Roles of Hes genes in neural development
Version of Record online: 22 APR 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Special Issue: Special ISSUE for the 50th Volume: History and Current Highlights of Developmental Biology
Volume 50, Issue Supplement s1, pages S97–S103, June 2008
How to Cite
Kageyama, R., Ohtsuka, T. and Kobayashi, T. (2008), Roles of Hes genes in neural development. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 50: S97–S103. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2008.00993.x
- Issue online: 22 APR 2008
- Version of Record online: 22 APR 2008
- Received 17 December 2007; revised 4 January 2008; accepted 5 January 2008.
- 1992. Molecular characterization of a rat negative regulator with a basic helix-loop-helix structure predominantly expressed in the developing nervous system. J. Biol. Chem. 267, 21 879–21 885. , , &
- 2001. A unified hypothesis on the lineage of neural stem cells. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 2, 287–293. , &
- 1999. Notch signaling: cell fate control and signal integration in development. Science 284, 770–776. , &
- 2006. Persistent and high levels of Hes1 expression regulate boundary formation in the developing central nervous system. Development 133, 2467–2476. , , , &
- 2002. Proneural genes and the specification of neural cell types. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 3, 517–530. , &
- 2001. Dynamic expression and essential functions of Hes7 in somite segmentation. Genes Dev. 15, 2642–2647. , , , , &
- 2003. Periodic repression by the bHLH factor Hes7 is an essential mechanism for the somite segmentation clock. Genes Dev. 17, 1451–1456. , , &
- 2006. Proneural bHLH and Brn proteins coregulate a neurogenic program through cooperative binding to a conserved DNA motif. Dev. Cell 11, 831–844. , , et al.
- 1997. Conservation of the Drosophila lateral inhibition pathway in human lung cancer: a hairy-related protein (HES-1) directly represses achaete-scute homolog-1 expression. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94, 5355–5360. , , et al.
- 2003. Neurons from radial glia: the consequences of asymmetric inheritance. Curr. Opin. Neurobiol. 13, 34–41. &
- 2003. The discovery of the matrix cell, the identification of the multipotent neural stem cell and the development of the central nervous system. Cell Struct. Funct. 28, 205–228.
- 2000. rax, Hes1, and notch1 promote the formation of Müller glia by postnatal retinal progenitor cells. Neuron 26, 383–394. , , , &
- 2000. Radial glial identity is promoted by Notch1 signaling in the murine forebrain. Neuron 26, 395–404. , &
- 2005. The cell biology of neurogenesis. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 6, 777–788. &
- 2001. Roles of homeobox and bHLH genes in specification of a retinal cell type. Development 128, 1313–1322. , , &
- 2004. Hes genes regulate size, shape and histogenesis of the nervous system by control of the timing of neural stem cell differentiation. Development 131, 5539–5550. , , et al.
- 2001. Hes1 and Hes3 regulate maintenance of the isthmic organizer and development of the mid/hindbrain. EMBO J. 20, 4454–4466. , , &
- 2002. Oscillatory expression of the bHLH factor Hes1 regulated by a negative feedback loop. Science 298, 840–843. , , et al.
- 2000. Glial cell fate specification modulated by the bHLH gene Hes5 in mouse retina. Development 127, 2515–2522. , , , , &
- 1996. The shortest path from the surface to the nucleus: RBP-J κ/Su(H) transcription factor. Genes Cells 1, 1–9.
- 1994. Persistent expression of helix-loop-helix factor HES-1 prevents mammalian neural differentiation in the central nervous system. EMBO J. 13, 1799–1805. , , , , &
- 1995. Targeted disruption of mammalian hairy and Enhancer of split homolog-1 (HES-1) leads to up-regulation of neural helix-loop-helix factors, premature neurogenesis, and severe neural tube defects. Genes Dev. 9, 3136–3148. , , , , &
- 2000. Notch signalling is required for cyclic expression of the hairy-like gene HES1 in the presomitic mesoderm. Development 127, 1421–1429. , , et al.
- 2007. The Hes gene family: repressors and oscillators that orchestrate embryogenesis. Development 134, 1243–1251. , &
- 2004. Hes binding to STAT3 mediates crosstalk between Notch and JAK-STAT signaling. Nat. Cell Biol. 6, 547–554. , , , , &
- 2005. Compartments and their boundaries in vertebrate brain development. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 6, 553–564. &
- 2002. STATS: transcriptional control and biological impact. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 3, 651–662. & .
- 2006. Real-time imaging of the somite segmentation clock: revelation of unstable oscillators in the individual presomitic mesoderm cells. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103, 1313–1318. , , et al.
- 2001. Neural bHLH genes control the neuronal versus glial fate decision in cortical progenitors. Neuron 9, 401–413. , , &
- 2007. The initiation and propagation of Hes7 oscillation are cooperatively regulated by Fgf and Notch signaling in the somite segmentation clock. Dev. Cell 13, 298–304. , , , , &
- 1999. Hes1 and Hes5 as Notch effectors in mammalian neuronal differentiation. EMBO J. 18, 2196–2207. , , , , &
- 2001. Roles of the basic helix-loop-helix genes Hes1 and Hes5 in expansion of neural stem cells of the developing brain. J. Biol. Chem. 276, 30 467–30 474. , , &
- 2006. Visualization of embryonic neural stem cells using Hes promoters in transgenic mice. Mol. Cell Neurosci. 31, 109–122. , , , , &
- 2004. Mash1 specifies neurons and oligodendrocytes in the postnatal brain. EMBO J. 23, 4495–4505. , , et al.
- 2003. Basic helix-loop-helix factors in cortical development. Neuron 39, 13–25. , &
- 1992. Two mammalian helix-loop-helix factors structurally related to Drosophila hairy and Enhancer of split. Genes Dev. 6, 2620–2634. , , , &
- 2008. Oscillations in Notch signaling regulate maintenance of neural progenitors. Neuron in press. , &
- 2007. Combinatorial actions of patterning and HLH transcription factors in the spatiotemporal control of neurogenesis and gliogenesis in the developing spinal cord. Development 134, 1617–1629. , , , , &
- 2001. Neurogenin promotes neurogenesis and inhibits glial differentiation by independent mechanisms. Cell 104, 365–376. , , et al.
- 1994. Structure, chromosomal locus, and promoter analysis of the gene encoding the mouse helix-loop-helix factor HES-1: negative autoregulation through the multiple N box elements. J. Biol. Chem. 269, 5150– 5156. , , , , &
- 2001. DNA methylation is a critical cell-intrinsic determinant of astrocyte differentiation in the fetal brain. Dev. Cell 1, 749–758. , , et al.
- 2000. Mammalian achaete-scute and atonal homologs regulate neuronal versus glial fate determination in the central nervous system. EMBO J. 19, 5460–5472. , , , &
- 2007. Ultradian oscillations of Stat, Smad, and Hes1 expression in response to serum. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104, 11 292–11 297. , , , , &
- 2004. The STATS of cancer – new molecular targets come of age. Nat. Rev. Cancer 4, 97–105. &