These authors contributed equally to this work (Hiroko Matsui and Masahide Sakabe).
Induction of initial heart α-actin, smooth muscle α-actin, in chick pregastrula epiblast: The role of hypoblast and fibroblast growth factor-8
Article first published online: 27 FEB 2008
© 2008 The Authors
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 50, Issue 3, pages 143–157, April 2008
How to Cite
Matsui, H., Sakabe, M., Sakata, H., Yanagawa, N., Ikeda, K., Yamagishi, T. and Nakajima, Y. (2008), Induction of initial heart α-actin, smooth muscle α-actin, in chick pregastrula epiblast: The role of hypoblast and fibroblast growth factor-8. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 50: 143–157. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2008.00987.x
- Issue published online: 3 MAR 2008
- Article first published online: 27 FEB 2008
- Received 8 September 2007; revised 13 December 2007; accepted 17 December 2007.
- 2000. Endodermal Nodal-related signals and mesoderm induction in Xenopus. Development 127, 1173–1183. , , , &
- 2002. Regulation of avian cardiogenesis by Fgf8 signaling. Development 129, 1935–1943. &
- 1994. Precardiac mesoderm is specified during gastrulation in quail. Dev. Dyn. 200, 144–154. , &
- 2002. Precocious expression of cardiac troponin T in early chick embryos is independent of bone morphogenetic protein signaling. Dev. Dyn. 225, 135–141. , , , , &
- 1996. A novel mesoderm inducer, Madr2, functions in the activin signal transduction pathway. Genes Dev. 10, 1880–1889. &
- 2004. Determination of embryonic polarity in a regulative system: evidence for endogenous inhibitors acting sequentially during primitive streak formation in the chick embryo. Development 131, 3381–3390. , , ,
- 2003. Heart development: molecular insight into cardiac specification and early morphogenesis. Dev. Biol. 258, 1–19.
- 1999. MEKK-1, a component of the stress (stress-activated protein kinase/c-Jun N-terminal kinase) pathway, can selectively activate Smad2-mediated transcriptional activation in endothelial cells. J. Biol. Chem. 274, 8797–8805. , , , &
- 2002. Analysis of spatial and temporal gene expression patterns in blastula and gastrula stage chick embryo. Dev. Biol. 245, 187–199. , , &
- 2000. The lefty-related factor Xatv acts as a feedback inhibitor of Nodal signaling in mesoderm induction and L-R. axis development in Xenopus. Development 127, 1049–1061. , , &
- 1994. A primary requirement for nodal in the formation and maintenance of the primitive streak in the mouse. Development 120, 1919–1928. , , et al .
- 2007. Integration of TGF-β and Ras/MAPK signaling through p53 phosphorylation. Science 315, 840–843. , , et al .
- 1994. Activin-mediated mesoderm induction requires FGF. Development 120, 435–462. &
- 1998. Smad2 transduces common signals from receptor serine-threonine and tyrosine kinases. Genes Dev. 12, 1587–1592. , , et al .
- 2004. Combinatorial activities of Smad2 and Smad3 regulate mesoderm formation and patterning in the mouse embryo. Development 131, 1717–1728. , , , &
- 1999. Interdependent Smad and JNK signaling in transforming growth factor-β-mediated transcription. J. Biol. Chem. 274, 37 413–37 420. , , &
- 1976. From cleavage to primitive streak formation: a complementary normal table and a new look at the first stage of the development of the chick. I. General morphology. Dev. Biol. 49, 321–337. &
- 2002. Endogenous patterns of BMP signaling during early chick development. Dev. Biol. 244, 44–65. , , &
- 2005. Specificity and versatility in TGF-β signaling through Smads. Ann. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol. 21, 659–693. &
- 2006. FGF8 spliceforms mediate early mesoderm and posterior neural tissue formation in Xenopus. Development 133, 1703–1714. , &
- 1993. Primitive-streak origin of the cardiovascular system in avian embryos. Dev. Biol. 159, 706–719. &
- 2004. Retinoic acid-dependent regulation of BMP4 and Tbx5 in the embryonic chick retina. Neuroreport 15, 2751–2755. , &
- 1995. Involvement of the MAP kinase cascade in Xenopus mesoderm induction. EMBO J. 14, 2491–2498. , , , &
- 2007. Distinct functions of the major Fgf8 spliceform, Fgf8b, before and during mouse gastrulation. Development 134, 2251–2260. &
- 1994. A fate map of the epiblast of the early chick embryo. Development 120, 2879–2889. &
- 2006. Genomic organization, alternative splicing, and multiple regulatory regions of the zebrafish fgf8 gene. Dev. Growth Differ. 48, 447–462. , , et al .
- 2005. Crosstalk mechanisms between the mitogen-activated protein kinase pathways and Smad signaling downstream of TGF-β: implications for carcinogenesis. Oncogene 24, 5742–5750. &
- 2002. Comparison of the expression patterns of several fibroblast growth factors during chick gastrulation and neurulation. Anat. Embryol. 205, 365–370. , , &
- 1987. Synergistic induction of mesoderm by FGF and TGF-β and the identification of an mRNA coding for FGF in the early Xenopus embryo. Cell 51, 869–877. &
- 2002. Inhibition of BMP activity by the FGF signal promotes posterior neural development in zebrafish. Dev. Biol. 244, 9–20. , , et al .
- 1997. Opposing BMP and EGF signalling pathways converge on the TGF- family mediator Smad1. Nature 389, 618–622. , &
- 1999. A mechanism of repression of TGF-β/Smad signaling by oncogenic Ras. Genes Dev. 13, 804–816. , , &
- 1994. Mesoderm induction by activin requires FGF-mediated intracellular signals. Development 120, 463–472. &
- 1998. Regulation of avian cardiac myogenesis by Activin/TGFβ and bone morphogenetic proteins. Dev. Biol. 204, 407–419. , &
- 2001. Classification scheme for genes expressed during formation and progression of the avian primitive streak. Anat. Rec. 262, 221–226. , &
- 1995. A molecular pathway determining left-right asymmetry in chick embryogenesis. Cell 82, 803–814. , , , &
- 2000. Endoderm and heart development. Dev. Dyn. 217, 372–342. &
- 1996. Combined BMP-2 and FGF-4, but neither factor alone, induces cardiogenesis in non-precardiac embryonic mesoderm. Dev. Biol. 178, 198–202. , , , , &
- 1995. FGF-8 isoforms activate receptor splice forms that are expressed in mesenchymal regions of mouse development. Development 121, 3603–3613. , , et al .
- 2005. Temporal analysis of the early BMP functions identifies distinct anti-organizer and mesoderm patterning phases. Dev. Biol. 282, 442–452. , , &
- 2004. Nodal and Fgf pathways interact through a positive regulatory loop and synergize to maintain mesodermal cell populations. Development 131, 629–641. , , et al .
- 2005. Induction of initial cardiomyocyte α-actin – smooth muscle α-actin: cultured avian pregastrula epiblast: a role for nodal and BMP antagonist. Dev. Dyn. 233, 1419–1429. , , et al .
- 1997. Structures of the tyrosine kinase domain of fibroblast growth factor receptor in complex with inhibitors. Science 276, 955–960. , , et al .
- 1999. Convergent inductive signals specify midbrain, hindbrain, and spinal cord identity in gastrula stage chick embryos. Neuron 23, 689–702. , , , &
- 2002. Significance of bone morphogenetic protein-4 function in the initial myofibrillogenesis of chick cardiogenesis. Dev. Biol. 245, 291–303. , , &
- 1996. In situ hybridization analysis of chick embryos in whole mount and tissue sections. In Methods in Cell Biology (ed. M.Bronner-Fraser), pp. 220–235. Academic Press, San Diego. , &
- 1998. Smad2 role in mesoderm formation, left–right patterning and craniofacial development. Nature 393, 786–790. &
- 1963. Influence of the endoderm on heart differentiation during stages of development of the chicken embryo. Roux Arch. Ent. Mech. Org. 154, 5333–5551.
- 2003. Integration of IGF, FGF, and anti-BMP signals via Smad1 phosphorylation in neural induction. Genes Dev. 17, 3023–3028. , , &
- 2003. The Fgf8 signal causes cerebellar differentiation by activating the Ras-ERK signaling pathway. Development 131, 4275–4285. &
- 2001. Inductive signal and tissue responsiveness defining the tectum and the cerebellum. Development 128, 2461–2469. , &
- 1995. Induction of avian cardiac myogenesis by anterior endoderm. Development 121, 4203–4214. , &
- 1997. A role for bone morphogenetic proteins in the induction of cardiac myogenesis. Genes Dev. 11, 451–462. , &
- 2005. FGF signal interpretation is directed by sprouty and spred proteins during mesoderm formation. Dev. Cell 8, 689–701. , &
- 1987. Mesoderm induction in early Xenopus embryos by heparin-binding growth factors. Nature 326, 197–200. , , &
- 2004. Gastrulation: From Cells to Embryo. Cold Spring Harbor, New York.
- 1999. Establishment and maintenance of the border of the neural plate in the chick: involvement of FGF and BMP activity. Mech. Dev. 82, 51–66. &
- 1998. Chordin regulates primitive streak development and the stability of induced neural cells, but is not sufficient for neural induction in the chick embryo. Development 125, 507–519. , , , , &
- 2000. Initiation of neural induction by FGF signalling before gastrulation. Nature 406, 74–78. , , , &
- 1992. Onset of expression and regional deposition of alpha-smooth and sarcomeric actin during avian heart development. Dev. Dyn. 193, 116–124. &
- 1999. Targeted disruption of Fgf8 causes failure of cell migration in the gastrulating mouse embryo. Genes Dev. 13, 1834–1846. , , &
- 1995. Mesoderm induction in Xenopus caused by activation of MAP kinase. Nature 376, 58–62. , , , &
- 2000. Expression of chick Tbx-2, Tbx-3, and Tbx-5 genes during early heart development: evidence for BMP2 induction of Tbx2. Dev. Biol. 228, 95–105. , , , &
- 1999. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 acts synergistically with transforming growth factor-β3 during endothelial- mesenchymal transformation in the developing chick heart. J. Cell Physiol. 180, 35–45. , , &
- 1994. fgfr-1 is required for embryonic growth and mesodermal patterning during mouse gastrulation. Genes Dev. 8, 3032–3044. , , &
- 2003. Extracellular signal-regulated kinase 2 is necessary for mesoderm differentiation. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100, 12 759–12 764. , , et al .
- 1997. Induction of cardiac myogenesis in avian pregastrula epiblast: the role of the hypoblast and activin. Development 124, 2561–2570. , &