The autopod: Its formation during limb development
Version of Record online: 6 MAY 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Special Issue: Special ISSUE for the 50th Volume: History and Current Highlights of Developmental Biology
Volume 50, Issue Supplement s1, pages S177–S187, June 2008
How to Cite
Tamura, K., Yonei-Tamura, S., Yano, T., Yokoyama, H. and Ide, H. (2008), The autopod: Its formation during limb development. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 50: S177–S187. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2008.01020.x
- Issue online: 6 MAY 2008
- Version of Record online: 6 MAY 2008
- Received 25 January 2008; accepted 29 January 2008.
- 2007. Cell tracing reveals a dorsoventral lineage restriction plane in the mouse limb bud mesenchyme. Development 134, 3713–3722. , , &
- 1992. Introduction of a retinoid reporter gene into the urodele limb blastema. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 89, 11 386–11 390.
- 2001. Patterning mechanisms controlling vertebrate limb development. Ann. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol. 17, 87–132. &
- 1999. Control of vertebrate limb outgrowth by the proximal factor Meis2 and distal antagonism of BMPs by Gremlin. Mol. Cell 4, 839–849. , , , &
- 2007. Digit morphogenesis: is the tip different? Dev. Growth Differ. 49, 479–491. &
- 1988. Retinoic acid coordinately proximalizes regenerate pattern and blastema differential affinity in axolotl limbs. Development 102, 687–698. &
- 1996. A mutational analysis of the 5’HoxD genes: dissection of genetic interactions during limb development in the mouse. Development 122, 1175–1185. &
- 1995. Absence of radius and ulna in mice lacking hoxa-11 and hoxd-11. Nature 375, 791–795. , , , &
- 2007. An autopodial-like pattern of Hox expression in the fins of a basal actinopterygian fish. Nature 447, 473–476. , &
- 2007. Biphasic Hoxd gene expression in shark paired fins reveals an ancient origin of the distal limb domain. PLOS One 2 (8), e754. , &
- 1996. Hoxa-13 and Hoxd-13 play a crucial role in the patterning of the limb autopod. Development 122, 2997–3011. , , , , &
- 2000. Dackel acts in the ectoderm of the zebrafish pectoral fin bud to maintain AER signaling. Development 127, 4169–4178. , &
- 1951. A series of normal stage in the development of the chick embryo. J. Morphol. 88, 49–92. &
- 1994. Sorting out of cells from different parts and stages of the chick limb bud. Dev. Biol. 162, 71–76. , &
- 1998. Pattern formation in dissociated limb bud mesenchyme in vitro and in vivo. Wound Repair Regen. 6, 398–402. , , , , &
- 2007. Fish fingers: digit homologues in sarcopterygian fish fins. J. Exp. Zoolog. B Mol. Dev. Evol. 308, 757–768. , , , , &
- 1995. Cadherin-11 expressed in association with mesenchymal morphogenesis in the head, somite, and limb bud of early mouse embryos. Dev. Biol. 169, 347–358. , et al.
- 1998. Existence of gradient in cell adhesiveness along the developing Xenopus hind limb bud, shown by a cellular sorting-out experiment in vitro. Dev. Growth Differ. 40, 355–362. &
- 2001. Cloning of a novel retinoic-acid metabolizing cytochrome P450, Cyp26B1, and comparative expression analysis with Cyp26A1 during early murine development. Mech. Dev. 107, 195–201. , , , , &
- 1982. Vitamin A and pattern formation in the regenerating limb. Nature 295, 672–675.
- 1998. The roles of FGFs in the early development of vertebrate limbs. Genes Dev. 12, 1571–1586.
- 2007. Prospective teratology of retinoic acid metabolic blocking agents (RAMBAs) and loss of CYP26 activity. Curr. Pharm. Design. 13, 3020–3037. &
- 2000. Opposing RA and FGF signals control proximodistal vertebrate limb development through regulation of Meis genes. Development 127, 3961–3970. , , et al.
- 1999. Conserved regulation of proximodistal limb axis development by Meis1/Hth. Nature 402, 425–429. , , et al.
- 2005. Proximodistal identity during vertebrate limb regeneration is regulated by Meis homeodomain proteins. Development 132, 4131–4142. , &
- 2005. Expression of Hoxa-11 and Hoxa-13 in the pectoral fin of a basal ray-finned fish, Polyodon spathula: implications for the origin of tetrapod limbs. Evol. Dev. 7, 186–195. , , , , &
- 2004. Retinoic acid synthesis controlled by Raldh2 is required early for limb bud initiation and then later as a proximodistal signal during apical ectodermal ridge formation. J. Biol. Chem. 279, 26 698–26 706. , &
- 1983. Surface properties of regenerating limb cells: evidence for a gradient along the proximodistal axis. Differentiation 27, 27–31. &
- 1996. Analysis of Hox gene expression in the chick limb bud. Development 122, 1449–1466. , , et al.
- 1999. Transient establishment of anteroposterior polarity in the zebrafish pectoral fin bud in the absence of sonic hedgehog activity. Development 126, 4817–4826. , , , &
- 1978. Abnormal hind limb regeneration in tadpoles of the toad, Bufo andersoni, exposed to excess vitamin A. Folia Biol. (Krakow) 26, 3–8. &
- 1997. Restricted expression and retinoic acid-induced downregulation of the retinaldehyde dehydrogenase type 2 (RALDH-2) gene during mouse development. Mech. Dev. 62, 67–78. , , , &
- 2002. Embryonic retinoic acid synthesis is required for forelimb growth and anteroposterior patterning in the mouse. Development 129, 3563–3574. , , , &
- 1991. Involvement of the Chox-4 chicken homeobox genes in determination of anteroposterior axial polarity during limb development. Cell 64, 1197–1205. , , et al.
- 1991. Retinoic acid induces polarizing activity but is unlikely to be a morphogen in the chick limb bud. Nature 350, 83–86. , , et al.
- 2007. A molecular clock operates during chick autopod proximal-distal outgrowth. J. Mol. Biol. 368, 303–309. , , et al.
- 2007. A cellular lineage analysis of the chick limb bud. Dev. Biol. 310, 388–400. , , &
- 2006. Hoxd13 and Hoxa13 directly control the expression of the EphA7 Ephrin tyrosine kinase receptor in developing limbs. J. Biol. Chem. 281, 1992–1999. &
- 2007. Specification of cell fate along the proximal-distal axis in the developing chick limb bud. Development 134, 1397–1406. , , , &
- 1948. The proximo–distal sequence of origin of the parts of the chick wing and the role of the ectoderm. J. Exp. Zool. 108, 363–403.
- 1994. Retinoic acid gradients during limb regeneration. Dev. Biol. 162, 608–617. &
- 2006. The pectoral fin of Tiktaalik roseae and the origin of the tetrapod limb. Nature 440, 764–771. , &
- 2002. The newt ortholog of CD59 is implicated in proximodistal identity during amphibian limb regeneration. Dev. Cell 3, 547–555. , &
- 1996. Zebrafish Hoxa and Evx-2 genes: cloning, developmental expression and implications for the functional evolution of posterior Hox genes. Mech. Dev. 59, 165–175. , &
- 1995. Hox gene expression in teleost fins and the origin of vertebrate digits. Nature 375, 678–681. , &
- 2001. Loss of Eph-receptor expression correlates with loss of cell adhesion and chondrogenic capacity in Hoxa13 mutant limbs. Development 128, 4177–4188. , &
- 1970. Does differential adhesion govern self-assembly processes in histogenesis? Equilibrium configurations and the emergence of a hierarchy among populations of embryonic cells. J. Exp. Zool. 173, 395–433.
- 1999. Abnormal anteroposterior and dorsoventral patterning of the limb bud in the absence of retinoids. Mech. Dev. 81, 115–125. , , &
- 1974. A quantitative analysis of the effect of excision of the AER from the chick limb bud. J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol. 32, 651–660.
- 1975. Time, place and positional value in the chick limb-bud. J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol. 33, 621–643. &
- 1973. Positional information in chick limb morphogenesis. Nature 244, 492–496. , &
- 1999. Complementary domains of retinoic acid production and degradation in the early chick embryo. Dev. Biol. 216, 282–296. , , , , &
- 2007. Rethinking the proximodistal axis of the vertebrate limb in the molecular era. Genes Dev. 21, 1433–1442. &
- 1993. Induction of polarizing activity by retinoic acid occurs independently of duplicate formation in developing chick limb buds. Dev. Biol. 158, 341–349. , &
- 1990. Distribution of retinoids in the chick limb bud: analysis with monoclonal antibody. Dev. Biol. 140, 20–26. , &
- 1997. Retinoic acid changes the proximodistal developmental competence and affinity of distal cells in the developing chick limb bud. Dev. Biol. 188, 224–234. , , &
- 1987. Identification and spatial distribution of retinoids in the developing chick limb bud. Nature 327, 625–628. &
- 1984. Retinoic acid-induced pattern duplication in regenerating urodele limbs. Dev. Biol. 103, 319–328. &
- 1988. The effects of local application of retinoids to different positions along the proximo-distal axis of embryonic chick wings. Roux's Arch. Dev. Biol. 197, 27–36. &
- 2002. The progress zone – alive or dead? Nat. Cell Biol. 4, E216–E217. &
- 1982. Local application of retinoic acid to the limb bond mimics the action of the polarizing region. Nature 296, 564–566. , , &
- 1985. A quantitative analysis of the effect of all-trans-retinoic acid on the pattern of chick wing development. Dev. Biol. 109, 82–95. , &
- 2005. Birds have dinosaur wings: the molecular evidence. J. Exp. Zoolog. B Mol. Dev. Evol. 304, 86–90. &
- 2001. Characterisation of hoxa gene expression in the chick limb bud in response to FGF. Dev. Dyn. 220, 87–90. , , , &
- 1994. Sorting out of limb bud cells in monolayer culture. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 38, 351–356. &
- 1998. Glycosylphosphatidylinositol-anchored cell surface proteins regulate position-specific cell affinity in the limb bud. Dev. Biol. 202, 244–252. , , , &
- 2003. Ephrin-A2 regulates position-specific cell affinity and is involved in cartilage morphogenesis in the chick limb bud. Dev. Biol. 264, 550–563. , , &
- 1993. Cell sorting and chondrogenic aggregate formation in limb bud recombinants and in culture. Dev. Growth Differ. 35, 421–430. , &
- 2001. The tetrapod limb: a hypothesis on its origin. J. Exp. Zool. 291, 226–240. &
- 1991. Conversion by retinoic acid of anterior cells into ZPA cells in the chick wing bud. Nature 350, 81–83. , , &
- 1969. Positional information and the spatial pattern of cellular differentiation. J. Theor. Biol. 25, 1–47.
- 1975. Morphogenesis of the vertebrate limb. Ciba Found Symp. 0, 95–130. , &
- 2002. Cell adhesiveness and affinity for limb pattern formation. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 46, 897–904. , , &
- 1999. Role of N-cadherin in the sorting-out of mesenchymal cells and in the positional identity along the proximodistal axis of the chick limb bud. Dev. Dyn. 216, 274–284. , , , &
- 2004. Regulation of retinoic acid distribution is required for proximodistal patterning and outgrowth of the developing mouse limb. Dev. Cell 6, 411–422. , , et al.
- 1991. Homeobox gene expression correlated with the bifurcation process of limb cartilage development. Nature 353, 443–445. , &
- 1995. Misexpression of Hoxa-13 induces cartilage homeotic transformation and changes cell adhesiveness in chick limb buds. Genes Dev. 9, 2509–2522. , , , , , , &