Present address: Department of Biology, East China Normal University, Shanghai, China.
Regulation of spatiotemporal expression of cell–cell adhesion molecules during development of Dictyostelium discoideum
Article first published online: 18 MAY 2011
© 2011 The Authors. Development, Growth & Differentiation © 2011 Japanese Society of Developmental Biologists
Development, Growth & Differentiation
Special Issue: SOCIAL AMOEBA AND THE ORIGIN OF MULTICELLULARITY
Volume 53, Issue 4, pages 518–527, May 2011
How to Cite
Siu, C.-H., Sriskanthadevan, S., Wang, J., Hou, L., Chen, G., Xu, X., Thomson, A. and Yang, C. (2011), Regulation of spatiotemporal expression of cell–cell adhesion molecules during development of Dictyostelium discoideum. Development, Growth & Differentiation, 53: 518–527. doi: 10.1111/j.1440-169X.2011.01267.x
- Issue published online: 18 MAY 2011
- Article first published online: 18 MAY 2011
- Received 21 February 2011; revised 7 March 2011; accepted 8 March 2011.
- 2010. Diverse evolutionary paths to cell adhesion. Trends Cell Biol. 20, 734–742. &
- 2009. Polymorphic members of the lag gene family mediate Kin discrimination in Dictyostelium. Curr. Biol. 19, 567–572. , , , , , , , , , &
- 1970. Specific inhibition of cell contact formation in Dictyostelium by univalent antibodies. Exp. Cell Res. 63, 147–158. , , , &
- 1998. The origins of multicellularity. Integr. Biol. 1, 27–36.
- 2004. Comparison of molecular mechanisms mediating cell contact phenomena in model developmental systems: an exploration of universality. Biol. Rev. Camb. Philos. Soc. 79, 611–642. , &
- 1993. Characterization of the cell adhesion molecule gp24 in Dictyostelium discoideum. Mediation of cell-cell adhesion via a Ca2+-dependent mechanism. J. Biol. Chem. 268, 24902–24909. &
- 2001. Cell-cell adhesion and signal transduction during Dictyostelium development. J. Cell Sci. 114, 4349–4358. &
- 1992. Identification of a unique cAMP-response element in the gene encoding the cell adhesion molecule gp80 in Dictyostelium discoideum. J. Biol. Chem. 267, 19655–19664. , , &
- 1994. Involvement of cell-cell adhesion in the expression of the cell cohesion molecule gp80 in Dictyostelium discoideum. J. Cell Sci. 107, 1705–1712. , &
- 1994. LagC is required for cell-cell interactions that are essential for cell type differentiation in Dictyostelium. Genes Dev. 8, 948–958. , , , , &
- 1993. Two distinct adhesion systems are responsible for EDTA-sensitive adhesion in Dictyostelium discoideum. Differentiation 53, 139–147.
- 1988. Contact alters cAMP metabolism in aggregation-competent Dictyostelium amoebae. Dev. Genet. 9, 279–292. &
- 1991a. Dictyostelium discoideum lipids modulate cell-cell cohesion and cyclic AMP signaling. Mol. Cell. Biol. 11, 468–475. , &
- 1991b. Cell-cell contact mediates cAMP secretion in Dictyostelium discoideum. Dev. Genet. 12, 54–62. , &
- 1991. Cell adhesion molecules: implications for a molecular histology. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 60, 155–190. &
- 1992. Purification and partial characterization of a cell adhesion molecule (gp150) involved in postaggregation stage cell–cell binding in Dictyostelium discoideum. J. Biol. Chem. 267, 9409–9415. , &
- 1980. Univalent antibody fragments as tools for the analysis of cell interactions in Dictyostelium. Curr. Top. Dev. Biol. 14, 243–270.
- 2007. The evolution of multicellularity: a minor major transition? Annu. Rev. Ecol. Evol. Syst. 38, 621–654. &
- 1996. Cell adhesion: the molecular basis of tissue architecture and morphogenesis. Cell 84, 345–357.
- 2005. Regulation of cadherin-mediated adhesion in morphogenesis. Nat. Rev. Mol. Cell Biol. 6, 622–634.
- 2001a. Involvement of a Triton-insoluble floating fraction in Dictyostelium cell-cell adhesion. J. Biol. Chem. 276, 18640–18648. , , , , &
- 2001b. Assembly of glycoprotein-80 adhesion complexes in Dictyostelium: receptor compartmentalization and oligomerization in membrane rafts. J. Biol. Chem. 276, 48764–48774. , &
- 2003. Cytoskeleton interactions involved in the assembly and function of glycoprotein-80 adhesion complexes in Dictyostelium. J. Biol. Chem. 278, 2614–2623. , , &
- 2002. Reciprocal raft-receptor interactions and the assembly of adhesion complexes. Bioessays 24, 996–1003. &
- 2004. A prehistory of cell adhesion. Curr. Opin. Cell Biol. 16, 470–476. &
- 2001. Expression patterns of cell-type specific genes in Dictyostelium. Mol. Biol. Cell 12, 2590–2600. , , , , &
- 2006. Transcriptional regulation of post-aggregation genes in Dictyostelium by a feed-forward loop involving GBF and LagC. Dev. Biol. 290, 460–469. , &
- 1990. Regulation of slug size by the cell adhesion molecule gp80 in Dictyostelium discoideum. Cell Regul. 1, 715–729. , &
- 2003a. A novel developmental mechanism in Dictyostelium revealed in a screen for communication mutants. Dev. Biol. 259, 193–208. , , , , , , &
- 2003b. A cell-adhesion pathway regulates intercellular communication during Dictyostelium development. Dev. Biol. 264, 506–521. , , , &
- 2007. The genome of the choanoflagellate Monosiga brevicollis and the origin of metazoans. Nature 451, 783–788. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , &
- 1987. Surface glycoprotein, gp24, involved in early adhesion of Dictyostelium discoideum. Dev. Biol. 121, 277–283. , &
- 1981. Differential cell cohesiveness expressed by prespore and prestalk cells of Dictyostelium discoideum. Differentiation 20, 22–28. , , &
- 2004. (1)H, (13)C and (15)N resonance assignments of Ca(2+)-free DdCAD-1: a Ca(2+)-dependent cell-cell adhesion molecule. J. Biomol. NMR 3, 375–376. , , &
- 2006. Solution structures of the adhesion molecule DdCAD-1 reveal new insights into Ca2+-dependent cell-cell adhesion. Nat. Struct. Mol. Biol. 13, 1016–1022. , , , &
- 1972. Role of the surface sheath in the control of morphogenesis in Dictyostelium discoideum. Nat. New Biol. 240, 6–9.
- 1990. A pharmacologically distinct cyclic AMP receptor is responsible for the regulation of gp80 expression in Dictyostelium discoideum. Mol. Cell. Biol. 10, 3297–3306. &
- 1989. Two-phase regulatory pathway controls cAMP receptor-mediated expression of early genes in Dictyostelium. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 86, 1924–1928. &
- 2005. DNG1, a Dictyostelium homologue of tumor suppressor ING1 regulates differentiation of Dictyostelium cells. Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 62, 1734–1743. , &
- 2000. Autophagic tubes: vacuolar invaginations involved in lateral membrane sorting and inverse vesicle budding. J. Cell Biol. 151, 519–528. , , , , &
- 2006. From cell-cell adhesion and cellular oscillations to spectacular views inside the cell – 50 years of research with Dictyostelium. Eur. J. Cell Biol. 85, 851–858. &
- 2008. Unconventional mechanisms of protein transport to the cell surface of eukaryotic cells. Annu. Rev. Cell Dev. Biol. 24, 287–308. &
- 1986. Complete sequence and transcript regulation of a cell adhesion protein from aggregating Dictyostelium cells. EMBO J. 5, 1473–1476. , , &
- 2008. A 3-D model used to explore how cell adhesion and stiffness affect cell sorting and movement in multicellular systems. J. Theor. Biol. 254, 1–13.
- 1996. Molecular genetics of signal transduction in Dictyostelium. Annu. Rev. Biochem. 65, 411–440. &
- 2007. Nonclassical IL-1 beta secretion stimulated by P2X7 receptors is dependent on inflammasome activation and correlated with exosome release in murine macrophages. J. Immunol. 179, 1913–1925. , , &
- 2000. A precise group size in Dictyostelium is generated by a cell-counting factor modulating cell–cell adhesion. Mol. Cell 6, 953–959. , , &
- 1993. Characterization of the signal transduction pathways and cis-acting DNA sequence responsible for the transcriptional induction during growth and development of the lysosomal α-mannosidase gene in Dictyostelium discoideum. J. Biol. Chem. 268, 19632–19639. , , , , &
- 2004. The identification of Dictyostelium phosphoproteins altered in response to the activation of RasG. Proteomics 4, 2629–2639. , , &
- 2006. An activated Ras protein alters cell adhesion by dephosphorylating Dictyostelium DdCAD-1. Microbiology 152, 1497–1505. , , &
- 1996. Novel redistribution of the Ca2+-dependent cell adhesion molecule DdCAD-1 during development of Dictyostelium discoideum. Dev. Biol. 177, 504–516. &
- 1997. The cell adhesion molecule DdCAD-1 in Dictyostelium is targeted to the cell surface by a nonclassical transport pathway involving contractile vacuoles. J. Cell Biol. 138, 939–951. , &
- 1983. Involvement of a cell surface glycoprotein in the cell sorting process of Dictyostelium discoideum. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 80, 6596–6600. , &
- 1997. Cell adhesion molecules in Dictyostelium. In Dictyostelium– A Model System for Cell and Development Biology (Eds. Y.Maeda, K.Inouye, I.Takeuchi), pp. 69–79. Universal Academy Press, Tokyo. , , , , &
- 2004. Regulation of cell-cell adhesion during Dictyostelium development. Semin. Cell Dev. Biol. 15, 633–641. , , &
- 1988. Expression of the contact site A glycoprotein in Dictyostelium discoideum: quantitation and developmental regulation. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 968, 283–290. , &
- 2007. Novel functions and transport mechanism associated with the Ca2+dependent cell adhesion molecule DdCAD-1 in Dictyostelium. Recent Res. Dev. Cell Biol. 3, 9–21. , , &
- 2009. Cell adhesion molecule DdCAD-1 is imported into contractile vacuoles by membrane invagination in a Ca2+- and conformation-dependent manner. J. Biol. Chem. 284, 36377–36386. , , , &
- 2011. The cell adhesion molecule DdCAD-1 regulates morphogenesis through differential spatiotemporal expression in Dictyostelium discoideum. Development (In press). , , , &
- 2001. A cell number-counting factor regulates group size in Dictyostelium by differentially modulating cAMP-induced cAMP and cGMP pulse sizes. J. Biol. Chem. 276, 27663–27669. , , &
- 1990. Regulation of the Discoidin Iγ gene in Dictyostelium discoideum: identification of individual promoter elements mediating induction of transcription and repression by cyclic AMP. Mol. Cell. Biol. 10, 4080–4088. , , , &
- 2006. Protein family expansions and biological complexity. PLoS Comput. Biol. 2, e48. &
- 2000. The membrane glycoprotein gp150 is encoded by the lagC gene and mediates cell–cell adhesion by heterophilic binding during Dictyostelium development. Dev. Biol. 27, 734–745. , , , , &
- 2009. Collective cell migration in development. J. Cell Sci. 122, 3215–3223.
- 2010. Dictyostelium finds new roles to model. Genetics 185, 717–726.
- 1996. Molecular cloning and characterization of DdCAD-1, a Ca2+-dependent cell-cell adhesion molecule, in Dictyostelium discoideum. J. Biol. Chem. 271, 16399–16408. , , , &
- 2002. Disruption of the gene encoding the cell adhesion molecule DdCAD-1 leads to aberrant cell sorting and cell-type proportioning during Dictyostelium development. Development 129, 3839–3850. , , , , &
- 1986. Cloning of cDNA for the contact site A glycoprotein of Dictyostelium discoideum. Proc. Natl Acad. Sci. USA 83, 4248–4252. &
- 1997. Synthesis of the Ca2+-dependent cell adhesion molecule DdCAD-1 is regulated by multiple factors during Dictyostelium development. Differentiation 61, 275–284. , , &
- 2006. Cleavage with phospholipase of the lipid anchor in the cell adhesion molecule, csA, from Dictyostelium discoideum. Comp. Biochem. Physiol. B Biochem. Mol. Biol. 143, 138–144. , , &