Epigenetic regulation in neural stem cell differentiation
Version of Record online: 30 JUN 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Special Issue: Epigenetics
Volume 52, Issue 6, pages 493–504, August 2010
How to Cite
Juliandi, B., Abematsu, M. and Nakashima, K. (2010), Epigenetic regulation in neural stem cell differentiation. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 52: 493–504. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2010.01175.x
- Issue online: 21 JUL 2010
- Version of Record online: 30 JUN 2010
- Received 25 January 2010; revised 16 February 2010; accepted 17 February 2010.
- 2006. Chromatin signatures of pluripotent cell lines. Nat. Cell Biol. 8, 532–538. , , , , , , , , , &
- 2005. REST and its corepressors mediate plasticity of neuronal gene chromatin throughout neurogenesis. Cell 121, 645–657. , , , &
- 2009. Non-cell autonomous influence of MeCP2-deficient glia on neuronal dendritic morphology. Nat. Neurosci. 12, 311–317. , , &
- 2005. Evidence that embryonic neurons regulate the onset of cortical gliogenesis via cardiotrophin-1. Neuron 48, 253–265. , , , , , &
- 2006. A bivalent chromatin structure marks key developmental genes in embryonic stem cells. Cell 125, 315–326. , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2000. The DNA methyltransferases of mammals. Hum. Mol. Genet. 9, 2395–2402.
- 1997. Regulation of gliogenesis in the central nervous system by the JAK-STAT signaling pathway. Science 278, 477–483. , , , , , , , &
- 1998. A Notch affair. Cell 93, 499–503.
- 2008. The histone H3 lysine 27-specific demethylase Jmjd3 is required for neural commitment. PLoS ONE 3, e3034. , , , , , &
- 2001. mDll1 and mDll3 expression in the developing mouse brain: role in the establishment of the early cortex. J. Neurosci. Res. 64, 590–598. , , &
- 2000. Misexpression of basic helix-loop-helix genes in the murine cerebral cortex affects cell fate choices and neuronal survival. Development 127, 3021–3030. , &
- 2009. miR-124 regulates adult neurogenesis in the subventricular zone stem cell niche. Nat. Neurosci. 12, 399–408. , , &
- 2001. Identification of two distinct types of multipotent neural precursors that appear sequentially during CNS development. Mol. Cell. Neurosci. 17, 895–907.
- 2006. Reciprocal actions of REST and a microRNA promote neuronal identity. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 103, 2422–2427. , , &
- 1999. A complex pattern of evolutionary conservation and alternative polyadenylation within the long 3′-untranslated region of the methyl-CpG-binding protein 2 gene (MeCP2) suggests a regulatory role in gene expression. Hum. Mol. Genet. 8, 1253–1262. , , , &
- 1997. A component of the transcriptional repressor MeCP1 shares a motif with DNA methyltransferase and HRX proteins. Nat. Genet. 16, 256–259. , , &
- 2005. Physical association and coordinate function of the H3 K4 methyltransferase MLL1 and the H4 K16 acetyltransferase MOF. Cell 121, 873–885. , , , , , , , , &
- 2008. Global transcription in pluripotent embryonic stem cells. Cell Stem Cell 2, 437–447. , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2001. MLL and CREB bind cooperatively to the nuclear coactivator CREB-binding protein. Mol. Cell. Biol. 21, 2249–2258. , , , &
- 2005. DNA methylation controls the timing of astrogliogenesis through regulation of JAK-STAT signaling. Development 132, 3345–3356. , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1963. The matrix cell and cytogenesis in the developing central nervous system. J. Comp. Neurol. 120, 37–42.
- 1986. Transitory differentiation of matrix cells and its functional role in the morphogenesis of the developing vertebrate CNS. Curr. Top. Dev. Biol. 20, 223–242.
- 2003. The discovery of the matrix cell, the identification of the multipotent neural stem cell and the development of the central nervous system. Cell Struct. Funct. 28, 205–228.
- 1994. Expression of DNA methyltransferase gene in mature and immature neurons as well as proliferating cells in mice. Differentiation 56, 39–44. , , , , &
- 2003. Heterochromatin and epigenetic control of gene expression. Science 301, 798–802. &
- 2007. Spatial and temporal specification of neural fates by transcription factor codes. Development 134, 3771–3780.
- 2008. Astrocyte-specific genes are generally demethylated in neural precursor cells prior to astrocytic differentiation. PLoS ONE 3, e3189. , , , , &
- 2004. MicroRNAs: small RNAs with a big role in gene regulation. Nat. Rev. Genet. 5, 522–531. &
- 2009. Polycomb limits the neurogenic competence of neural precursor cells to promote astrogenic fate transition. Neuron 63, 600–613. , , , , , , , &
- 2004. Histone deacetylase inhibition-mediated neuronal differentiation of multipotent adult neural progenitor cells. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 101, 16659–16664. , , , &
- 2005. Chromatin remodeling in neural development and plasticity. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 17, 664–671. &
- 2003. Epigenetic regulation of gene expression: how the genome integrates intrinsic and environmental signals. Nat. Genet. 33(Suppl.), 245–254. &
- 2002. Transient forebrain ischemia alters the mRNA expression of methyl DNA-binding factors in the adult rat hippocampus. Neuroscience 115, 515–524. , , , &
- 2008. Valproic acid induces differentiation and inhibition of proliferation in neural progenitor cells via the beta-catenin-Ras-ERK-p21Cip/WAF1 pathway. BMC Cell Biol. 9, 66. , , , , , , , &
- 2008. Single-cell gene profiling defines differential progenitor subclasses in mammalian neurogenesis. Development 135, 3113–3124. , , , , , &
- 2006. Adult Neurogenesis. Oxford University Press, New York. .
- 2004. MECP2 is progressively expressed in post-migratory neurons and is involved in neuronal maturation rather than cell fate decisions. Mol. Cell. Neurosci. 27, 306–321. &
- 2008. Epigenetic regulation of neural cell differentiation plasticity in the adult mammalian brain. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 105, 18012–18017. , , , , , , , , , &
- 2006. Specific microRNAs modulate embryonic stem cell-derived neurogenesis. Stem Cells 24, 857–864. , , &
- 2008. Identification of dynamically regulated microRNA and mRNA networks in developing oligodendrocytes. J. Neurosci. 28, 11720–11730. , , , , &
- 1992. Purification, sequence, and cellular localization of a novel chromosomal protein that binds to methylated DNA. Cell 69, 905–914. , , , , , &
- 2000. BMP and FGF regulate the development of EGF-responsive neural progenitor cells. Development 127, 4993–5005. &
- 2009. Chromatin remodelling factor Mll1 is essential for neurogenesis from postnatal neural stem cells. Nature 458, 529–533. , , , , , , &
- 2006. Notch signaling in vertebrate neural development. Nat. Rev. Neurosci. 7, 93–102. &
- 2001. Notch and the birth of glial cells. Trends Neurosci. 24, 492–494. &
- 2002. Co-repressor-dependent silencing of chromosomal regions encoding neuronal genes. Science 298, 1747–1752. , , , , , , , , , &
- 2005. No rest for REST: REST/NRSF regulation of neurogenesis. Cell 121, 499–501. &
- 2007. Target mRNAs are repressed as efficiently by microRNA-binding sites in the 5′ UTR as in the 3′ UTR. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 104, 9667–9672. , &
- 2009. DNA excision repair proteins and Gadd45 as molecular players for active DNA demethylation. Cell Cycle 8, 1526–1531. , , &
- 2007. The microRNA miR-124 promotes neuronal differentiation by triggering brain-specific alternative pre-mRNA splicing. Mol. Cell 27, 435–448. , , &
- 2002. Histone deacetylase activity is necessary for oligodendrocyte lineage progression. J. Neurosci. 22, 10333–10345. , , &
- 2000. How cells read TGF-beta signals. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 1, 169–178.
- 2006. Hyperdynamic plasticity of chromatin proteins in pluripotent embryonic stem cells. Dev. Cell 10, 105–116. , , , , &
- 2006. Chromatin in pluripotent embryonic stem cells and differentiation. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 7, 540–546. &
- 2007. Genome-wide maps of chromatin state in pluripotent and lineage-committed cells. Nature 448, 553–560. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2002. MLL targets SET domain methyltransferase activity to Hox gene promoters. Mol. Cell 10, 1107–1117. , , , , , &
- 1996. Oligodendrocyte origins. Trends Neurosci. 19, 92–96.
- 2008. Requirement for COUP-TFI and II in the temporal specification of neural stem cells in central nervous system development. Nat. Neurosci. 11, 1014–1023. , , &
- 1999a. Developmental requirement of gp130 signaling in neuronal survival and astrocyte differentiation. J. Neurosci. 19, 5429–5434. , , , , , , , , &
- 1999b. Synergistic signaling in fetal brain by STAT3-Smad1 complex bridged by p300.. Science 284, 479–482. , , , , , , &
- 2008. Similar mechanisms regulated by gamma-secretase are involved in both directions of the bi-directional Notch-Delta signaling pathway as well as play a potential role in signaling events involving type 1 transmembrane proteins. Curr. Stem Cell Res. Ther. 3, 288–302. , , , &
- 2004. Developmental stage dependent regulation of DNA methylation and chromatin modification in a immature astrocyte specific gene promoter. FEBS Lett. 572, 184–188. , &
- 2009. Committed neuronal precursors confer astrocytic potential on residual neural precursor cells. Dev. Cell 16, 245–255. , , , , , &
- 1997. MeCP2 is a transcriptional repressor with abundant binding sites in genomic chromatin. Cell 88, 471–481. , &
- 2001. Neurons derived from radial glial cells establish radial units in neocortex. Nature 409, 714–720. , , , &
- 2004. Cortical neurons arise in symmetric and asymmetric division zones and migrate through specific phases. Nat. Neurosci. 7, 136–144. , , &
- 1995. Developmental signaling.Vertebrate ligands for Notch. Curr. Biol. 5, 966–969. &
- 2008. Spatio-temporal recapitulation of central nervous system development by murine ES cell-derived neural stem/progenitor cells. Stem Cells 26, 3086–3098. , , , , , , , &
- 1999. DNA methyltransferases Dnmt3a and Dnmt3b are essential for de novo methylation and mammalian development. Cell 99, 247–257. , , &
- 2008. MicroRNA-10a binds the 5′ UTR of ribosomal protein mRNAs and enhances their translation. Mol. Cell 30, 460–471. , &
- 2008. The bifunctional microRNA miR-9/miR-9* regulates REST and CoREST and is downregulated in Huntington’s disease. J. Neurosci. 28, 14341–14346. , , , &
- 2000. Timing of CNS cell generation: a programmed sequence of neuron and glial cell production from isolated murine cortical stem cells. Neuron 28, 69–80. , , , , , &
- 1998. Multiple routes to astrocytic differentiation in the CNS. J. Neurosci. 18, 3620–3629. &
- 2007. Illuminating the silence: understanding the structure and function of small RNAs. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 8, 23–36.
- 2001. Histone methylation versus histone acetylation: new insights into epigenetic regulation. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 13, 263–273. &
- 2000. DNA methylation in health and disease. Nat. Rev. Genet. 1, 11–19. &
- 2006. Methyl-CpG binding proteins are involved in restricting differentiation plasticity in neurons. J. Neurosci. Res. 84, 969–979. , , , , &
- 2002. Insight into Rett syndrome: MeCP2 levels display tissue- and cell-specific differences and correlate with neuronal maturation. Hum. Mol. Genet. 11, 115–124. , , &
- 2005. Histone modifications affect timing of oligodendrocyte progenitor differentiation in the developing rat brain. J. Cell Biol. 169, 577–589. , &
- 2004. Expression and function of orphan nuclear receptor TLX in adult neural stem cells. Nature 427, 78–83. , , , , , , &
- 2008. MicroRNA-9 modulates Cajal-Retzius cell differentiation by supressing Foxg1 expression in mouse medial pallium. J. Neurosci. 28, 10415–10421. , , , &
- 2005. Stage- and site-specific DNA demethylation during neural cell development from embryonic stem cells. J. Neurochem. 93, 432–439. , , &
- 1995. Developmental genetics. The Notch connection Nature 375, 736–737.
- 2005. Regulation of miRNA expression during neural cell specification. Eur. J. Neurosci. 21, 1469–1477. , , , , &
- 2004. FGF2-induced chromatin remodeling regulates CNTF-mediated gene expression and astrocyte differentiation. Nat. Neurosci. 7, 229–235. &
- 1994. The tripartite CNTF receptor complex: activation and signaling involves components shared with other cytokines. J. Neurobiol. 25, 1454–1466. &
- 2000. The language of covalent histone modifications. Nature 403, 41–45. &
- 2001. Neurogenin promotes neurogenesis and inhibits glial differentiation by independent mechanisms. Cell 104, 365–376. , , , , , , &
- 2001. DNA methylation is a critical cell-intrinsic determinant of astrocyte differentiation in the fetal brain. Dev. Cell 1, 749–758. , , , , , , , &
- 2001. The development of neural stem cells. Nature 414, 112–117.
- 1999. Distinct neural stem cells proliferate in response to EGF and FGF in the developing mouse telencephalon. Dev. Biol. 208, 166–188. , , , , &
- 2009. Neuronal differentiation of neural precursor cells is promoted by the methyl-CpG binding protein MeCP2. Exp. Neurol. 219, 104–111. , , , &
- 2007. The microRNA miR-124 antagonizes the anti-neural REST/SCP1 pathway during embryonic CNS development. Genes Dev. 21, 744–749. , , , &
- 2002. p300 and PCAF act cooperatively to mediate transcriptional activation from chromatin templates by notch intracellular domains in vitro. Mol. Cell. Biol. 22, 7812–7819. , , &
- 2003. MLL repression domain interacts with histone deacetylases, the polycomb group proteins HPC2 and BMI-1, and the corepressor C-terminal-binding protein. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100, 8342–8347. , , &
- 2009. HDAC1 and HDAC2 regulate oligodendrocyte differentiation by disrupting the β-catenin-TCF interaction. Nat. Neurosci. 12, 829–838. , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2005. Small CTD phosphatases function in silencing neuronal gene expression. Science 307, 596–600. , , , , &
- 1997. Cytosine methylation and the ecology of intragenomic parasites. Trends Genet. 13, 335–340. , &
- 2006. Epigenetic therapy of cancer: past, present and future. Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 5, 37–50. &
- 2008. Mind bomb 1-expressing intermediate progenitors generate notch signaling to maintain radial glial cells. Neuron 58, 519–531. , , , , , , , &
- 2009. A feedback regulatory loop involving microRNA-9 and nuclear receptor TLX in neural stem cell fate determination. Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 16, 365–371. , , &
- 2003. Mice lacking methyl-CpG binding protein 1 have deficits in adult neurogenesis and hippocampal function. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 100, 6777–6782. , , , , , , , , , , , , &