Signaling pathways in ascidian oocyte maturation: The role of cyclic AMP and follicle cells in germinal vesicle breakdown
Version of Record online: 27 FEB 2008
© 2008 The Author
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 50, Issue 3, pages 181–188, April 2008
How to Cite
Lambert, C. C. (2008), Signaling pathways in ascidian oocyte maturation: The role of cyclic AMP and follicle cells in germinal vesicle breakdown. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 50: 181–188. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2008.00983.x
- Issue online: 3 MAR 2008
- Version of Record online: 27 FEB 2008
- Received 18 October 2007; revised 19 November 2007; accepted 27 November 2007.
- 1998. Developmental roles of nuclear complex factors released during oocyte maturation in the ascidians Halocynthia roretzi and Boltenia villosa. Zool. Sci. 15, 69–76. &
- 1996. Sequential dephosphorylation of p34cdc2 on Thr-14 and Tyr-15 at the prophase/metaphase transition. J. Biol. Chem. 271, 27 847–27 854. &
- 1999. Intra-M phase-promoting factor phosphorylation of cyclin B at the prophase/metaphase transition. J. Biol. Chem. 274, 11 977–11 986. , , &
- 1997. Urochordata: Ascidiacea. In Microscopic Anatomy of Invertebrates (eds F. W.Harrison & E. E.Ruppert), pp. 221–347. Wiley-Liss Inc., New York. &
- 1999. Meiosis activating sterols (MAS) and fertility in mammals and man. J. Exp. Zool. 285, 237–242. , , &
- 2006. Ca2+ and Na+ current patterns during oocyte maturation, fertilization, and early developmental stages of Ciona intestinalis. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 75, 501–511. , , &
- 2003. Occurrence and neuroendocrine role of d-aspartic acid and N-methyl-D-aspartic acid in Ciona intestinalis. FEBS Lett. 552, 193–198. , , et al .
- 1988. Intracellular signal transduction and amplification mechanisms in the regulation of oocyte maturation. Biol. Bull. 174, 95–108.
- 1997. MAP and cdc2 kinase activities at germinal vesicle breakdown in Chaetopterus. Dev. Biol. 191, 182–190.
- 1988. The role of cAMP in oocyte maturation and the role of the germinal vesicle contents in mediating maturation and subsequent developmental events in hydrozoans. Roux Arch. Dev. Biol. 197, 197–211. &
- 1983. Self and non-self recognition between gametes of the ascidian, Halocynthia roretzi. Roux Arch. Dev. Biol. 192, 347–352.
- 1995. Induction of Xenopus oocyte meiotic maturation by MAP kinase. Dev. Biol. 168, 677–682. , , , &
- 1941. An outline of the development of Cynthia roretzi Drasche. Sci. Rep. Tohoku Imp. Univ., Biol. 16, 257–261.
- 1976. On the role of calcium ions in oocyte maturation of the polychaete Chaetopterus pergametaceus. Dev. Growth Differ. 18, 33–44. , &
- 1999. Activation of MPF at meiosis re-initiation in starfish oocytes. Dev. Biol. 214, 1–8.
- 2000. Germ-cell warfare in ascidians: sperm from one species can interfere with the fertilization of a second species. Biol. Bull. 198, 22–25.
- 2005. Signaling pathways in ascidian oocyte maturation: effects of various inhibitors and activators on germinal vesicle breakdown. Dev. Growth Differ. 47, 265–272.
- 1997. Ascidian eggs block polyspermy by two independent mechanisms: one at the plasma membrane, the other involving the follicle cells. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 48, 137–143. , , , &
- 2002. Sperm surface proteases in ascidian fertilization. J. Exp. Zool. 292, 88–95. , &
- 2002. Identification of a potent and selective pharmacophore for Cdc25 dual specificity phosphatase inhibitors. Mol. Pharmacol. 61, 720–728. , , et al .
- 1999. Follicle cell proteasome activity and acid extract from the egg vitelline coat prompt the onset of self-sterility in Ciona intestinalis oocytes. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 96, 9633–9636. , , &
- 2001. Oocyte maturation and self-sterility by treatment with ovary extracts of the ascidian, Halocynthia roretzi. In The Biology of Ascidians (eds H.Sawada, H.Yokosawa & C. C.Lambert), pp. 117–124. Springer-Verlag, Tokyo.
- 1977. Initiation of meiotic maturation by specific proteases in oocytes of the polychaete annelid Sabellaria alveolata. Exp. Cell Res. 106, 1–14.
- 2006. Establishment of animal-vegetal polarity during maturation in ascidian oocytes. Dev. Biol. 290, 297–311. , &
- 1998. Components of the signaling pathway linking the 1-methyl adenine receptor to MPF activation and maturation in starfish oocytes. Dev. Biol. 197, 25–38. &
- 1991. Possible MIS production by follicle cells in spontaneous oocyte maturation of the ascidian, Halocynthia roretzi. Dev. Growth Differ. 33, 155–162. &
- 1994. Developmental Biology of Ascidians. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- 1989. Effects of cytoskeletal inhibitors on ooplasmic segregation and microtubule organization during fertilization and early development in the ascidian Molgula occidentalis. Dev. Biol. 132, 331–342. &
- 2005. Endocrinology of protochordates. Can. J. Zool. 83, 225–255. , &
- 2005. Comparison of the serotonergic nervous system among Tunicata: implications for its evolution within Chordata. Org. Divers. Evol. 5, 15–24.
- 1864. Description of new species of marine Invertebrata from Puget Sound, collected by the naturalists of the North-west Boundary Commission. Proc. Acad. Nat. Sci. Philadelphia 16, 153–161.
- 2001. 5-HT causes an increase in cAMP that stimulates, rather than inhibits, oocyte maturation in marine nemertean worms. Development 128, 1415–1427. &
- 2006a. Differing mechanisms of cAMP-versus seawater-induced oocyte maturation in marine nemertean worms. I. The roles of serine/threonine kinase and phosphatases. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 73, 1578–1590. &
- 2006b. Differing mechanisms of cAMP-versus seawater-induced oocyte maturation in marine nemertean worms. II. The roles of tyrosine kinases and phosphatases. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 73, 1564–1577. &
- 2006. Increase in intracellular cAMP is a prerequisite signal for initiation of physiological oocyte meiotic maturation in the hydrozoan Cytaeis uchidae. Dev. Biol. 298, 248–258. , &
- 1995. Pre-MPF is absent in immature oocytes of fishes and amphibians except Xenopus. Dev. Growth Differ. 37, 387–393. &
- 1988. Involvement of cAMP in initiating maturation of the brittle star Amphipholis kochii oocytes: induction of oocyte maturation by inhibitors of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterases and activators of adenylate cyclase. Dev. Biol. 125, 109–114.
- 1998. Molecular mechanisms of meiotic maturation and arrest in fish and amphibian oocytes. Seminars Cell Dev. Biol. 9, 569–579.
- 2000. Molecular mechanisms of the initiation of oocyte maturation: general and species-specific aspects. Prog. Cell Cycle Res. 4, 115–129. , , &
- 2002. Increase of cAMP upon release from prophase arrest in surf clam oocytes. J. Cell Sci. 115, 311–320. , , , &
- 1989. Phorbol ester induces elevation of the vitelline coat of eggs of the ascidian Halocynthia roretzi. Dev. Growth Differ. 31, 543–548. , , &