Present address: Kate Storey’s Lab, Division of Cell & Developmental Biology, College of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, Dow Street, Dundee, DD1 5EH, UK.
Gene manipulation of chick embryos in vitro, early chick culture, and long survival in transplanted eggs
Article first published online: 27 AUG 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Volume 52, Issue 7, pages 629–634, September 2010
How to Cite
Tanaka, J., Harada, H., Ito, K., Ogura, T. and Nakamura, H. (2010), Gene manipulation of chick embryos in vitro, early chick culture, and long survival in transplanted eggs. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 52: 629–634. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2010.01198.x
JT and KI are Research Assistants of Tohoku Neuroscience Global Center of Excellence, HH was a long term fellow of Japan Society for the Promotion of Science.
- Issue published online: 27 AUG 2010
- Article first published online: 27 AUG 2010
- Received 12 April 2010; revised 24 May 2010; accepted 25 May 2010.
- 2001. Improved method for chick whole-embryo culture using a filter paper carrier. Dev. Dyn. 220, 284–289. , , &
- 2009. Dynamic positional fate map of the primary heart-forming region. Dev. Biol. 332, 212–222. , , , , &
- 1999. Role of Pax-5 in the regulation of a mid-hindbrain organizer’s activity. Dev. Growth Differ. 41, 59–72. , , , , &
- 2008. Method for electroporation for the early chick embryo. Dev. Growth Differ. 50, 449–452. &
- 1951. A series of normal stages in the development of the chick embryo. J. Morphol. 88, 49–92. &
- 2005. In vivo analysis of mRNA stability using the Tet-Off system in the chicken embryo. Dev. Biol. 284, 292–300. , &
- 2000. Identification of a functional transposase of the Tol2 element, an Ac-like element from the Japanese medaka fish, and its transposition in the zebrafish germ lineage. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 97, 11403–11408. , &
- 2007. Tol2: a versatile gene transfer vector in vertebrates. Genome Biol. 8(Suppl 1), S7.
- 1995. Position independent expression and developmental regulation is directed by the beta myosin heavy chain gene’s 5′ upstream region in transgenic mice. Nucleic Acids Res. 23, 3301–3309. , &
- 2000. Ventricular expression of tbx5 inhibits normal heart chamber development. Dev. Biol. 223, 169–180. , &
- 2001. Localization of cells of the prospective neural plate, heart and somites within the primitive streak and epiblast of avian embryos at intermediate primitive-streak stages. Cells Tissues Organs 169, 334–346. , &
- 1972. Technique d’emplantation in ovo de blastodermes d’embryons d’Oiseaux. C. R. Acad. Sci. 166, 283–285.
- 1997. Comparison of three nonviral transfection methods for foreign gene expression in early chicken embryos in ovo. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 230, 376–380. , , &
- NakamuraN. (ed.). 2009. Electropolation and Sonoporation in Developmental Biology. Springer, Japan, Tokyo.
- 2008. Electroporation as an efficient method of gene transfer. Dev. Growth Differ. 50, 443–448. , &
- 1996. Fates and migratory routes of primitive streak cells in the chick embryo. Development 122, 1523–1534. &
- 2001. Fate map of early avian cardiac progenitor cells. Development 128, 2269–2279. , &
- 2007. Stable integration and conditional expression of electroporated transgenes in chicken embryos. Dev. Biol. 305, 616–624. , , , , , &
- 1991. Fate mapping and cell lineage analysis of Hensen’s node in the chick embryo. Development 112, 615–626. &
- 2009. EC culture: A Method to Culture Early Chick Embryos. In: Molecular Embryology Methods and Protocols, 2nd edn (eds P.Sharpe & I.Mason), pp. 255–264, Humana Pres, New York.
- 2010. Activation of Ras-ERK pathway by Fgf8 and its downregulation by Sprouty2 for the isthmus organizing activity. Dev. Biol. 337, 284–293. , , &
- 2008. Enhancer analysis by chicken embryo electroporation with aid of genome comparison. Dev. Growth Differ. 50, 467–474.
- 2007. Tet-on inducible system combined with in ovo electroporation dissects multiple roles of genes in somitogenesis of chicken embryos. Dev. Biol. 305, 625–636. , , , , , &