1274–1277. , , et al .
- 1997. Constitutive transcriptional activation by a β-catenin-Tcf complex in APC-/- colon carcinoma. Science 275, 1784–1787. , , et al .
- 1999. Requirement for Wnt3 in vertebrate axis formation. Nat. Genet. 22, 361–365. , , , , &
- 2005. Wnt10a is involved in AER formation during chick limb development. Dev. Dyn. 233, 282–287. , , et al .
- 2004. Homozygous WNT3 mutation causes tetra-amelia in a large consanguineous family. Am. J. Hum. Genet. 74, 558–563. , , et al .
- 2002. The snail superfamily of zinc-finger transcription factors. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 3, 155–166.
- 1988. The int genes in mammary tumorigenesis and in normal development. Trends Genet. 4, 291–295.
- 1997. A chick wingless mutation causes abnormality in maintenance of Fgf8 expression in the wing apical ridge, resulting in loss of the dorsoventral boundary. Mech. Dev. 62, 3–13. , , et al .
- 1997. Polyamine-dependent alterations in the structure of microfilaments, Golgi apparatus, endoplasmic reticulum, and proteoglycan synthesis in BHK cells. J. Cell Biochem. 66, 165–174. , , et al .
- 1993. Mouse Wnt genes exhibit discrete domains of expression in the early embryonic CNS and limb buds. Development 119, 247–261. , , &
- 2004. Sonic hedgehog patterning in chick neural plate is antagonized by a Wnt3-like signal. Dev. Dyn. 229, 510–519. , &
- 1991. Expression of two members of the Wnt family during mouse development – restricted temporal and spatial patterns in the developing neural tube. Genes Dev. 5, 381–388. &
- 1990. Wnt-3, a gene activated by proviral insertion in mouse mammary tumors, is homologous to int-1/Wnt-1 and is normally expressed in mouse embryos and adult brain. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 87, 4519–4523. , , &
- 2004. Phylogenetic conservation of a limb-specific, cis-acting regulator of Sonic hedgehog (Shh). Mamm. Genome. 15, 23–34. , , et al .
- 2005. Elimination of a long-range cis-regulatory module causes complete loss of limb-specific Shh expression and truncation of the mouse limb. Development 132, 797–803. , , , &
- 1992. Regional expression of the Wnt-3 gene in the developing mouse forebrain in relationship to diencephalic neuromeres. Mech. Dev. 39, 151–160. &
- 1998. Conserved and divergent roles for members of the Snail family of transcription factors in the chick and mouse embryo. Development 125, 3111–3121. , &
- 1997. Transformation by Wnt family proteins correlates with regulation of beta-catenin. Cell Growth Differ. 8, 1349–1358. , , , , &
- 1992. Diversification of the Wnt gene family on the ancestral linage of vertebrates. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 89, 5098–5102.
- 2003. Forced activation of Wnt signaling alters morphogenesis and sensory organ identity in the chicken inner ear. Dev. Biol. 261, 149–164. , , , &
- 1994. Wnt-3a regulates somite and tailbud formation in the mouse embryo. Genes. Dev. 8, 174–189. , , , , &
- 1999. Sonic hedgehog signaling during digit pattern duplication after application of recombinant protein and expressing cells. Dev. Growth Differ. 41, 567–574. , &