Characterization and categorization of fluorescence activated cell sorted planarian stem cells by ultrastructural analysis
Article first published online: 24 JUN 2007
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 49, Issue 7, pages 571–581, September 2007
How to Cite
Higuchi, S., Hayashi, T., Hori, I., Shibata, N., Sakamoto, H. and Agata, K. (2007), Characterization and categorization of fluorescence activated cell sorted planarian stem cells by ultrastructural analysis. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 49: 571–581. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2007.00947.x
- Issue published online: 24 JUN 2007
- Article first published online: 24 JUN 2007
- Received 20 March 2007; revised 11 May 2007; accepted 12 May 2007.
- 2003. Regeneration and gene regulation in planarians. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 13, 492–496.
- 1999. Molecular and cellular aspects of planarian regeneration. Semin. Cell Dev. Biol. 10, 377–383. &
- 2007. Unifying principles of regeneration I: Epimorphosis versus morphallaxis. Dev. Growth Differ. 49, 73–78. , &
- 2002. Cultivation and characterization of planarian neuronal cells isolated by fluorescence activated cell sorting (FACS). Zool. Sci. 19, 1257–1265. , , , , &
- 1993. Ultrastructural-localization of RNA in the chromatoid bodies of undifferentiated cells (neoblasts) in planarians by the RNase gold complex technique. J. Morph. 216, 319–326. , &
- 2006. A Bruno-like gene is required for stem cell maintenance in planarians. Dev. Cell 11, 159–169. , &
- 1975. Fine structure studies on the planarian, Dugesia. I. Nature of the ‘neoblast’ and other cell types in noninjured worms. J. Ultrastruct. Res. 50, 1–21. &
- 2006. Isolation of planarian X-ray-sensitive stem cells by fluorescence-activated cell sorting. Dev. Growth Differ. 48, 371–380. , , , &
- 1982. An ultrastructural-study of the chromatoid body in planarian regenerative cells. J. Electron. Microsco. 31, 63–72.
- 1983. Ultrastructural variation of rough endoplasmic reticulum-relation to the types of planarian regenerative cells. J. Submicrosc. Cytol. Pathol. 15, 975–989.
- 1992a. Cytological approach to morphogenesis in the planarian blastema. 1. Cell behavior during blastema formation. J. Submicroscopic. Cytol. Pathol. 24, 75–84.
- 1992b. Localization of laminin in the subepidermal basal lamina of the planarian. Dugesia-Japonica. Biol. Bull. 183, 78–83.
- 1997. Cytological approach to morphogenesis in the planarian blastema. II. The effect of neuropeptides. J. Submicrosc. Cytol. Pathol. 29, 91–97.
- 2003. Quantitative changes in nuclear pores and chromatoid bodies induced by neuropeptides during cell differentiation in the planarian Dugesia japonica. J. Submicrosc. Cytol. Pathol. 35, 439–444. &
- 2001. Epimorphic regeneration of the distal part of the planarian pharynx. Dev. Genes Evol. 211, 2–9. , , &
- 1984. Electron microscopic studies of planarian regeneration. Cell division of neoblasts in Dugesia dorotocephala. J. Exp. Zool. 229, 425–436. &
- 1969. Electron microscopic studies of planarian regeneration. I. Fine structure of neoblasts in Dugesia dorotocephala. J. Ultrastruct. Res. 27, 7–23. , &
- 2000. Bromodeoxyuridine specifically labels the regenerative stem cells of planarians. Dev. Biol. 220, 142–153. &
- 2002. Planarian fibroblast growth factor receptor homologs expressed in stem cells and cephalic ganglions. Dev. Growth Differ. 44, 191–204. , , , , &
- 1999. The planarian HOM/HOX homeobox genes (Plox) expressed along the anteroposterior axis. Dev Biol. 210, 456–468. , , , , &
- 2004. Fundamentals of planarian regeneration. Annu. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol. 20, 725–757. &
- 2005. SMEDWI-2 is a PIWI-like protein that regulates planarian stem cells. Science 310, 1327–1330. , , , &
- 2006. DjPiwi-1, a member of the PAZ-Piwi gene family, defines a subpopulation of planarian stem cells. Dev. Genes Evol. 216, 335–346. , , et al .
- 2000. An MCM2-related gene is expressed in proliferating cells of intact and regenerating planarians. Dev. Dyn. 218, 603–614. , , &
- 2005. DjPum, a homologue of Drosophila Pumilio, is essential to planarian stem cell maintenance. Development 132, 1863–1874. , , et al .
- 2006. Identification and origin of the germline stem cells as revealed by the expression of nanos-related gene in planarians. Dev. Growth Differ. 48, 615–628. , , et al .
- 1999. Expression of vasa (vas)-related genes in germline cells and totipotent somatic stem cells of planarians. Dev. Biol. 206, 73–87. , , , , &
- 1948. Suy la migration des cellules de régénération chez les planaires. Rev. Suisse. Zool. 55, 218–227. &