Ascidian follicle cells: Multifunctional adjuncts to maturation and development
Article first published online: 23 AUG 2009
© 2009 The Author. Journal compilation © 2009 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 51, Issue 8, pages 677–686, October 2009
How to Cite
Lambert, C. C. (2009), Ascidian follicle cells: Multifunctional adjuncts to maturation and development. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 51: 677–686. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2009.01127.x
- Issue published online: 23 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 23 AUG 2009
- Received 30 April 2009; revised 12 July 2009; accepted 13 July 2009.
- 2001. Common cell-surface antigens functioning in self-recognition reactions by both somatic cells and gametes in the solitary ascidian Halocynthia roretzi. Microbiol. Immunol. 45, 857–866. , , , , &
- 1991. Ultrastructural and histochemical study of anural development in the ascidian Molgula pacifica (Huntsman). Rouxs Arch. Dev. Biol. 200, 193–201. &
- 1998. Developmental roles of nuclear complex factors released during oocyte maturation in the ascidians Halocynthia roretzi and Boltenia villosa. Zool. Sci. 15, 69–76. &
- 2002. The phylogenetic significance of maximum direct development in the ascidian, Molgula pacifica. Invertebr. Reprod. Dev. 41, 185–192.
- 1929. Studies in tunicate development. Part I. General physiology of development of simple ascidians. Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B 218, 37–78.
- 1969. Gamete transport-comparative aspects. In: The Mammalian Oviduct, (eds E. S. E.Hafez & R. J.Blandau), pp. 129–162. Univ. Chicago Press, Chicago.
- 1997. Identification of sperm plasma membrane proteins exhibiting binding affinity for the ascidian egg coat. Dev. Growth Differ. 39, 551–561. &
- 1946. Ascidians in the vicinity of the Portobello Marine Biological Station, Otago Harbour. Trans. Roy. Soc. NZ 76, 87–131.
- 1997. Urochordata: Ascidiacea. In: Microscopic Anatomy of Invertebrates, (eds F. W.Harrison & E. E.Ruppert), pp. 221–347. Wiley-Liss, Inc., NY. &
- 1989. Pigmented follicle cells and the maturation of oocytes in the sand dollar, Dendraster excentricus. Dev. Growth Differ. 31, 431–437. &
- 2000. Mechanism of the block to hybridization and selfing between the sympatric ascidians Ciona intestinalis and Ciona savignyi. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 55, 109–116. &
- 1999. Meiosis activating sterols (MAS) and fertility in mammals and man. J. Exp. Zool. 285, 237–242. , , &
- 1927. Developmental modification and elimination of the larval stage in the ascidian, Corella willmeriana. J. Morphol. Physiol. 44, 467–514.
- 1990. Larval tunic and the function of the test cells in ascidians. Acta Zool. 71, 151–159.
- 1995. Origin and differentiation of the inner follicular cells during oogenesis in Molgula pacifica (Urochordata), an ascidian without test cells. Acta Zool. 76, 89–104.
- 1970. Transcellular emigration of blood cells during ascidian metamorphosis. Z. Zellforsch. 107, 157–173. &
- 1996. Ascidian larvae: the role of test cells in preventing hydrophobicity. Acta Zool. 77, 73–78. &
- 1991. Gamete self-discrimination in ascidians: a role for the follicle cells. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 29, 47–50. &
- 2001. Further observations on the molecular bases of gamete self-discrimination in Ciona intestinalis: seasonal variation of self sterility rate. In: The Biology of Ascidians, (eds H.Sawada, H.Yokosawa & C. C.Lambert), pp. 14–17. Springer, Tokyo. , &
- 2002. The draft genome of Ciona intestinalis: insights into chordate and vertebrate origins. Science USA 298, 2157–2167. , , , , , , , et al.
- 2006. Tunicates and not cephalochordates are the closest living relatives of vertebrates. Nature 439, 965–968. , , &
- 2007. Combined effects of bottlenecks and selfing in populations of Corella eumyota, a recently introduced sea squirt in the English Channel. Divers. Distrib. 13, 808–817. , , &
- 1999. Development in the floating world: defenses of eggs and larvae against damage from UV radiation. Am. Zool. 39, 271–278. , , &
- 2003. Protection of DNA during early development: adaptations and evolutionary consequences. Evol. Dev. 5, 83–88.
- 1999. Xenopus oocyte maturation: new lessons from a good egg. BioEssays 21, 833–842.
- 1994. The endocrine pathway responsible for oocyte maturation in the inarticulate brachipod Glottidia. Biol. Bull. 186, 263–270.
- 1983. Self and non-self recognition between gametes of the ascidian, Halocynthia roretzi. Rouxs Arch. Dev. Biol. 192, 347–352.
- 1996. Establishment of self-sterility of eggs in the ovary of the solitary ascidian, Halocynthia roretzi. Rouxs Arch. Dev. Biol. 205, 391–400. &
- 1999. Self-sterility of eggs induced by exogenous and endogenous protease in the solitary ascidian, Halocynthia roretzi. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 52, 99–106. &
- 2009. Mitochondrial translocation in ascidian spermatozoa and its role in reproduction. Bull. Gifu Univ. Med. Sci. 3, 101–108.
- 2006. Comparative organization of follicle, accessory cells and spawning anlagen in dynamic semelparous clutch manipulators, the urochordate Oikopleuridae. Biol. Cell 98, 389–401. , &
- 1978. On the ultrastructure of the follicle cells of Ascidia malaca during oogenesis. Acta Embryol. Exp. 2, 197–211. &
- 1990. Urochordata – Thaliacea. In: Reproductive Biology of Invertebrates, (eds K. G.Adiyodi & R. G.Adiyodi), pp. 453–469. Oxford & IBH Publ. Co, New Delhi.
- 1991. Isolation characterization and localization of a sperm-bound N-acetylglucosaminidase that is indispensable for fertilization in the ascidian Phallusia mammillata. Dev. Biol. 143, 398–407. &
- 1997. Evidence for cell surface and internal phospholipase activity in ascidian eggs. Dev. Growth Differ. 39, 655–660. , , , , &
- 1988. Fertilization alters the spatial distribution and the density of voltage-dependent sodium current in the egg of the ascidian Boltenia villosa. Dev. Biol. 127, 408–420. &
- 1941. The early development of Cynthia roretzi. Sci. Rep. Tohoku Imp. Univ., Biol. 16, 217–232.
- 1992. The involvement of sperm and egg glycosidases in animal fertilization. Trends Glycosci. Glycotechnol. 4, 437–444.
- 2001. Structural and molecular investigations on the egg coat in Phallusia mammillata. In: The Biology of Ascidians, (eds H.Sawada, H.Yokosawa & C. C.Lambert), pp. 3–8. Springer, Tokyo. &
- 2008. The ascidian egg envelope in fertilization: structural and molecular features. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 52, 527–533. &
- 1985. Sperm glycosidases as mediators of sperm-egg binding in the ascidians. Zool. Sci. 2, 65–69. , , , &
- 1980. The follicular envelope of ascidian eggs: a site of messenger RNA and protein synthesis during early embryogenesis. J. Exp. Zool. 212, 279–289.
- 2007. Chordate ancestry of the neural crest: new insights from ascidians. Semin. Cell Dev. Biol. 18, 481–491.
- 2005. Self- and cross-fertilization in the solitary ascidian Ciona savignyi. Biol. Bull. 209, 107–112. &
- 1975. Maturation-inducing substances in asteroid and echinoid oocytes. Am. Zool. 15, 493–505.
- 1988. Helper function of follicle cells in sperm-egg interactions of the ascidian, Ciona intestinalis. Dev. Growth Differ. 30, 693–703. , &
- 2003. Molecular cloning and sequence analysis of an ascidian egg β-N-acetylhexosaminidase with a potential role in fertilization. Dev. Growth Differ. 45, 209–218. &
- 1890. Contributions a l'Etude Anatomique et Taxonomique des Tuniciers. pp. 328, Imprimerie Lagarde et Sebille, Toulouse.
- 2000. Assay and importance of adhesive interaction between hamster (Mesocricetus auratus) oocytes-cumulus complexes and the oviductal epithelium. Biol. Reprod. 62, 579–588. , , &
- 1986. Fertilization-induced modification of chorion N-acetylglucosamine groups in the ascidian chorion, decreasing sperm binding and polyspermy. Dev. Biol. 116, 168–173.
- 1989. Ascidian eggs release glycosidase activity which aids in the block against polyspermy. Development 105, 415–420.
- 2000. Germ-cell warfare in ascidians: sperm from one species can interfere with the fertilization of a second species. Biol. Bull. 198, 22–25.
- 2005. Signaling pathways in ascidian oocyte maturation: effects of various inhibitors and activators on germinal vesicle breakdown. Dev. Growth Differ. 47, 265–272.
- 2008. Signaling pathways in ascidian oocyte maturation: the role of cAMP and follicle cells in germinal vesicle breakdown. Dev. Growth Differ. 50, 181–188.
- 1992. Glycolipid linkage of a polyspermy blocking glycosidase to the ascidian egg surface. Dev. Biol. 153, 95–100. &
- 1997. Ascidian eggs block polyspermy by two independent mechanisms: one at the plasma membrane, the other involving the follicle cells. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 48, 137–143. , , , &
- 1990. Preliminary note on the genetic isolation of Ciona species (Ascidiacea, Urochordata). Vie Mil. 40, 293–295. , &
- 1978. Tunicate eggs utilize ammonium ions for flotation. Science USA 200, 64–65. &
- 1981. Formation of the block to polyspermy in ascidian eggs: time course, ion requirements, and role of the accessory cells. J. Exp. Zool. 217, 261–270. &
- 1995. Brooding strategies in solitary ascidians: Corella species from north and south temperate waters. Can. J. Zool. 73, 1666–1671. , &
- 2004. The south temperate and antarctic ascidian Corella eumyota reported in two harbors in northwestern France. J. Mar. Biol. Assoc. UK 84, 239–241.
- 2007. Invasive sea squirts: a growing global problem. J. Exp. Mar. Biol. Ecol. 342, 3–4.
- 1991. Glycoprotein constituents of the vitelline coat of Phallusia mammillata (Ascidiacea) with fertilization inhibiting activity. Dev. Biol. 148, 536–551. &
- 1994. Folliculum formation in the ascidian Phallusia mammillata ovary. Anim. Biol. 3, 3–14.
- 1993. Egg envelope cytodifferentiation in the colonial ascidian Botryllus schlosseri (Tunicata). Acta Zool. 74, 103–114. , &
- 2005. Self-fertilization as an alternative mode of reproduction in the solitary tunicate Pyura chilensis. Mar. Ecol. Prog. Ser. 305, 113–125. &
- 1998. The hsp70 protein is involved in the acquisition of gamete self-sterility in the ascidian Ciona intestinalis. Development 125, 899–907. , , , &
- 1999. Follicle cell proteasome activity and acid extract from the egg vitelline coat prompt the onset of self-sterility in Ciona intestinalis oocytes. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 96, 9633–9636. , , &
- 1988. Ovulation and egg segregation in the tunic of a colonial ascidian, Diplosoma listerianum (Tunicata, Ascidiacea). Zoomorphology 108, 219–227. , , &
- 1942. Cross- and self-fertilization in the ascidian Styela. Biol. Bull. 82, 161–171.
- 1976. Studies on the formation of germ cells in a compound ascidian Botryllus primigenus Oka. J. Morphol. 148, 337–362. &
- 2002. Re-examination of sibling cross-sterility in the ascidian, Ciona intestinalis: genetic background of the self-sterility. Zool. Sci. 19, 527–538. &
- 1995. Regulation of oocyte growth and maturation in fish. Curr. Top. Dev. Biol. 30, 103–145. , , , &
- 2007. Genealogical relationships within and among shallow-water Ciona species (Ascidiacea). Mar. Biol. 151, 1839–1847. &
- 1995. Specific induction of self-discrimination by follicle cells in Ciona intestinalis oocytes. Dev. Growth Differ. 37, 287–291. , , &
- 2006. Establishment of animal-vegetal polarity during maturation in ascidian oocytes. Dev. Biol. 290, 297–311. , &
- 2008. Cortical and cytoplasmic flows driven by actin microfilaments polarize the cortical ER-mRNA domain along the a-v axis in ascidian oocytes. Dev. Biol. 313, 682–699. , &
- 1999. Activation of follicle cell surface phospholipase by tyrosine kinase dependent pathway is an essential event in ascidian fertilization. Mol. Reprod. Dev. 54, 69–75. , , , &
- 2005. Key characters uniting hemichordates and chordates: homologies or homoplasies? Can. J. Zool. 83, 8–23.
- 1991. Possible MS production by follicle cells in spontaneous oocyte maturation of the ascidian, Halocynthia roretzi. Dev. Growth Differ. 33, 155–162. &
- 1994. Developmental Biology of Ascidians. pp. 234. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge.
- 2001. Ascidian embryos as a model system to analyze expression and function of developmental genes. Differentiation 68, 1–12.
- 2005. Surfing with the tunicates into the post-genome era. Genes Dev. 19, 2407–2411. &
- 2001. Self-nonself recognition and lysin system in fertilization of the ascidian Halocynthia roretzi. In: The Biology of Ascidians, (eds H.Sawada, H.Yokosawa & C. C.Lambert), pp. 18–23. Springer, Tokyo. &
- 1989. Effects of cytoskeletal inhibitors on ooplasmic segregation and microtubule organization during fertilization and early development in the ascidian Molgula occidentalis. Dev. Biol. 132, 331–342. &
- 1985. Ovulation in the animal kingdom: a review with an emphasis on the contractile process. Gamete Res. 11, 191–221. &
- 1985. Local control mechanisms during oogenesis and folliculogenesis. In: Developmental Biology: A Comprehensive Synthesis, (ed. L. W.Browder), pp. 3–83. Plenum, New York.
- 1990. A review of echinoderm oogenesis. J. Electron Microsc. Tech. 16, 94–114.
- 1997. Oocyte maturation in the brachiopod Terebratalia transversa: role of follicle cell-oocyte attachments during ovulation and germinal vesicle breakdown. Biol. Bull. 193, 324–340. &
- 2001. 5-HT causes an increase in cAMP that stimulates, rather than inhibits maturation in marine nemertean worms. Development 128, 1415–1427. &
- 1987. Differentiation of the accessory cells and structural regionalization of the oocyte in the ascidian Ciona savignyi during early oogenesis. J. Exp. Zool. 242, 205–214. , &
- 2001. Phylogeny of the urochordates: implications for chordate evolution. In: The Biology of Ascidians, (eds H.Sawada, H.Yokosawa & C. C.Lambert), pp. 219–224. Springer-Verlag, Tokyo.
- 2003. Cell adhesion and fertilization: steps in oocyte transport, sperm-zona pellucida interactions, and sperm-egg fusion. Biol. Reprod. 68, 1–9. , &
- 1985. Self or non-self discrimination in ascidians. Zool. Sci.. 2, 433–442. , &
- 1942. The histology of the gonads and development of the egg envelopes of an ascidian (Styela plicata Lesueur). J. Morphol. 70, 81–108.
- 1992. Ascidian interspecific fertilization I. Preliminary data on the involvement of the follicle cell layer. Eur. Arch. Biol. 103, 25–30. &
- 1993. Role of the follicle cells in ascidian sperm-egg interaction. Anim. Biol. 2, 175–184. &
- 2000. The follicle cells of Styela plicata (Ascidiacea, tunicata): a sem study. Zool. Sci. 17, 1115–1121. &
- 2001. Follicle cells of Styela plicata eggs (Ascidiacea). In: The Biology of Ascidians, (eds H.Sawada, H.Yokosawa & C. C.Lambert), pp. 67–73. Springer-Verlag, Tokyo. &
- 2002. Evaluating hypotheses of deuterostome phylogeny and chordate evolution with new LSU and SSU ribosomal DNA data. Mol. Biol. Evol. 19, 762–776. , , , &
- 1988. Involvement of cAMP in iniating maturation of the brittle- star Amphipholis kochi oocytes: induction of oocyte maturation by inhibitors of cyclic nucleotide phosphodiesterase and activators of adenylate cyclase. Dev. Biol. 125, 109–114.
- 2000. Molecular mechanisms of the initiation of oocyte maturation: general and species-specific aspects. Prog. Cell Cycle Res. 4, 115–129. , , &
- 1988. Distributional consequences of adhesive eggs and anural development in the ascidian Molgula pacifica (Huntsman, 1912). Biol. Bull. 174, 39–46. , , , &
- 1986. Ovulation and placentation in Botryllus schlosseri (Ascidiacea): an ultrastructural study. Can. J. Zool. 65, 1181–1190. , &