Limb blastema cell: A stem cell for morphological regeneration
Article first published online: 5 NOV 2009
© 2009 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2009 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Special Issue: Comparative Aspects of Stem Cells
Volume 52, Issue 1, pages 89–99, January 2010
How to Cite
Tamura, K., Ohgo, S. and Yokoyama, H. (2010), Limb blastema cell: A stem cell for morphological regeneration. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 52: 89–99. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2009.01144.x
- Issue published online: 11 JAN 2010
- Article first published online: 5 NOV 2009
- Received 29 August 2009; revised 15 September 2009; accepted 15 September 2009.
- 2007. Unifying principles of regeneration I: epimorphosis versus morphallaxis. Dev. Growth Differ. 49, 73–78. , &
- 1995. Differential induction of four msx homeobox genes during fin development and regeneration in zebrafish. Development 121, 347–357. , , &
- 2003. Old questions, new tools, and some answers to the mystery of fin regeneration. Dev. Dyn. 226, 190–201. , , &
- 2007. Paired fin repair and regeneration. In: Fins into Limbs: Evolution, Development, and Transformation (ed. B. K.Hall), pp. 152–162, University of Chicago Press, Chicago. &
- 2005. Appendage regeneration in adult vertebrates and implication for regenerative medicine. Science 310, 1919–1923. &
- 2002. Vertebrate limb regeneration and the origin of limb stem cells. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 46, 887–896. , &
- 1955. Regeneration of the urodele forelimb after reversal of its proximo-distal axis. J. Morphol. 96, 265–281.
- 1999. Control of vertebrate limb outgrowth by the proximal factor Meis2 and distal antagonism of BMPs by Gremlin. Mol. Cell 4, 839–849. , , , &
- 1970. Regeneration in the African lungfish, Protopterus. I: gross aspects. J. Exp. Zool. 174, 15–32.
- 1973. Regeneration in the African lungfish, Protopterus. 3. Regeneration during fasting and estivation. Biol. Bull. 144, 248–261.
- 1998. Limb and kidney defects in Lmx1b mutant mice suggest an involvement of LMX1B in human nail patella syndrome. Nat. Genet. 19, 51–55. , , , , , , , &
- 1988. Retinoic acid coordinately proximalizes regenerate pattern and blastema differential affinity in axolotl limbs. Development 102, 687–698. &
- 1997. Novel regulatory interactions revealed by studies of murine limb pattern in Wnt-7a and En-1 mutants. Development 124, 5021–5032. , &
- 1962. Limb regeneration in larvae and metamorphosing individuals of the South African clawed toad. J. Morphol. 110, 61–77.
- 1997. Shh expression in developing and regenerating limb buds of Xenopus laevis. Dev. Dyn. 209, 227–232. , , &
- 2000. Analysis of gene expressions during Xenopus forelimb regeneration. Dev. Biol. 220, 296–306. , &
- 2002. The molecular basis of amphibian limb regeneration: integrating the old with the new. Semin. Cell Dev. Biol. 13, 345–352. , &
- 2007. Tetrapod limb regeneration. In: Fins into Limbs: Evolution, Development, and Transformation (ed. B. K.Hall), pp. 163–182. University of Chicago Press, Chicago. &
- 1997. Expression of Sonic hedgehog gene in regenerating newt limb blastemas recapitulates that in developing limb buds. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 94, 9159–9164. &
- 2009. Cells keep a memory of their tissue origin during axolotl limb regeneration. Nature 460, 60–65. , , , , , &
- 2008. Comparison of molecular and cellular events during lower jaw regeneration of newt (Cynops pyrrhogaster) and West African clawed frog (Xenopus tropicalis). Dev. Dyn. 237, 354–365. , , &
- 2005. Fgf signaling instructs position-dependent growth rate during zebrafish fin regeneration. Development 132, 5173–5183. , , , &
- 2004. Isolation of the chicken Lmbr1 coding sequence and characterization of its role during chick limb development. Dev. Dyn. 229, 520–528. &
- 2001. An epidermal signal regulates Lmx-1 expression and dorsal–ventral pattern during Xenopus limb regeneration. Dev. Biol. 229, 351–362. , , , &
- 1999. Conserved regulation of proximodistal limb axis development by Meis1/Hth. Nature 402, 425–429. , , , , , &
- 1986. Intrinsic control of regenerative loss in Xenopus laevis limbs. J. Exp. Zool. 240, 47–54. , &
- 2002. Ray-interray interactions during fin regeneration of Danio rerio. Dev. Biol. 252, 214–224. , , , , , , &
- 2007. Position dependence of hemiray morphogenesis during tail fin regeneration in Danio rerio. Dev. Biol. 312, 272–283. , , , , , , , , , &
- 2007. Cellular and molecular processes of regeneration, with special emphasis on fish fins. Dev. Growth Differ. 49, 145–154. , &
- 1956. Normal Table of Xenopus Laevis (Daudin). North-Holland Publ. Comp., Amsterdam. &
- 1965. Innervation and regeneration in orbitally transplanted limbs of Amblystoma larvae. Anat. Rec. 152, 439–450. &
- 2003. Tales of regeneration in zebrafish. Dev. Dyn. 226, 202–210. , &
- 1995. Induction of the LIM homeobox gene Lmx1 by WNT7a establishes dorsoventral pattern in the vertebrate limb. Cell 83, 631–640. , , , , &
- 1993. Sonic hedgehog mediates the polarizing activity of the ZPA. Cell 75, 1401–1416. , , &
- 2007. Polycomb/Trithorax response elements and epigenetic memory of cell identity. Development 134, 223–232. &
- 2005. Elimination of a long-range cis-regulatory module causes complete loss of limb-specific Shh expression and truncation of the mouse limb. Development 132, 797–803. , , , &
- 2004. Phylogenetic conservation of a limb-specific, cis-acting regulator of Sonic hedgehog (Shh). Mamm. Genome 15, 23–34. , , , , , , , &
- 1997. A novel family of T-box genes in urodele amphibian limb development and regeneration: candidate genes involved in vertebrate forelimb/hindlimb patterning. Development 124, 1355–1366. , , , , &
- 1968. The urodele limb regeneration blastema: a self-organizing system. I. Morphogenesis and differentiation of autografted whole and fractional blastemas. Dev. Biol. 18, 457–480.
- 1995. Regeneration of amphibian limbs. Wound Repair, Regeneration, and Artificial Tissues. R.G. Landes Co., Austin.
- 2004. Amphibian regeneration and stem cells. Curr. Top. Microbiol. Immunol. 280, 1–70.
- 2006. Characterization of Xenopus digits and regenerated limbs of the froglet. Dev. Dyn. 235, 3316–3326. , , , , , &
- 2005. Nerve-dependent and -independent events in blastema formation during Xenopus froglet limb regeneration. Dev. Biol. 286, 361–375. , , &
- 2006. Limb Regeneration in Xenopus laevis Froglet. ScientificWorldJournal 6, 26–37. , , , , &
- 2007. Transgenic Xenopus with prx1 limb enhancer reveals crucial contribution of MEK/ERK and PI3K/AKT pathways in blastema formation during limb regeneration. Dev. Biol. 304, 675–686. , , &
- 2007. Rethinking the proximodistal axis of the vertebrate limb in the molecular era. Genes Dev. 21, 1433–1442. &
- 2006. Induction of pluripotent stem cells from mouse embryonic and adult fibroblast cultures by defined factors. Cell 126, 663–676. &
- 2008. The autopod: its formation during limb development. Dev. Growth Differ. 50(Suppl. 1), S177–S187. , , , &
- 1966. Regeneration rate and amputation level in fish fins and lizard tails. Growth 30, 9–21. &
- 2006. Two different transgenes to study gene silencing and re-expression during zebrafish caudal fin and retinal regeneration. ScientificWorldJournal 6(Suppl 1), 65–81. , &
- 1999. Sonic hedgehog (shh) expression in developing and regenerating axolotl limbs. J. Exp. Zool. 284, 197–206. , , &
- 1995. Dorsal cell fate specified by chick Lmx1 during vertebrate limb development. Nature 378, 716–720. , , &
- 2002. Cell adhesiveness and affinity for limb pattern formation. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 46, 897–904. , , &
- 2007. Correlation between Shh expression and DNA methylation status of the limb-specific Shh enhancer region during limb regeneration in amphibians. Dev. Biol. 312, 171–182. , , , , , , , &
- 2009a. Repatterning in amphibian limb regeneration: a model for study of genetic and epigenetic control of organ regeneration. Semin. Cell Dev. Biol. 20, 565–574. , &
- 2009b. Effects of activation of Hedgehog signaling on patterning, growth and differentiation in Xenopus froglet limb regeneration. Dev. Dyn. 238, 1887–1896. , , , &
- 2007. Strategy and New developments in the generation of patient-specific pluripotent stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 1, 39–49.
- 2008. New regulators of vertebrate appendage regeneration. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 18, 381–386. &
- 1991. Homeobox gene expression correlated with the bifurcation process of limb cartilage development. Nature. 353, 443–445. , &
- 1995. Misexpression of Hoxa-13 induces cartilage homeotic transformation and changes cell adhesiveness in chick limb buds. Genes Dev.. 9, 2509–2522. , , , , , &
- 2000. Mesenchyme with fgf-10 expression is responsible for regenerative capacity in Xenopus limb buds. Dev. Biol. 219, 18–29. , , , , &
- 2001. FGF-10 stimulates limb regeneration ability in Xenopus laevis. Dev. Biol. 233, 72–79. , &
- 2008. Initiation of limb regeneration: the critical steps for regenerative capacity. Dev. Growth Differ. 50, 13–22.