Requirement for ErbB2/ErbB signaling in developing cartilage and bone
Version of Record online: 7 JUN 2007
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 49, Issue 6, pages 503–513, August 2007
How to Cite
Fisher, M. C., Clinton, G. M., Maihle, N. J. and Dealy, C. N. (2007), Requirement for ErbB2/ErbB signaling in developing cartilage and bone. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 49: 503–513. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2007.00941.x
- Issue online: 7 JUN 2007
- Version of Record online: 7 JUN 2007
- Received 28 February 2007; revised 9 April 2007; accepted 17 April 2007.
- 2005. Osteo-chondroprogenitor cells are derived from sox9 expressing precursors. PNAS 102, 14 665–14 670. , , et al .
- 1992. Cloning of the human and mouse type x collagen genes and mapping of the mouse type x collagen gene to chromosome 10. Eur. J. Biochem. 206, 217–224. , , &
- 2001. Expression of herstatin, an autoinhibitor of Her-2/neu, inhibits transactivation of HER-3 by HER-2 and blocks EGF activation of the EGF receptor. Oncogene 20, 5199–5209. , , , &
- 1989. Inhibition of tyrosine kinase activity of the epidermal growth factor (EGF) receptor by a truncated receptor form that binds EGF: role of interreceptor interaction in kinase regulation. Mol. Cell Biol. 9, 671–677. , , &
- 2003. Crosstalk between the extracellular domain of the ErbB2 receptor and IGF-I receptor signaling. J. Steroid Biochem. Mol. Biol. 85, 105–115. , , &
- 2000. Expression of epidermal growth factor in transgenic mice causes growth retardation. J. Biol. Chem. 275, 38 693–38 698. &
- 2000. Down-regulation of osteoblastic cell differentiation by epidermal growth factor receptor. Calcif. Tissue Int. 67, 141–150. , &
- 2003. The deaf and the dumb: the biology of ErbB2 and ErbB3. Exp. Cell Res. 284, 54–65. , &
- 2006. EGF-ErbB signaling towards the systems level. Nat Rev. Mol Cell Biol. 7, 505–516. &
- 1998. Mineralization and the expression of matrix proteins during in vivo bone development. Calcif. Tissue Int. 62, 74–82. , , , &
- 2001. Regulatory mechanisms in the pathways of cartilage and bone formation. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 13, 721–727. , &
- 1995. EGF receptor expression in mineralized tissues: an in situ hybridization and immunocytochemical investigation in rat and human mandibles. Connect. Tissue Res. 32, 47–53. , , &
- 1999. The HER-2/neu receptor tyrosine kinase gene encodes a secreted autoinhibitor. PNAS 96, 10 869–10 874. , , , &
- 2005. Role of IGF-I, IGF-II and IGFBP-2 in long bone growth. Bone 37, 741–750. , , &
- 1992. An alternatively processed mRNA from the avian cerbB gene encodes a soluble, truncated form of the receptor that can block ligand dependent transformation. Mol. Cell. Biol. 12, 883–893. , &
- 2003. The crystal structure of a truncated ErbB2 ectodomain reveals an active conformation, poised to interact with other ErbB receptors. Mol. Cell 11, 495–505. , , et al .
- 1997. ErbB-2, the preferred heterodimerization parameter of all erbB receptors, is a mediator of lateral signaling. FEBS Lett. 410, 83–86. , , &
- 2002. Epidermal growth factor-induced activation of the insulin-like growth factor receptor in rat hepatocytes. Hepatology 36, 1509–1518. , , et al .
- 2005a. Reorganization of ErbB family and cell survival signaling after knock-down of ErbB2 in colon cancer cells. J. Biol. Chem. 280, 27 383–27 392. , , et al .
- 2005b. In vivo identification of the interaction site of ErbB2 extracellular domain with its autoinhibitor. J. Cell Phys. 205, 335–343. , , et al .
- 2006. Sequestering ErbB2 in endoplasmic reticulum by its autoinhibitor from translocation to cell surface: an autoinhibition mechanism of ErbB2 expression. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 342, 19–27. , , et al .
- 1995. Possible role of variant RNA transcripts in the regulation of epidermal growth factor receptor expression in human placenta. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 41, 149–156. , &
- 2001. Formation of the sphenomandibular ligament by Meckel's cartilage in the mouse: possible involvement of epidermal growth factor as revealed by studies in vivo and in vitro. Cell Tissue Res. 304, 67–80. , &
- 2003. Herstatin inhibits heregulin-mediated breast cancer cell growth and overcomes tamoxifen resistance in breast cancer cells that overexpress HER-2. Oncogene 22, 8178–8186. , , , &
- 2003. Epidermal growth factor receptor: mechanisms of activation and signaling. Exp. Cell Res. 284, 31–53. , , , , &
- 2002. Herstatin, an autoinhibitor of the human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 tyrosine kinase, modulates epidermal growth factor signaling pathways resulting in growth arrest. J. Biol. Chem. 277, 20 618–20 624. &
- 1993. c-erbb3 gene encodes secreted as well as transmembrane receptor tyrosine kinase. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 192, 1189–1197. , , &
- 2003. Developmental regulation of the growth plate. Nature 423, 332–336.
- 2001. A naturally occurring secreted human ErbB3 receptor isoform inhibits heregulin-stimulated activation of ErbB2, ErbB3, and ErbB4. Cancer Res. 61, 4467–4473. , , &
- 1998. Isolation and characterization of four alternate c-erbB3 transcripts expressed in ovarian carcinoma derived cell liens and normal human tissues. Oncogene 16, 3243–3252. &
- 1992. Type X collagen is transcriptionally activated and specifically localized during sternal cartilage maturation. Matrix 12, 404–413. , , &
- 2002. Differential in vitro response to epidermal growth factor by prenatal murine cranial-base chondrocytes. Arch. Oral Biol. 47, 155–163. &
- 1991. Native avian c-erbB gene expresses a secreted protein product corresponding to the ligand binding domain of the receptor. PNAS 88, 1825–1829. , , , &
- 2000. Identification of a Prx1 limb enhancer. Genesis. 26, 225–229. &
- 1999. Rescue of the cardiac defect in ErbB2 mutant mice reveals essential roles of ErbB2 in peripheral nervous system development. Neuron 23, 273–283. , , , , &
- 2004. Wnt signaling via the epidermal growth factor receptor: a role in breast cancer? Breast Cancer Res. 6, 65–68.
- 2002. Tyrosine kinase type- receptor ErbB4 in chondrocytes: interaction with connective tissue growth factor and distribution in cartilage. FEBS Lett. 528, 109–113. , , et al .
- 1983. Stimulation of DNA synthesis by epidermal growth factor in osteoblast-like cells. Calcif. Tissue Int. 35, 624–628. , , &
- 1998. ErbB-1 and ErbB-2 acquire distinct signaling properties dependent upon their dimerization partner. Mol. Cell Biol. 18, 5042–5051. , , , , &
- 2000. The ErbB signaling network: receptor heterodimerization in development and cancer. EMBO J. 19, 3159–3167. , , &
- 2000. Bone development. Ann. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol. 16, 191–220. , &
- 2005. Studies on epidermal growth factor receptor signaling in vertebrate limb patterning. Dev. Dyn. 233, 288–300. , , &
- 1990. A truncated, secreted form of the epidermal growth factor receptor is encoded by an alternatively spliced transcript in normal rat tissue. Mol. Cell Biol. 10, 2973–2982. , , , , &
- 2001. The epidermal growth factor receptor family as a central element for cellular signal transduction and diversification. Endo. Rel. Cancer 8, 11–31. , , , &
- 2005. ErbB1 and ErbB4 receptors act in concert to facilitate female sexual development and mature reproductive function. Endocrinology 146, 1465–1472. , , &
- 2005. Molecular mechanisms of endochondral bone development. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Comm. 328, 658–665. &
- 2005. Amphiregulin is a novel growth factor involved in normal bone development and in the cellular response to parathyroid hormone stimulation. J. Biol. Chem. 280, 3974–3981. , , et al .
- 2005. Conditional deletion of Indian hedgehog from collagen type 2 alpha1-expressing cells results in abnormal endochondral bone formation. J. Pathol. 207, 453–461. , , , &
- 1996. A 1.8 kb alternative transcript from the human epidermal growth factor receptor gene encodes a truncated from of the receptor. Nucl. Acids Res. 24, 4050–4056. &
- 2003. Characterization and expression of novel 60 kDa and 110-kDa EGFR isoforms in human placenta. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 995, 39–47. &
- 2001. Comparative genomic sequence analysis and isolation of human and mouse alternative EGFR transcripts encoding truncated receptor isoforms. Genomics 71, 1–20. , , et al .
- 1997. Mitogenic and metabolic actions of epidermal growth factor on rat articular chondrocytes: modulation by fetal calf serum, transforming growth factor-beta and tyrphostin. Arch. Biochem. Biophys. 337, 149–158. , , , , &
- 1991. Gene expression in osteoblastic cells. Crit. Rev. Eukaryot Gene Expr. 1, 85–98. &
- 2004. Common and distinct elements in cellular signaling by EGF and FGF receptors. Science 306, 1506–1507.
- 1993. A truncated intracellular HER2/neu receptor produced by alternative RNA processing affects growth of human carcinoma cells. Mol. Cell Biol. 13, 2247–2257. , , et al .
- 2004. Receptor binding specificities of Herstatin and its intron 8-encoded domain. FEBS Lett. 568, 163–166. , , &
- 2003. Mice humanised for the EGF receptor display hypomorphic phenotypes in skin, bone and heart. Development 130, 4515–4525. , , et al .
- 2005. Herstatin, an autoinhibitor of the epidermal growth factor (EGF) receptor family, blocks the intracranial growth of glioblastoma. Clin. Cancer Res. 11, 335–340. , , , , &
- 2006. Blockbuster dreams. Sci. Am. 294, 60–63.
- 1999. Indian Hedgehog signaling regulates proliferation and differentiation of chondrocytes and is essential for bone formation. Genes Dev. 13, 2072–2086. , &
- 1996. Differential expression of the full length and truncated forms of the epidermal growth factor receptor in the preimplantation mouse uterus and blastocyst. Endocrinol. 137, 1492–1496. , , , &
- 2006. Intersection of signal transduction pathways and development. Ann. Rev. Genet. 40, 139–157. &
- 2001. Genetic control of skeletal development. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 11, 527–532. &
- 2004a. Function of BMPs in the apical ectodermal of the developing mouse limb. Dev. Biol. 269, 109–122. , , et al .
- 2004b. Epidermal growth factor receptor-deficient mice have delayed primary endochondral ossification because of defective osteoclast recruitment. J. Biol. Chem. 279, 53 848–53 856. , , , &
- 1999. Perpheral nervous system defects in Erbb2 mutants following genetic rescue of heart development. Genes Dev. 13, 2538–2548. , , et al .
- 2003. Transgenic and knock-out mice for deciphering roles of EGFR ligands. Cell Mol. Life Sci. 60, 113–118.
- 2001. Lack of effects of transforming growth factor-α gene knockout on peripheral nerve regeneration may result from compensatory mechanisms. Exp. Neurol. 172, 182–188. , , , &
- 2001. Untangling the ErbB signaling network. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2, 127–137. &
- 1994. Murine bone sialoprotein (BSP): cDNA cloning, mRNA expression, and genetic mapping. Mamm. Genom. 5, 108–111. , , , &