Role of metalloproteinases at the onset of liver development
Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
© 2008 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2008 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 50, Issue 5, pages 331–338, June 2008
How to Cite
Margagliotti, S., Clotman, F., Pierreux, C. E., Lemoine, P., Rousseau, G. G., Henriet, P. and Lemaigre, F. P. (2008), Role of metalloproteinases at the onset of liver development. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 50: 331–338. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2008.01031.x
- Issue published online: 28 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 28 APR 2008
- Received 5 December 2007; revised 11 February 2008; accepted 27 February 2008.
- 2000. Hex expression suggests a role in the development and function of organs derived from foregut endoderm. Dev. Dyn. 219, 84–89. , , , &
- 1998. The TIMP-2 membrane type 1 metalloproteinase ‘receptor’ regulates the concentration and efficient activation of progelatinase A. A kinetic study. J. Biol. Chem. 279, 871–880. , , et al .
- 2001. MT1-MMP initiates activation of proMMP-2 and integrin alphaVbeta3 promotes maturation of MMP-2 in breast carcinoma cells. Exp. Cell. Res. 263, 209–223. , , et al .
- 1994. Expression of transcription factor HNF-4 in the extraembryonic endoderm, gut, and nephrogenic tissue of the developing mouse embryo: HNF-4 is a marker for primary endoderm in the implanting blastocyst. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 91, 7598–7602. , , et al .
- 2005. EMMPRIN/CD147, an MMP modulator in cancer, development and tissue repair. Biochimie 87, 361–368. , , &
- 2001. Human hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) cells require both alpha3beta1 integrin and matrix metalloproteinases activity for migration and invasion. Laboratory Invest. 81, 613–627. , , , , &
- 2007. The homeobox gene Hhex is essential for proper hepatoblast differentiation and bile duct morphogenesis. Dev. Biol. 308, 355–367. , , et al .
- 2006. MT1-MMP: a potent modifier of pericellular microenvironment. J. Cell. Physiol. 206, 1–8. &
- 2001. Homophilic complex formation of MT1-MMP facilitates proMMP-2 activation on the cell surface and promotes tumor cell invasion. EMBO J. 20, 4782–4793. , , et al .
- 2003. Cloning and embryonic expression pattern of the mouse Onecut transcription factor OC-2. Gene Expr. Patterns 3, 639–644. , , , , &
- 2002. Basigin (CD147) is expressed on melanoma cells and induces tumor cell invasion by stimulating production of matrix metalloproteinases by fibroblasts. Int. J. Cancer. 99, 520–528. , &
- 2000. Role of cell surface metalloprotease MT1-MMP in epithelial cell migration over laminin-5. J. Cell. Biol. 148, 615–624. , , , &
- 2004. TIMPs as multifacial proteins. Crit. Rev. Oncol. Hematol. 49, 187–198. , , &
- 2004. Liver development update: new embryo models, cell lineage control, and morphogenesis. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 14, 582–590. &
- 2002. Modulation of adipose tissue expression of murine matrix metalloproteinases and their tissue inhibitors with obesity. Diabetes 51, 1093–1101. , , , &
- 2007. The Onecut transcription factors HNF-6/OC-1 and OC-2 regulate early liver expansion by controlling hepatoblast migration. Dev. Biol. 311, 579–589. , , et al .
- 2001. Liver organogenesis promoted by endothelial cells prior to vascular function. Science 294, 559–563. , , &
- 2004. Regulation of matrix biology by matrix metalloproteinases. Curr. Opin. Cell. Biol. 16, 558–564. &
- 1999. Matrix metalloproteinases. J. Biol. Chem. 30, 21 491–21 494. &
- 2004. Expression analysis of the entire MMP and TIMP gene families during mouse tissue development. FEBS Lett. 563, 129–134. , , , , &
- 2005. Expression of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) in cultured hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) cells and surgically resected HCC tissues. Oncol. Report 13, 1043–1048. , , et al .
- 2007. Matrix metalloproteinases and the regulation of tissue remodelling. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell. Biol. 8, 221–233. , &
- 2007. Gene regulation by homeobox transcription factor Prox1 in murine hepatoblasts. Cell. Tissue Res. 330, 209–220. , , et al .
- 2004. The transcription factor Hepatocyte nuclear factor-6/Onecut-1 controls the expression of its paralog Onecut-3 in developing mouse endoderm. J. Biol. Chem. 279, 51 298–51 304. , , , &
- 2003. Membrane-type 1 matrix metalloproteinase and cell migration. Biochem. Soc. Symposium. 70, 253–262. , , , &
- 2004. Immunolocalization of extracellular matrix components and integrins during mouse liver development. Hepatology 40, 346–355. &
- 2000. Hepatocyte migration during liver development requires Prox1. Nat. Genet. 25, 254–255. , &
- 2001. How matrix metalloproteinases regulate cell behavior. Annu. Rev. Cell. Dev. Biol. 17, 463–516. &
- 1993. Extracellular matrix 6: role of matrix metalloproteinases in tumor invasion and metastasis. FASEB J. 7, 1434–1441. , &
- 1995. Mechanism of cell surface activation of 72-kDa type IV collagenase. Isolation of the activated form of the membrane metalloprotease. J. Biol. Chem. 270, 5331–5338. , , , , &
- 2007. Neurturin-GFRa2 signaling controls liver bud migration along the ductus venosus in the chick embryo. Dev. Biol. 307, 4–28. , , &
- 2002. Breast cancer cell-derived EMMPRIN stimulates fibroblast MMP-2 release through a phospholipase A (2) and 5-lipoxygenase catalyzed pathway. Oncogene. 21, 5765–5772. , , et al .
- 1998. Differential expression and origin of membrane-type 1 and 2 matrix metalloproteinases (MT–MMPs) in association with MMP-2 activation in injured human livers. Am. J. Pathol. 153, 945–954. , , , &
- 2000. Matrix metalloproteinases: effectors of development and normal physiology. Genes Dev. 14, 2123–2133. &
- 2003. HNF4: a central regulator of hepatocyte differentiation and function. Hepatology 37, 1249–1253. , &
- 2002. Regulatory phases of early liver development: paradigms of organogenesis. Nat. Rev. Genet. 3, 499–512.
- 2005. Embryonic development of the liver. Hepatology 41, 956–967. &
- 2005. GATA6 is essential for embryonic development of the liver but dispensable for early heart formation. Mol Cell Biol. 25, 2622–2631. , , , , &