Cell density sensing and size determination
Version of Record online: 27 APR 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Development, Growth & Differentiation © 2011 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Special Issue: SOCIAL AMOEBA AND THE ORIGIN OF MULTICELLULARITY
Volume 53, Issue 4, pages 482–494, May 2011
How to Cite
Gomer, R. H., Jang, W. and Brazill, D. (2011), Cell density sensing and size determination. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 53: 482–494. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2010.01248.x
- Issue online: 18 MAY 2011
- Version of Record online: 27 APR 2011
- Received 17 November 2010; revised 1 December 2010; accepted 2 December 2010.
- 2006. GABA induces terminal differentiation of Dictyostelium through a GABAB receptor. Development 133, 2253–2261. &
- 2009. Steroids initiate a signaling cascade that triggers rapid sporulation in Dictyostelium. Development 136, 803–812. , &
- 1997. A new spore differentiation factor (SDF) secreted by Dictyostelium cells is phosphorylated by the cAMP dependent protein kinase. Differentiation 62, 43–49. , , &
- 1998. Signal transduction pathways leading to spore differentiation in Dictyostelium discoideum. Dev. Biol. 193, 146–155. , , &
- 2007. A G protein-coupled receptor with a lipid kinase domain is involved in cell-density sensing. Curr. Biol. 17, 892–897. , , , , &
- 2008. The secreted Dictyostelium protein CfaD is a chalone. J. Cell Sci. 121, 2473–2480. , , , , &
- 2009. A Dictyostelium chalone uses G proteins to regulate proliferation. BMC Biol. 7, 44. , , &
- 1969. Adenosine-3′,5′-phosphate: identification as acrasine in a species of cellular slime mould. Science 165, 1133–1134.
- 1969. Hormones in social ameba and mammals. Sci. Am. 220, 78–91.
- 2006. The regulation of myosin II in Dictyostelium. Eur. J. Cell Biol. 85, 969–979. &
- 2002. A model for cGMP signal transduction in Dictyostelium in perspective of 25 years of cGMP research. J. Muscle Res. Cell Motil. 23, 781–791. &
- 1997. A cell-density sensing factor regulates the lifetime of a chemoattractant-induced Gα-GTP conformation. FEBS Lett. 404, 100–104. , &
- 1998. Cell density sensing mediated by a G protein-coupled receptor activating phospholipase C. J. Biol. Chem. 273, 8161–8168. , , &
- 1996. A Dictyostelium mutant with defective aggregate size determination. Development 122, 2569–2578. , , , , &
- 2003a. Two components of a secreted cell-number counting factor bind to cells and have opposing effects on cAMP signal transduction in Dictyostelium. J. Biol. Chem. 278, 52262–52272. , , , &
- 1999. A cell-counting factor regulating structure size in Dictyostelium. Genes Dev. 13, 1960–1969. &
- 2005. A secreted factor represses cell proliferation in Dictyostelium. Development 132, 4553–4562. &
- 2002. The different components of a multisubunit cell number-counting factor have both unique and overlapping functions. Development 129, 3657–3668. , , , , &
- 2003b. CF45-1, a secreted protein which participates in group size regulation in Dictyostelium. Eukaryot. Cell 2, 788–797. , , , , , & .
- 2006. A 60-kilodalton protein component of the counting factor complex regulates group size in Dictyostelium discoideum. Eukaryot. Cell 5, 1532–1538. , , , &
- 1987. Nature and distribution of the morphogen DIF in the Dictyostelium slug. Development 100, 119–124. , &
- 2000. Temporal progression of metastasis in lung: cell survival, dormancy, and location dependence of metastatic inefficiency. Cancer Res. 60, 2541–2546. , , , , , & .
- 2005. PldB, a putative phospholipase D homologue in Dictyostelium discoideum mediates quorum sensing during development. Eukaryot. Cell 4, 694–702. , , &
- 2009. Dictyostelium cells bind a secreted autocrine factor that represses cell proliferation. BMC Biochem. 10, 4. , , &
- 1992. Growing and starving Dictyostelium cells produce distinct density-sensing factors. Dev. Biol. 152, 403–406. , , &
- 1995. PSF and CMF, autocrine factors that regulate gene expression during growth and early development of Dictyostelium. Experientia 51, 1124–1134. &
- 1987. Density-dependent induction of discoidin-I synthesis in exponentially growing cells of Dictyostelium discoideum. Differentiation 34, 79–87. , &
- 2006. Mathematically modelling the effects of counting factor in Dictyostelium discoideum. Math. Med. Biol. 23, 45–62. , &
- 2002. A single cell-density sensing factor stimulates distinct signal transduction pathways through two different receptors. J. Biol. Chem. 277, 31972–31979. , , &
- 1999. A putative receptor mediating cell-density sensing in Dictyostelium. J. Biol. Chem. 274, 34476–34482. &
- 2001. Tumour dormancy: findings and hypotheses from clinical research on breast cancer. Semin. Cancer Biol. 11, 297–306.
- 2004. Evidence for a size-sensing mechanism in animal cells. Nat. Cell Biol. 6, 899–905. , , , &
- 1991. Signal transduction and gene expression in Dictyostelium discoideum. Dev. Genet. 12, 2–5. , , &
- 2010. PRM-151 (recombinant human serum amyloid P/pentraxin 2) for the treatment of fibrosis. Drug News Perspect. 23, 305–315. &
- 2002. Activation and inhibition of lymphocytes by costimulation. J. Clin. Invest. 109, 295–299. &
- 2002. Cells respond to and bind countin, a component of a multisubunit cell number counting factor. J. Biol. Chem. 277, 32596–32605. , , , , &
- 2004. A cell number counting factor regulates Akt/Protein Kinase B to regulate group size in Dictyostelium discoideum group size. Eukaryot. Cell 3, 1176–1184. , , , &
- 2007. Cysteine cathepsins and the cutting edge of cancer invasion. Cell Cycle 6, 60–64. &
- 2001. Not being the wrong size. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 2, 48–54.
- 1986a. cAMP induction of prespore and prestalk gene expression in Dictyostelium is mediated by the cell-surface cAMP receptor. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 83, 8624–8628. , , &
- 1986b. Cellular and subcellular distribution of a cAMP-regulated prestalk protein and prespore protein in Dictyostelium discoideum: a study on the ontogeny of prestalk and prespore cells. J. Cell Biol. 103, 1999–2015. , &
- 2009. A serum amyloid P-binding hydrogel speeds healing of partial thickness wounds in pigs. Wound Repair Regen. 17, 397–404. , , et al.
- 1991. A secreted 80 × 103 Mr protein mediates sensing of cell density and the onset of development in Dictyostelium. Development 112, 269–278. , &
- 1978. Effector controlling accumulation of N-acteylglucosaminidase during development of Dictyostelium discoideum. Dev. Biol. 64, 203–209. &
- 1983. Intracellular pH and the control of cell differentiation in Dictyostelium discoideum. Nature 303, 244–245. , , &
- 2001. A primary tumor promotes dormancy of solitary tumor cells before inhibiting angiogenesis. Cancer Res. 61, 5575–5579. , , et al.
- 2006. Bone marrow-derived fibroblast precursors mediate ischemic cardiomyopathy in mice. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A 103, 18284–18289. , , , , , , , , , & .
- 1995. Dormancy of micrometastases: balanced proliferation and apoptosis in the presence of angiogenesis suppression. Nat. Med. 1, 149–153. , &
- 1995. A proteinous factor mediating intercellular communication during the transition of Dictyostelium cells from growth to differentiation. Zool. Sci. 12, 61–69. , &
- 1994. A developmentally regulated cell surface receptor for a density-sensing factor in Dictyostelium. J. Biol. Chem. 269, 9128–9136. &
- 1992. A density-sensing factor controls development in Dictyostelium. Genes Dev. 6, 390–400. , , &
- 2002. A secreted cell-number counting factor represses intracellular glucose levels to regulate group size in Dictyostelium. J. Biol. Chem. 277, 39202–39208. , &
- 2005. Exposure of cells to a cell-number counting factor decreases the activity of glucose-6-phosphatase to decrease intracellular glucose levels in Dictyostelium. Eukaryot. Cell 4, 72–81. &
- 2006. A protein in crude cytosol regulates glucose-6-phosphatase activity in crude microsomes to regulate group size in Dictyostelium. J. Biol. Chem. 281, 16377–16383. &
- 2008. Combining experiments and modelling to understand size regulation in Dictyostelium discoideum. J. R. Soc. Interface 5(Suppl 1), S49–S58. &
- 2009. A cell number counting factor alters cell metabolism. Commun Integr. Biol. 2, 293–297. , &
- 1997. Cytology of Ki-1-positive anaplastic large cell lymphoma. A report of two cases. Acta Cytol 41, 1253–1260. &
- 2004. Cysteine cathepsins in human cancer. Biol. Chem. 385, 1017–1027. &
- 2004. How cells coordinate growth and division. Curr. Biol. 14, R1014–R1027. &
- 1982. cAMP and spore differentiation in Dictyostelium discoideum. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 79, 3228–3231.
- 2005. A cysteine-rich extracellular protein containing a PA14 domain mediates quorum sensing in Dictyostelium discoideum. Eukaryot. Cell 4, 991–998. , , , , , , , & .
- 1991. Molecular genetic analysis of two Galpha protein subunits in Dictyostelium. J. Biol. Chem. 266, 1220–1228. , , &
- 1989. Regulation and function of Gα protein subunits in Dictyostelium. Cell 57, 265–275. , , , , &
- 1998. Chemotactic and osmotic signals share a cGMP transduction pathway in Dictyostelium discoideum. FEBS Lett. 424, 248–252. &
- 1989. Studies on the accumulation of the differentiation-inducing factor (DIF) in high-cell-density monolayers of Dictyostelium discoideum. Dev. Biol. 132, 554–558. &
- 1975. Richter’s syndrome. A terminal complication of chronic lymphocytic leukemia with distinct clinicopathologic features. Am. J. Clin. Pathol. 63, 786–795. &
- 1998. Multistep nature of metastatic inefficiency: dormancy of solitary cells after successful extravasation and limited survival of early micrometastases. Am. J. Pathol. 153, 865–873. , , , , , & .
- 1989. Two-phase regulatory pathway controls cAMP receptor-mediated expression of early genes in Dictyostelium. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 86, 1924–1928. &
- 1977. 3′:5′-Cyclic AMP-dependent 3′:5′-cyclic GMP accumulation in Dictyostelium discoideum. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 74, 2348–2351. , , &
- 1985. A secreted factor and cyclic AMP jointly regulate cell-type-specific gene expression in Dictyostelium discoideum. Mol. Cell. Biol. 5, 705–713. &
- 1993. The surface cyclic AMP receptors, cAR1, cAR2, and cAR3, promote Ca2+ influx in Dictyostelium discoideum by a G alpha-2-independent mechanism. Mol. Biol. Cell 4, 283–292. &
- 1997. Random mutagenesis of the cAMP chemoattractant receptor, cAR1, of Dictyostelium– Evidence for multiple states of activation. J. Biol. Chem. 272, 2069–2076. , &
- 2008. Serum amyloid P inhibits dermal wound healing. Wound Repair Regen. 16, 266–273. , , , , , & .
- 2005. Involvement of cathepsins in the invasion, metastasis and proliferation of cancer cells. J. Med. Invest. 52, 1–9. &
- 1995. Small giant cell carcinoma of the lung diagnosed preoperatively by transthoracic aspiration cytology. A case report. Acta Cytol. 39, 129–133. , , et al.
- 1997. Angiostatin: an endogenous inhibitor of angiogenesis and of tumor growth. EXS 79, 273–294.
- 2008. Metastatic dormancy imposed by the primary tumor: does it exist in humans? Ann. Surg. Oncol. 15, 3308–3315. , , &
- 2003. Inhibition of fibrocyte differentiation by serum amyloid P. J. Immunol. 171, 5537–5546. , , &
- 2007. Reduction of bleomycin-induced pulmonary fibrosis by serum amyloid P. J. Immunol. 179, 4035–4044. , , , , , & .
- 2002. Ultrastructural and immunohistochemical characterization of the so-called giant multinucleate cells in cutaneous collagenomas. Histopathology 41, 134–143. , , , , &
- 1992. Expression of early developmental genes in Dictyostelium discoideum is initiated during exponential growth by an autocrine-dependent mechanism. Mech. Dev. 36, 173–182. &
- 1991. Induction of gene expression in Dictyostelium by prestarvation factor, a factor secreted by growing cells. Dev. Genet. 12, 82–87. , &
- 1993. Evolutionary families of peptidases. Biochem. J. 290 (Pt 1), 205–218. &
- 2011. Phospholipase D controls Dictyostelium development by regulating G protein signaling. Cell. Signal. 23, 335–343. , , , &
- 2004. How to reach the right size? Med. Sci. (Paris) 20, 219–224. &
- 2000. A precise group size in Dictyostelium is generated by a cell-counting factor modulating cell-cell adhesion. Mol. Cell 6, 953–959. , &
- 2002. cAMP signaling in Dictyostelium– Complexity of cAMP synthesis, degradation and detection. J. Muscle Res. Cell Motil. 23, 793–802. , , , , &
- 2002. Why size matters: altering cell size. Curr. Opin. Genet. Devel. 12, 565–571. &
- 1986. Interactions between adenosine and oscillatory cAMP signaling regulate size and pattern in Dictyostelium. Cell 45, 137–144. &
- 1996. Mutagenesis and gene identification in Dictyostelium by shotgun antisense. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 93, 5003–5007. , , , &
- 1988. Proportion regulation in Dictyostelium is altered by oxygen. Differentiation 37, 173–179.
- 2001. A cell number-counting factor regulates group size in Dictyostelium by differentially modulating cAMP-induced cAMP and cGMP pulse sizes. J. Biol. Chem. 276, 27663–27669. , , &
- 2002. A cell number-counting factor regulates the cytoskeleton and cell motility in Dictyostelium. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 99, 1371–1376. , , , , , & .
- 2004. A bZIP/bRLZ transcription factor required for DIF signaling in Dictyostelium. Development 131, 513–523. , , , &
- 1996. The cell density factor CMF regulates the chemoattractant receptor cAR1 in Dictyostelium. J. Cell Biol. 134, 1543–1549. , &
- 1997. CAMP, a signal for survival. In: Dictyostelium – A Model System for Cell and Developmental Biology (eds Y.Maeda, K.Inouye & I.Takeuchi), pp. 145–162, Universal Academy Press, Tokyo, Japan. &
- 1991. Evidence for the Presence of a Growth Factor in Dictyostelium discoideum. Dev. Genet. 12, 78–81. , &
- 1987. Direct induction of Dictyostelium prestalk gene expression by DIF provides evidence that DIF is a morphogen. Cell 49, 185–192. , , , , , , & .
- 1977. Cyclic GMP in Dictyostelium discoideum; Oscillations and pulses in response to folic acid and cyclic AMP signals. FEBS Lett. 76, 141–144. , , &
- 1991. A possible role for DIF-2 in the formation of stalk cells during Dictyostelium development. Dev. Biol. 145, 195–200. , &
- 1994. Cell density-sensing in Dictyostelium by means of the accumulation rate, diffusion coefficient and activity threshold of a protein secreted by starved cells. J. Theor. Biol. 167, 273–282. &
- 1995. A density-sensing factor regulates signal transduction in Dictyostelium. J. Cell Biol. 129, 1251–1262. , , , , , & .
- 1991. Regulation and processing of a secreted protein that mediates sensing of cell density in Dictyostelium. Development 113, 1375–1385. , , &
- 2005. Phospholipase D activity is essential for actin localization and actin-based motility in Dictyostelium. Biochem. J. 389, 207–214. , , , , , , & .