STAT signaling in Dictyostelium development
Version of Record online: 28 APR 2011
© 2011 The Author. Development, Growth & Differentiation © 2011 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Special Issue: SOCIAL AMOEBA AND THE ORIGIN OF MULTICELLULARITY
Volume 53, Issue 4, pages 548–557, May 2011
How to Cite
Kawata, T. (2011), STAT signaling in Dictyostelium development. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 53: 548–557. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2010.01243.x
- Issue online: 18 MAY 2011
- Version of Record online: 28 APR 2011
- Received 5 November 2010; revised 23 November 2010; accepted 26 November 2010.
- 2006. Analysis of a homologue of the adducin head gene which is a potential target for the Dictyostelium STAT protein Dd-STATa. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 50, 523–532. , , &
- 2002. Stat1-dependent, p53-independent expression of p21(waf1) modulates oxysterol-induced apoptosis. Mol. Cell. Biol. 22, 1981–1992. , , , &
- 1999. Functional roles of STAT family proteins: lessons from knockout mice. Stem Cells 17, 138–146.
- 1998. Developmentally and spatially regulated activation of a Dictyostelium STAT protein by a serpentine receptor. EMBO J. 17, 4018–4028. , , , , , , , &
- 2003. A STAT-regulated, stress-induced signalling pathway in Dictyostelium. J. Cell Sci. 116, 2907–2915. , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 2008. Evidence that DIF-1 and hyper-osmotic stress activate a Dictyostelium STAT by inhibiting a specific protein tyrosine phosphatase. Development 135, 1347–1353. , , , &
- 2010. Dual regulation of a Dictyostelium STAT by cGMP and Ca2+ signalling. J. Cell Sci. 123, 837–841. , , &
- 2006. JAK/STAT signalling in Drosophila: insights into conserved regulatory and cellular functions. Development 133, 2605–2616. &
- 2003. Thiol alkylation inhibits the mitogenic effects of platelet-derived growth factor and renders it proapoptotic via activation of STATs and p53 and induction of expression of caspase1 and p21(waf1/cip1). Oncogene 22, 117–130. , , , , &
- 1985. pH affects fruiting and slug orientation in Dictyostelium discoideum. J. Embryol. Exp. Morphol. 87, 207–213. , , &
- 2000. STATs in oncogenesis. Oncogene 19, 2474–2488. , , &
- 1999. Stat3 as an oncogene. Cell 98, 295–303. Erratum in: Cell 1999. 99, 239. , , , , , &
- 2008. Unphosphorylated STATs go nuclear. Curr. Opin. Genet. Dev. 18, 455–460. &
- 1996. Analysis of cell movement during the culmination phase of Dictyostelium development. Development 122, 761–769. , &
- 2001. Inducible nuclear translocation of a STAT protein in Dictyostelium prespore cells: implications for morphogenesis and cell-type regulation. Development 128, 1081–1088. , , &
- 2001. Protein tyrosine phosphatase PTP1 negatively regulates Dictyostelium STATa and is required for proper cell-type proportioning. Dev. Biol. 232, 233–245. , , , , , &
- 2004. Acquiring signalling specificity from the cytokine receptor gp130. Trends Genet. 20, 23–32. &
- 1997. cudA: a Dictyostelium gene with pleiotropic effects on cellular differentiation and slug behaviour. Development 124, 2719–2728. , &
- 2000. Analysis of the promoter of the cudA gene reveals novel mechanisms of Dictyostelium cell type differentiation. Development 127, 2705–2713. &
- 2001. Tyrosine phosphorylation independent nuclear translocation of a Dictyostelium STAT in response to DIF signaling. Mol. Cell 7, 779–788. Erratum in: Mol. Cell 2002. 9, 919. , , &
- 2003. The Dictyostelium prestalk cell inducer DIF regulates nuclear accumulation of a STAT protein by controlling its rate of export from the nucleus. Development 130, 797–804. , &
- 2011. Control of prestalk-cell differentiation by transcription factors. Development, Growth & Differentiation 53, 538–547.
- 2004. Identification of the linker-SH2 domain of STAT as the origin of the SH2 domain using two-dimensional structural alignment. Mol. Cell Proteomics 3, 704–714. , , , , &
- 1998. Activation of the Janus kinase/signal transducer and activator of transcription pathway by osmotic shock. J. Biol. Chem. 273, 22962–22968. , , , , , &
- 1994. Ammonia hypersensitivity of slugger mutants of D. discoideum. J. Cell Sci. 107, 701–708. , &
- 2000. Glycogen synthase kinase-3 enhances nuclear export of a Dictyostelium STAT protein. EMBO J. 19, 5483–5491. , , , , &
- 2006. The Dictyostelium kinome – analysis of the protein kinases from a simple model organism. PLoS Genet. 2, e38. , , , , , &
- 1992. Culmination in Dictyostelium is regulated by the cAMP-dependent protein kinase. Cell 69, 615–624. , , , , &
- 1993. A repressor controls the timing and spatial localisation of stalk cell-specific gene expression in Dictyostelium. Development 118, 1041–1048. , &
- 2000. Roles of STAT3 in mediating the cell growth, differentiation and survival signals relayed through the IL-6 family of cytokine receptors. Oncogene 19, 2548–2556. , &
- 1996. The initiation of basal disc formation in Dictyostelium discoideum is an early event in culmination. Development 122, 753–760. , &
- 1996. Evidence that a combined activator-repressor protein regulates Dictyostelium stalk cell differentiation. EMBO J. 15, 3085–3092. , &
- 1997. SH2 signaling in a lower eukaryote: a STAT protein that regulates stalk cell differentiation in Dictyostelium. Cell 89, 909–916. , , , , , , , &
- 2001. Dictyostelium: Evolution, Cell biology, and the Development of Multicellularity. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 1999. The novel tyrosine kinase ZAK1 activates GSK3 to direct cell fate specification. Cell 99, 399–408. , &
- 2002. Receptor-dependent and tyrosine phosphatasemediated inhibition of GSK3 regulates cell fate choice. Dev. Cell 3, 523–532. , &
- 2005. Ammonium transporter C of Dictyostelium discoideum is required for correct prestalk gene expression and for regulating the choice between slug migration and culmination. Dev. Biol. 287, 146–156. , , , &
- 1996. Protection against osmotic stress by cGMP-mediated myosin phosphorylation. Science 271, 207–209. , , &
- 2008. A Dictyostelium homologue of the metazoan Cbl proteins regulates STAT signalling. J. Cell Sci. 121, 3524–3530. , , &
- 2002. Stats: transcriptional control and biological impact. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 3, 651–662. &
- 2008. Canonical and non-canonical JAK-STAT signaling. Trends Cell Biol. 18, 545–551.
- 2010. Phosophotyrosine signaling: evolving a new cellular communication system. Cell 142, 661–667. &
- 1975. Dictyostelium discoideum, A Developmental System. Academic Press, New York.
- 1999. Evidence that the Dictyostelium Dd-STATa protein is a repressor that regulates commitment to stalk cell differentiation and is also required for efficient chemotaxis. Development 126, 3391–3405. , , , , , , , &
- 2007. STATc is a key regulator of the transcriptional response to hyperosmotic shock. BMC Genomics 8, 123. , &
- 2009. Role of an expansin-like molecule in Dictyostelium morphogenesis and regulation of its gene expression by the signal transducer and activator of transcription protein Dd-STATa. Develop. Growth Differ. 51, 109–122. , &
- 1998. Apparent caspase independence of programmed cell death in Dictyostelium. Curr. Biol. 8, 955–958. , , , , , &
- 2000. Osmotic stress response in Dictyostelium is mediated by cAMP. EMBO J. 19, 5782–5792. , , &
- 1999. The protein kinases of Caenorhabditis elegans: a model for signal transduction in multicellular organisms. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 96, 13603–13610. , , , &
- 1999. Glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK-3) is regulated during Dictyostelium development via the serpentine receptor cAR3. Development 126, 325–333. , , &
- 1940. Pseudoplasmodium formation and organization in Dictyostelium discoideum. J. Elisha Mitchell Sci. Soc. 56, 241–282.
- 2006. Tracking STAT nuclear traffic. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 6, 602–612. &
- 2004. Developmental cell death in Dictyostelium does not require paracaspase. J. Biol. Chem. 279, 11489–11494. , , , , &
- 2002. JAK-STAT signaling in human disease. J. Clin. Invest. 109, 1133–1137.
- 1977. Ammonia determines the choice of morphogenetic pathways in Dictyostelium discoideum. J. Mol. Biol. 116, 161–169. &
- 2007. Drosophila STAT is required for directly maintaining HP1 localisation and heterochoromatin stability. Nat. Cell Biol. 10, 489–496. , , , , , &
- 2004a. Extracellular matrix family proteins that are potential targets of Dd-STATa in Dictyostelium discoideum. J. Plant. Res. 117, 345–353. , , , &
- 2004b. Identification of new modes of Dd-STATa regulation of gene expression in Dictyostelium by in situ hybridisation. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 48, 679–682. , , &
- 2005. Evidence that the Dictyostelium STAT protein Dd-STATa plays a role in the differentiation of inner basal disc cells and identification of a promoter element essential for expression in these cells. Differentiation 73, 50–60. , , , &
- 2007. Evidence that noncoding RNA dutA is a multicopy suppressor of Dictyostelium STAT protein Dd-STATa. Eukaryot. Cell 6, 1030–1040. &
- 2010. SunB, a novel SUN domain-containing protein required for development of Dictyostelium discoideum. Dev. Growth Differ. 52, 577–590. , , &
- 2006. Function of ammonium transporter A in the initiation of culmination of development in Dictyostelium discoideum. Eukaryot. Cell 5, 991–996. , &
- 1952. The effect of salts and organic solutes on the migration time of the slime mold Dictyostelium discoideum. Biol. Bull. 102, 273–277. &
- 2004. Structure of an activated Dictyostelium STAT in its DNA-unbound form. Mol. Cell 13, 791–804. , , , , &
- 2000. Crossing the finish line of development: regulated secretion of Dictyostelium proteins. Trends Cell Biol. 10, 215–219. , &
- 1998. The anterior-like cells in Dictyostelium are required for the elevation of the spores during culmination. Dev. Genes. Evol. 208, 487–494.
- 2008. Expression of zinc transporter family genes in Dictyostelium. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 52, 377–381. , , , &
- 2001. Adenylyl cyclase A expression is tip-specific in Dictyostelium slugs and directs StatA nuclear translocation and CudA gene expression. Dev. Biol. 234, 151–160. , , &
- 1998. Structure of the amino-terminal protein interaction domain of STAT-4. Science 279, 1048–1052. , , &
- 2010a. Identification of a target for CudA, the transcription factor which directs formation of the Dictyostelium tip organiser. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 54, 161–165. &
- 2010b. Synergy between two transcription factors directs gene expression in Dictyostelium tip-organiser cells. Int. J. Dev. Biol. 55, 1301–1307. &
- 2006. C. elegans STAT: evolution of a regulatory switch. FASEB J. 20, 1641–1652. &
- 2003. Comparative analysis of spore coat formation, structure, and function in Dictyostelium. Int. Rev. Cytol. 222, 237–293.
- 1989. Origins of the prestalk-prespore pattern in Dictyostelium development. Cell 59, 1157–1163. , , , , , , &
- 2005. Manifestations of multicellularity: Dictyostelium reports in. Trends Genet. 21, 392–398. , &
- 2006. Transcriptional regulation of Dictyostelium pattern formation. EMBO Rep. 7, 694–698.
- 2010. Dictyostelium finds new roles to model. Genetics 185, 717–726.
- 2004. Transcriptional transitions during Dictyostelium spore germination. Eukaryot. Cell 3, 1101–1110. , , , , , , &
- 2005. Novel patterns of the gene expression regulation in the prestalk region along the antero-posterior axis during multicellular development of Dictyostelium. Gene Expr. Patterns 6, 63–68. , , &
- 2008. A new family of transcription factors. Development 135, 3093–3101. , , , &
- 2008. Roles of unphosphorylated STATs in signaling. Cell Res. 18, 443–451. &
- 2007. Crosstalk between cancer and immune cells: role of STAT3 in the tumor microenvironment. Nat. Rev. Immunol. 7, 41–51. , &
- 2009. STATs in cancer inflammantation and immunity: a leading role for STAT3. Nat. Rev. Cancer 9, 798–809. , &
- 2005. Implications of an antiparallel dimeric structure of nonphosphorylated STAT1 for the activation-inactivation cycle. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 102, 3966–3971. , , , , , , , , , &
- 2004. Dd-STATb, a Dictyostelium STAT protein with a highly aberrant SH2 domain, functions as a regulator of gene expression during growth and early development. Development 131, 447–458. , , , , , , &